All "which distro should I choose?" queries here.

Chetan1991

Youngling
I was considering CentOS since its "everything" DVD iso comes with lots of programs such as LAMP package built in, and it is known for its stability, whereas some older versions of Ubuntu I've used to drain my laptop's battery very quickly, among other glitches, probably due to incompatibility with the GPU. Has anyone personally tried these distros on a machine with an AMD GPU?

kamikaz

Ambassador of Buzz
Well your listed card, 5450, should work just fine with open source drivers ! And I also recommend the latest kernels for better performance on amd gpu and the latest open source drivers, the default Ubuntu repository has drivers which lag behind a bit
On the proprietary side amd still had support for 5xxx series, I think
But I don't have much experience using them or their compatibility but you are better off with open source ones
You can always make a live USB and see how the distro performs on your system
Well if you look around you might be able to find a Ubuntu based distro with all those apps built in, distrowatch.com is a good place to look at distros and reviews
But I think it's better to start of with a basic system and add what you want to it, installing software isn't that hard!

ankush28

Bazinga
+1 to Linux Mint, you won't need to install codecs, etc for mp3 support (ubuntu by default doesn't supports mp3 playback :( )
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras is all you need. Switching to mint for such small reason is not good idea. Plus for development purposes Ubuntu is better than mint.
I want to setup a linux distro for web development and some android app development.

Which one should I go for? Ubuntu 14.04 LTS / Mint or CentOS 7?

I am taking this step because after a year or more Windows installation becomes slow and erratic even if you manage startup processes, keep it virus free etc.

I would like to have an OS that is stable for some time, compatible with my 4 year old laptop, and doesn't has problems with its ATI mR 5450 GPU. It also needs to have a nice "package management" system to easily allow installation and uninstallation of software.
Ubuntu 14.04 w/o any doubts.
Ubuntu has better support for mtp, adb and some other android development related stuff.
Easy insallation/uninstallation - Synaptic package manager! Period.
If laptop is really low powered than try - *ubuntu-mate.org/

Shah

Cyborg Agent
I need suggestion for a linux distro that supports D-Link DWA 123 B1 wireless adapter. I was previously using Ubuntu but had to switch to Windows 8 as it didn't support DWA-123 B1 thus no internet connectivity.

Also, I have already tried all the workarounds to make it work on Ubuntu. But, none of them worked. After that I had even tried Kali Linux and Puppy Linux, they never recognized the device.

Any linux distro will do as far as the boot time is good. The system will be used only for web development on LAMP. At present I use Notepad++ on Windows. So, I also need suggestion for an alternative to it. Even if not for all the features of N++, I need syntax highlighting and multitab support.

I have lenovo flex 2 touch screen laptop.
I want to dual boot linux(for coding) with windows 8.1.

I'm trying to find linux os for touch screen laptop.
OS which support all touch features i.e multi-touch etc.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I have lenovo flex 2 touch screen laptop.
I want to dual boot linux(for coding) with windows 8.1.

I'm trying to find linux os for touch screen laptop.
OS which support all touch features i.e multi-touch etc.

Try

ReleaseNote 4.4-RC1 - Android-x86 - Porting Android to x86

I don't want to install android on my laptop.
I'm learning Linux administration, thats why I need a linux os with multitouch support.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
An Enlightenment desktop based distro might be suitable for you for eg. Bodhi Linux. I am not totally sure yet. The newer KDE is supposed to support touch too eg. KaOS.

ankush28

Bazinga
Re: All "which distro should I choose?" queries here.

I'm learning Linux administration, thats why I need a linux os with multitouch support.

CentOS 7.0 or Fedora 21 with (Gnome 3.10+ or KDE 5+)

- - - Updated - - -

I need suggestion for a linux distro that supports D-Link DWA 123 B1 wireless adapter. I was previously using Ubuntu but had to switch to Windows 8 as it didn't support DWA-123 B1 thus no internet connectivity.

Also, I have already tried all the workarounds to make it work on Ubuntu. But, none of them worked. After that I had even tried Kali Linux and Puppy Linux, they never recognized the device.

Any linux distro will do as far as the boot time is good. The system will be used only for web development on LAMP. At present I use Notepad++ on Windows. So, I also need suggestion for an alternative to it. Even if not for all the features of N++, I need syntax highlighting and multitab support.

Sublime text - not just alternative, far superior that N++. Available on all three platforms.

For wireless adapters you can try your luvk with newer kernels. ;) Also googling might help.

spxx

Broken In

huhh know this a old post but have to correct this , android IS linux !!!! android as a OS is based on a linux kernel , and from there different OS's branch out like , deb, Ubuntu, centos , tails etc ... including android, it is just that as a OS it is currently optimized for mobile , tab and touch screens.

ankush28

Bazinga
huhh know this a old post but have to correct this , android IS linux !!!! android as a OS is based on a linux kernel , and from there different OS's branch out like , deb, Ubuntu, centos , tails etc ... including android, it is just that as a OS it is currently optimized for mobile , tab and touch screens.

Do you know what is linux administration? Let me google that for you

Perfect operating systems for linux administrations are - Red Hat EL(paid), CentOS (basically free version of Red hat EL)

BTW @abhigeek linux sysadmins spend most of thier time in command line environment why you need multitouch support?

Last edited:

clmlbx

Technomancer

Sublime text - not just alternative, far superior that N++. Available on all three platforms.

use Brackets much better then sublime. have used both.

well anyway. I want to learn linux how to operate and administer simple day to day tasks.. From which Distro I should start..

Well I have decided to start with Cent os.. Is that right choice?

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW

well anyway. I want to learn linux how to operate and administer simple day to day tasks.. From which Distro I should start..

try Kali Linux :D
youll have the most advanced Linux tools at your fingertips

ankush28

Bazinga

For simple day to day task any popular distro is enough. Like Ubuntu, linux mint, Fedora... I thought you wanted to learn administation for "enterprise" work. CentOS will work too however. It's super stable and easy to learn.

I am using Ubuntu(14 LTS ) on a system with these specs
Intel dual core 3GHz
2GB RAM
Intel 945 onboard gfx

Often it runs too slow...

Please suggest a flavour that will run smooth and is also secure

Is chromebook OS a good choice ? (I've never installed it)

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Intel dual core 3GHz
2GB RAM
Intel 945 onboard gfx

Ubuntu KDE/LXDE or Linux Mint (Mate)

Or you can just switch the desktop environment to above mentioned ones without doing a complete install.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Intel dual core 3GHz
2GB RAM
Intel 945 onboard gfx

Im guessing its a pentium D 1st gen or a pentium 4 531 HT
Well I have a similar config in my old pc with a pentium 4 531 3ghz HT , Windows 7 runs extremely smooth on mine ,even smoother than xp and Ubuntu
Elementary OS is also extremely smooth if you want Linux

Top Bottom