All questions about Gnome Theming Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the thread where you can ask all questions you want about adding themes in gnome, creating and editing or exporting themes, changing the way gnome looks and adding/removing desktop icons, etc.

First some basic must visit links:

1. Examples

This is a thread for people to show off their custom linux desktops. There are several good gnome desktops here, and you can get an idea as a newbie as for what to expect here.

2. Mac4Lin

This is infra_red_dude's project for bringing the Macintosh's look and feel to gnome. If you want a no-fuss Leopard look alike in Gnome, go here and bug infra all you want with questions and suggestions, but no questions on that topic here.(Mine is too low class compared to his :lol: )

3. G-Tweak UI

This is a software kit that can be used to do simple tasks with the appearence of Gnome. To install, type
Code:
sudo apt-get install gtweakui
or visit the link in the title if you are not able to install it via the code given above.
All its functions are easily understood by just looking at its window, as it just consists of a bunch of self explanatory check boxes and buttons. This is a must install for all of you. Its there in System>Preferences then there are 4 programs for gtweakui.

4. Gnome-Look.org

Thats the website where most of the themes and decorations are housed. Just visit it if you need some eye-candy for your gnome and ask here if you have any troubles.

5. Ubuntu Customisation Guide

Thats a brilliant guide by dark star in our own forums for making your ubuntu look to kill. It makes ubuntu the Handsome Duckling of the OSes.

Happy Theming :)

Last edited:
lemme start:

Where can I get a theme that has every possible icon/pic in it, so that I can use it as a base to create my own theme? If I get such a theme, I plan to replace each file with my own, so that I can create a custom theme. __________________

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Where can I get a theme that has every possible icon/pic in it

Impossible. Theres no way theres any icon theme that has all possible icons and pics in it. However you can get most of the icons one would use with big icon sets . One example would be Black and White. The download size is 39.5 MB though. So the more the icons. The more the size :)

exx_2000 said:
Impossible. Theres no way theres any icon theme that has all possible icons and pics in it. However you can get most of the icons one would use with big icon sets . One example would be Black and White. The download size is 39.5 MB though. So the more the icons. The more the size :)
I meant excluding the application, the mime-type icons if thats what you mean.

I thought Mac4Lin looks like a good starting point.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
I found some nice icons today at Gnome-look to use in dock. (~2.5mb)

*i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb178/ferrous_cranus/aaScreenshot-3.png

*www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/LinPhone+Icons?content=69347

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
How about adding a guide which helps theming :p Ubuntu Customization Guide v2..

Nice thread /;) I like Crashbit Icons a lot ;)

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
@Hitboxx-AWESOME desky there. @Gautham-My GDesklets refuses to install additional themes. It always says that the file is not of the right type. What do I do?

phreak0ut said:
@Hitboxx-AWESOME desky there. @Gautham-My GDesklets refuses to install additional themes. It always says that the file is not of the right type. What do I do?
can you please tell me exactly what happens?
If you try to install stuff that aren't meant for gDesklets, like gnome themes, etc you will get that error. The same thing happens in all applications. The best way to install stuff for gDesklets is through its "Manage Desklets" utitity, where all the available desklets are listed and organised like in Synaptic Package manager or Add/Remove Programs.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
@Gautham-My GDesklets refuses to install additional themes. It always says that the file is not of the right type. What do I do?
You sure that you aren't using a screenlet theme right?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
MetalheadGautham said:
I meant excluding the application, the mime-type icons if thats what you mean.

I thought Mac4Lin looks like a good starting point.
Mac4Lin Icon theme is a good one to start with. It is an extensive icon set.

Also, I can sugges you Oxygen-refit theme. Find it as gnome-look.org. Even that has quite a number of icons.

Ok, I tried to use M4L as a base, but the number of icons is just too much. I need to replace several hundreds, and before that I have to copy paste the names of the originals in the alternatives. How did you manage to do this much work Anirudh?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ Thats what I said. Mac4Lin Icon theme is extensive and exhaustive! How did I manage to do that?? Well, no shortcuts to hard work :)

infra_red_dude said:
^^^ Thats what I said. Mac4Lin Icon theme is extensive and exhaustive! How did I manage to do that?? Well, no shortcuts to hard work :)
I know I know... I did learn a lot from those links, BTW. But the problem is that there is no app to do the following:

1. Automatically export your theme setting as a .deb package(like ubuntu studio theme)

2. Help make a theme by allowing you to drag and drop pics you intend to use as icons into a window that has slots for each and every type of icon.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
MetalheadGautham said:
1. Automatically export your theme setting as a .deb package(like ubuntu studio theme)

2. Help make a theme by allowing you to drag and drop pics you intend to use as icons into a window that has slots for each and every type of icon.
1) Why do you wanna export your "theme settings" into a .deb package? I mean whaddya wanna exactly do with the poor theme?? ;) All it needs to be done is placed in either /usr/share/icons or ~/.icons folder.

2) Thats too much to ask for man! Thats not possible, coz a complete theme has tens, hundreds and probably thousand icons. So thats just too much. Mac4Lin has 1800-odd icons!

One advise, find the theme that has the most number of icons you wanna use in your new theme (ensure they are gpl'd!!!), then start replacing. I didn't come up with Mac4Lin overnight! So believe me, its gonna take considerable time of yours.

But now that Mac4Lin is out, updating/adding/editing icons is not a big task. Once the base is built, you can live in peace :)

infra_red_dude said:
1) Why do you wanna export your "theme settings" into a .deb package? I mean whaddya wanna exactly do with the poor theme?? ;) All it needs to be done is placed in either /usr/share/icons or ~/.icons folder.

2) Thats too much to ask for man! Thats not possible, coz a complete theme has tens, hundreds and probably thousand icons (Mac4Lin has about 1800-odd icons!). So thats just too much.

One advise, find the theme that has the most number of icons you wanna use in your new theme (ensure they are gpl'd!!!), then start replacing. I didn't come up with Mac4Lin overnight! So believe me, its gonna take considerable time of yours.

But now that Mac4Lin is out, updating/adding/editing icons is not a big task. Once the base is built, you can live in peace :)
1. its for the same reason you wanna make debs outta m4l
2. ecept for app and mime icons, none of them will create trouble

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
MetalheadGautham said:
1. its for the same reason you wanna make debs outta m4l
If its only icon theme that you wanna use then a .deb is not necessary. Coz the procedure of installing an icon theme in GNOME is actually just to goto the icon selection theme and press the install button and select the theme!

You can just code a script which extracts the icon theme to the specified folder. But the user still has to goto the Appearances tab to select it to apply. If you wanna automate that too, then you can use the gconf command to apply it. So a script is all this is needed. Plus its not distro depenedent :)

MetalheadGautham said:
2. ecept for app and mime icons, none of them will create trouble
Unfortunately, out of 1800-odd icons in Mac4Lin both of them amount to about half of it!! ;)

So apps/mime/actions are the ones that make up most of the theme files!

infra_red_dude said:
If its only icon theme that you wanna use then a .deb is not necessary. Coz the procedure of installing an icon theme in GNOME is actually just to goto the icon selection theme and press the install button and select the theme!

You can just code a script which extracts the icon theme to the specified folder. But the user still has to goto the Appearances tab to select it to apply. If you wanna automate that too, then you can use the gconf command to apply it. So a script is all this is needed. Plus its not distro depenedent :)

Unfortunately, out of 1800-odd icons in Mac4Lin both of them amount to about half of it!! ;)

So apps/mime/actions are the ones that make up most of the theme files!
1. Good idea. I will script the installation, like ubuntu studio or something.

2. Thats what I am saying. A theme without mime types and apps. Such a skleton will be easier and more logical. So I am talking about a program that allows us to place other stuff, ecept the apps and mime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom