All questions about Gnome Theming Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
2) Arey yaar, you don't get the point. A theme without apps/mime will almost not haf anything. In that case, how difficult it is to replace each icon manually??

Thing is, the built in gnome/hi color themes are exhaustive too. Just that they lack icons other than the default apps. So you can use them. You must've seen a lot of themes falling back to the default ones in case it misses any icons. The theme config files contains the entry where the default fallback theme is indicated for that particular theme.

So believe me, its not an easy job creating the software which will haf fields with filenames wherein you just hafta select the icon image. Also icons come in different sizes 8x8, 16x16.. etc. So you need different sized pics. Simply resizing them distorts the icon (unless they are in vector format).

But then again, nothing is impossible. Go ahead and create your own Icon-Maker package :)

^^for a guy still learning Basic C++ and who has no knowledge of C and who is struggling to find alternatives for Borland Commands in GCC + NCurses, do you think I can make an Icon Maker Package?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Yeah all you need are available functions. Anyone with a decent problem solving skill can do it, you don't have to be ultra proficient to create stuff, you may need that kind of skill only when you need to optimize and create efficient stuff.

Just follow this simple tutorial link:
*www.gtk.org/tutorial/

QwertyManiac said:
Yeah all you need are available functions. Anyone with a decent problem solving skill can do it, you don't have to be ultra proficient to create stuff, you may need that kind of skill only when you need to optimize and create efficient stuff.

Just follow this simple tutorial link:
*www.gtk.org/tutorial/
I forgot C, I only know C++, so please give me another link:|

Gnome Menu Customisation

I have a few questions regarding the Gnome Menu:

1. I use Ubuntu, and I want to replace that Ubuntu Logo in the menu with another image. How can I do That?

2. I want to merge the menus and make a single MetalMenu(tm). I also want to customise that single menu, sothat it expands to have along with applications, places & system, some custom launchers and quick launch, along with a dictionary box and a search box and some other goodies from the "Add to Pannel" window. How can I do that?

3. I was impressed with Mint Daryna's menu...

ray|raven

Think Zen.
1.Look in the folder
/usr/share/icons/scalable/places/ or ~/.icons/scalable/places/
You should see a file called distributor-logo.svg.
changing it will change the menu icon.

2.If you just want to merge the menus,
there's a merged menu in gnome , add it just like you add any item to the panel.
However,if you want those extra features,
try this: *wiki.ubuntu.com/Slab

3.If you like mint's menu, you could get it for ubuntu,as they share the same base.

Regards,
ray

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
rayraven said:
1.Look in the folder
/usr/share/icons/scalable/places/ or ~/.icons/scalable/places/
You should see a file called distributor-logo.svg.
changing it will change the menu icon.

Regards,
ray
Thanks for this but the icon to change is start-here.png. The distributor-logo.svg is a link to the same.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
@Hitboxx,
Thanks for that.
But,changing the distributor-logo.svg will also work as the menu refers to it,I guess.Correct me if am wrong.
Also,I believe it changes with the theme.

Regards,
ray

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
MetalheadGautham said:
^^I still don't understand why anirudh forgot to put the apple logo in mac4lin.
I did not forget to include the Apple Logo. Mac4Lin upto version 0.3 use the Apple logo. However, it has been purposely removed in version 0.4 as it may cause some legal issues to crop up for using Apple logo. The screenshots and documentation of version 0.4 clearly mentions this.

MetalheadGautham said:
I had to waste
TWO PRECIOUS MINUTES ON ADDING THE LOGO
If you call these things as waste then you will never learn anything!!! Don't be an impatient kid. Haf some patience and learn to look around. You'll get everything :)

@anirudh: are yaar I was sarcastic. and yes, there are possible legal issues assosiated with this, but won't the same happen even with the apple wallpapers and some icons that you borrowed from macintosh? Anyway, I don't think you need to worry about that stuff because you are an Indian, and India still doesn't have unfair laws like US. And I heard there is an Indian site similar to sourceforge. You might concider publishing there. Those cease and desist notices from US can't affect Indians till the Nuclear Deal is confirmed.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Wth?! where are you guys taking the topic? Gnome and Nuclear are waaaaaaaay apart :D

About theming.... wait I need to get that thing..brb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom