All webhosting and domain related queries here.

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
Re: Looking for good web hosting

There's no such thing as "Unlimited Space". Space is infinite but in the context of computational space it is not possible. I would recommend OutpowerHosting. In fact, I'm going to renew it for the 4th year this week.

manistar

Broken In
Re: Looking for good web hosting

Dont fall in prey for unlimited hosting. No server has unlimited space and processing power. every hosting allow unlimited space for html, php files. but put a limit on multimedia and other files. Also Multi media processing capability of old servers will be very less.

check for server location, features, money back guarantee.

mohityadavx

Youngling
Hosting A site

Hi!

I want to host my site located at this link . Most of TDF members are suggesting me to buy a domain and do free hosting.

Now let me tell u i can't understand what is domain or free hosting etc so whatever u recommend please explain me what is this hosting and domain funda. Please tell me how much i would have 2 pay at one go, what about renewal charges etc, etc. Please tell me best and cheapest alternative.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Re: Hosting A site

Well, domain is the URL that we use, eg. thinkdigit.com, Google.com, yahoo.com etc.

And hosting is the server where we host our website which we can access using these domain.

Now it's up to you, if you want to go for free hosting and free domain or want professional hosting and professional domain.

Free domain would look like www.yourname.co.cc or www.yourname.co.nr

So if you want yourname.co.in or yourname.com, www.yourname.in then you have to buy domains.

.co.in and .in are nowadays Rs. 99/- per year

Hosting also, free hosting are not reliable, but if you want something cheap, look at hostso, hostdime, bigrock etc.

I'm hosting 5 domains with hostso and they are good, customer support is what I really appriciate. Hostdime is also good.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!

Even when starting a website a free domain name is not recommended. A fully owned domain name is a must. You may however redirect it to any existing blog (maybe on blogger or wordpress or google sites) which doesn't matter.

Domain names can be purchased from various sites but I personally recommend name.com to everyone. .in and co.in domains are not available on it however.
For all those who are suggesting .in domains @ Rs. 99, please note that from second year onwards they will charge you too much, although you will always have an option to take it to another service provider.

To make things easy to understand let me take you through some scenarios:

Scenario1:

Purchase domain name from name.com e.g. www.mohityadavx.com for $10
You will get google apps account with it, you will be able to use URL forwarding with it and email forwarding too.
You can use these google apps account to create email IDs like info@mohityadavx.com etc and forward them to existing email IDs like mohityadavx@gmail.com
Similarly you can forward all requests coming to www.mohityadavx.com to cbse and with masked forwarding users will always see www.mohityadavx.com in address bar.

Scenario2:

Purchase a domain name and hosting account from 3ix.org
www.mohityadavx.com can be obtained at $11/year and a hosting account @$12/year. You will have full control on the account. You will have 40GB webspace and 100GB monthly bandwidth (more than enough for a startup if you ask me). You can create upto 20 sub-domains like forum.mohityadavx.com etc and 50 email IDs (more info here www.3ix.org - Web Hosting from One Dollar a month, reliable 1 dollar web hosting). With such hosting server you can use many good softwares like wordpress, Joomla, Drupal, phpBB, Gallery2 etc to host your site which are easily manageable

Now you can compare various hosts and offers they have. For you, as you already have a google site, I think you can give a trial by purchasing a domain name and redirecting it to this google site. See how does it go. If you get more hits, move it to some good host.

BTW I like this:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/1407879-post16.html

mohityadavx

Youngling

^^ Thanx Krishna , Conqueror and gagan.

Gagan are there any other charges except from 11$ a year for hosting and 12 $ a year for domain.

Actually i will be moving entire site to new dommain as googlse sites doesn't let me make too many of changes i want to make like it won't allow javascript code etc.

imwhatim

Right off the assembly line

Try to register domain from Bigrock if you are in India. Because it also has an option for offline payment. :)

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!

name.com is also charging just Rs.180 for .in domain. I think it would be much better option.

For hosting you have 3ix $1/mo plan :)

Garbage

God of Mistakes...

If you don't mind going into more technical details, you might want to try AWS Free Usage Tier

To help new AWS customers get started in the cloud, AWS is introducing a free usage tier. New AWS customers will be able to run a free Amazon EC2 Micro Instance for a year, while also leveraging a free usage tier for Amazon S3, Amazon Elastic Block Store, Amazon Elastic Load Balancing, and AWS data transfer. AWS’s free usage tier can be used for anything you want to run in the cloud: launch new applications, test existing applications in the cloud, or simply gain hands-on experience with AWS.

Below are the highlights of AWS’s free usage tiers. All are available for one year (except Amazon SimpleDB, SQS, and SNS which are free indefinitely):

AWS Free Usage Tier (Per Month):

* 750 hours of Amazon EC2 Linux Micro Instance usage (613 MB of memory and 32-bit and 64-bit platform support) – enough hours to run continuously each month*

* 750 hours of an Elastic Load Balancer plus 15 GB data processing*

* 10 GB of Amazon Elastic Block Storage, plus 1 million I/Os, 1 GB of snapshot storage, 10,000 snapshot Get Requests and 1,000 snapshot Put Requests*

* 5 GB of Amazon S3 standard storage, 20,000 Get Requests, and 2,000 Put Requests*

* 30 GB per of internet data transfer (15 GB of data transfer “in” and 15 GB of data transfer “out” across all services except Amazon CloudFront)*

* 25 Amazon SimpleDB Machine Hours and 1 GB of Storage**

* 100,000 Requests of Amazon Simple Queue Service**

* 100,000 Requests, 100,000 HTTP notifications and 1,000 email notifications for Amazon Simple Notification Service**

* 10 Amazon Cloudwatch metrics, 10 alarms, and 1,000,000 API requests**

In addition to these services, the AWS Management Console is available at no charge to help you build and manage your application on AWS.

boddunan

Broken In
Re: Looking for a WebHost

As far as I know hostgator is the leader and they recently started their servers hosted in India, so your access times will be much faster if your target audience is India. If your target audience is outside India, opt for the US servers.

www.hostgator.com
www.hostgator.in

I have got a 25% off coupon for all of their plans which you can use in case you are signing up COREJOOMLA25OFF . All the best.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!

for those who are starting it (hosting) 3ix.org provides cheapest options. Do check out.

Later on Arvixe.com :)

mrintech

Technomancer

Hey

I am using HostGator from past 2 years and highly recommend them. They've powerful servers and the downtime is almost negligible

The good thing is that, Hostgator recently came to India: Web Hosting Services, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers by HostGator - Contact Support so that they can send you details about payment in Indian Rupees, as it's currently available only via request

Though, HostGator India is charging Taxes, so if you gotta credit card, then go with Web Hosting Services, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers by HostGator

Hope this helps :)

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!

but mrintech their hosting plans are a little expensive. atleast for those who are starting their websites or for personal use where you wouldn't like to have adverts.

Top Bottom