All "which distro should I choose?" queries here.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I have ryzen 5 3500U APU on my laptop, I need a distro which has proper drivers, for the chipset, I tried elementary OS which lagged and didnt function smooth I moved to majaro, did function OK, but couldnt handle more than 2 apps, and the CPU temps were high always. Even when CPU usage was 10%, Fans were blowing loud, Here windows is more stable, as it can easily handle 3-4 apps, without that issue. Also linux consumed more battery power, giving me only 1 hour SOT compared to 4.5Hours on windows.

From what it seems it is an driver issue, So anyone knows any good distro which will be able to run properly, and not just eat resources?

Specs:-
Ryzen 3500U
8GB ram
1TB HDD

Thanks in Advance

Desmond David

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Weird. What other distros have you tried other than Elementary? Also, have you checked to see whether hardware accerleration was actually enabled? You can check this by seeing which driver is installed. If the `mesa` package is installed, it includes the `amdgpu` driver that should work.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Weird. What other distros have you tried other than Elementary? Also, have you checked to see whether hardware accerleration was actually enabled? You can check this by seeing which driver is installed. If the `mesa` package is installed, it includes the `amdgpu` driver that should work.
I do belive the cpu underclocking is slightly worse in Linux distros compared to Windows. Don't have any hard data but my earlier laptops battery used to drain slightly quicker on *Nix

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I tried Manjaro, Even Ubuntu. But these were not able to do my work.

It does have that amdgpu thing, but it is consuming too much power. As i said before, the fan keeps blowing at high speed, even when nothing is open. cpu usage is around 10%, and the temps are in the range 55-65. It reaches 70 degrees with youtube.

On windows, the fan is silent, cpu usage around 20-25, and everything works flawlessly with battery life of about 4.5hrs.

sling-shot

I used to have similar issues long back with PCLinuxOS. It was an issue of CPU governer or something. Basically CPU was always running at maximum speed. Setting it to balanced mode worked.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I have ryzen 5 3500U APU on my laptop, I need a distro which has proper drivers, for the chipset, I tried elementary OS which lagged and didnt function smooth I moved to majaro, did function OK, but couldnt handle more than 2 apps, and the CPU temps were high always. Even when CPU usage was 10%, Fans were blowing loud, Here windows is more stable, as it can easily handle 3-4 apps, without that issue. Also linux consumed more battery power, giving me only 1 hour SOT compared to 4.5Hours on windows.

From what it seems it is an driver issue, So anyone knows any good distro which will be able to run properly, and not just eat resources?

Specs:-
Ryzen 3500U
8GB ram
1TB HDD

Thanks in Advance
When I installed Ubuntu first time in my laptop with GT650M, I had to set to it use inbuilt Intel's GPU because it was using GT650M my default and causing more fan noise and high battery usage. Did you check if something similar is happening in your case too?

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
As per this: Ryzen - ArchWiki you may have to set power profile settings. Also, run `htop` and check which process is consuming the most CPU.
I will try it, as if now I am on windows, but will install linux in a day or two.

I used to have similar issues long back with PCLinuxOS. It was an issue of CPU governer or something. Basically CPU was always running at maximum speed. Setting it to balanced mode worked.
I do remember doing it, But still, the CPU usage was till 10% and it was heating like 75-85%.

When I installed Ubuntu first time in my laptop with GT650M, I had to set to it use inbuilt Intel's GPU because it was using GT650M my default and causing more fan noise and high battery usage. Did you check if something similar is happening in your case too?
It is probably not that, Because I dont have a dGPU, my iGPU seems to work fine.