All laptop related queries here!!!

terrafield

Broken In
no you didn't get what i'm saying chipset model may be same but the asus laptop motherboard made by asus itself and samsung has samsung motherboard (not sure) that may make a difference in terms of performance. In my opinion go to sony centre and take the demo of sony vaio.

I went to sony center and took demo of Vaio E14a (i7, 4GB RAM, 500 GB HDD) but it took a long time to open acrobat reader but thats not the case even in my desktop PC. I thought of going for E14A and later replace HDD with SSD but I heard thats its too complicated and I don't want to mess it up

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman
Hi Guys!!

Can anyone tell me the best laptop for a budget upto 65k.

Requirements:
1. 15" screen size or more.
2. Atleast 1600x900 resolution display.

Usage:
1. Gaming.
2. Watching HD movies.
3. Work.

Any help is highly appreciated.
Thank you

arayman

Broken In
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)

Rs. 50,000 to 60,000/-

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

Size / weight Does not matter

Any of the following but should give good configuration

Thin and Light; 12" - 14" screen
Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: HP, Sony or Dell (Bit skeptical about Dell's durability & after sales services)
b. Dislike: acer, asus, toshiba, lenovo

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Have been using IBM Thinkcentre Desktop since past couple of years, I have faced no issue, therefore you can consider it as a desktop replacement. The notebook should give smooth performance while using the following programs simultaneously, as I am into designing and constantly online with overseas clients (sometimes video conf.) thus need a reliable brand which can handle multi jobs.

Programs which remain open on my desktop are:-

Photoshop CS, CorelDraw 12, Scanning, Skype (video conferencing), Internet browser with 3-4 tabs (one tab may be used for youtube occasionally) and printing task. Thus you can relate to my usage, its required for multitasking without freezing/crashing or compromise in efficiency. I am not into gaming at all. 500 GB HDD (little lesser SSD, if suitable) would be sufficient for me. I may not replace this notebook for atleast 3-4 years thus I am interested in latest Ultrabook with Ivy bridge 3rd gen i5 to i7 processor with higher RAM figures. Besides, ultrabook I am also open to other options as long as they serve the purpose and justify your suggestions.

5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?
No preference.

6) Anything else you would like to say? (eg: local purchase, ASS,matte/glossy finish)
I would be comfortable with local purchase as I have never purchase any product online till date.

Thanking you all in advance.

aroraanant

Explorer
You can opt for Dell Inspiron 14R or 15R Special Edition with Full HD Display, it will cost you around 55k.Check Dell India website for more details.
And if you want something portable then the best option is Sony VAIO S Series SVS13112EN and can also look out for Sony VAIO E Series SVE14A16FN

rider

as Kratos
I went to sony center and took demo of Vaio E14a (i7, 4GB RAM, 500 GB HDD) but it took a long time to open acrobat reader but thats not the case even in my desktop PC. I thought of going for E14A and later replace HDD with SSD but I heard thats its too complicated and I don't want to mess it up
Opening of acobat reader also depend upon operating system, in linux it doesn't take even a second to open file. And putting SSDs are not that much difficult, hire a professional for this.

@arayman
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)

Rs. 50,000 to 60,000/-

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

Size / weight Does not matter

Any of the following but should give good configuration

Thin and Light; 12" - 14" screen
Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: HP, Sony or Dell (Bit skeptical about Dell's durability & after sales services)
b. Dislike: acer, asus, toshiba, lenovo

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Have been using IBM Thinkcentre Desktop since past couple of years, I have faced no issue, therefore you can consider it as a desktop replacement. The notebook should give smooth performance while using the following programs simultaneously, as I am into designing and constantly online with overseas clients (sometimes video conf.) thus need a reliable brand which can handle multi jobs.

Programs which remain open on my desktop are:-

Photoshop CS, CorelDraw 12, Scanning, Skype (video conferencing), Internet browser with 3-4 tabs (one tab may be used for youtube occasionally) and printing task. Thus you can relate to my usage, its required for multitasking without freezing/crashing or compromise in efficiency. I am not into gaming at all. 500 GB HDD (little lesser SSD, if suitable) would be sufficient for me. I may not replace this notebook for atleast 3-4 years thus I am interested in latest Ultrabook with Ivy bridge 3rd gen i5 to i7 processor with higher RAM figures. Besides, ultrabook I am also open to other options as long as they serve the purpose and justify your suggestions.

5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?
No preference.

6) Anything else you would like to say? (eg: local purchase, ASS,matte/glossy finish)
I would be comfortable with local purchase as I have never purchase any product online till date.

Thanking you all in advance.
As per you requirements I think you need a classy laptop with durability and editing performance the best for this need are probooks and thinkpads. Right now no new thinkpad has been launched with new specs but for the latest specs hp has launched new probook 4540s series with 3rd gen ivy bridge intel processors, get the core-i7 and HD 7650M model as your budget is upto 60,000. It's build quality, battery life is incredible, kindly ignore any dell laptop if you are looking to use 3-4 years, dell generally works till its warranty.

*www8.hp.com/in/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=5229455

Sorry, I cant find this model online, better to go hp showroom and take demo of hp probook 4540s

arayman

Broken In
Opening of acobat reader also depend upon operating system, in linux it doesn't take even a second to open file. And putting SSDs are not that much difficult, hire a professional for this.

@arayman
As per you requirements I think you need a classy laptop with durability and editing performance the best for this need are probooks and thinkpads. Right now no new thinkpad has been launched with new specs but for the latest specs hp has launched new probook 4540s series with 3rd gen ivy bridge intel processors, get the core-i7 and HD 7650M model as your budget is upto 60,000. It's build quality, battery life is incredible, kindly ignore any dell laptop if you are looking to use 3-4 years, dell generally works till its warranty.

HP ProBook 4540s Notebook PC | HP® India

Sorry, I cant find this model online, better to go hp showroom and take demo of hp probook 4540s

Rider, Thanks a lot for your valued inputs. After going through the specs of Hp probook it certainly appear a power packed machine, which can take over the desktop tasks comfortable. Do you think Ultrabook (HP Envy 4 or 6 series) would be a better investment as per the changing trends of thinner notebooks, but I wonder if it can substitute desktop, bit confused. I cannot make out what would I compromise besides DVD writer in ultrabook. If you suggest ultrabook which configs would be okay for me ? (I am focusing on 3rd gen i5 processor as its the only one available in market). If you still suggest probook is a better option for me, then any idea exactly in what price range would 4540s fall with 3rd gen core i 7 (the one you suggested) ? (btw, my coreldraw and photoshop files are not more than 50 MB). Would appreciate your feedback in helping me move in the right direction. :)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Rider, Thanks a lot for your valued inputs. After going through the specs of Hp probook it certainly appear a power packed machine, which can take over the desktop tasks comfortable. Do you think Ultrabook (HP Envy 4 or 6 series) would be a better investment as per the changing trends of thinner notebooks, but I wonder if it can substitute desktop, bit confused. I cannot make out what would I compromise besides DVD writer in ultrabook. If you suggest ultrabook which configs would be okay for me ? (I am focusing on 3rd gen i5 processor as its the only one available in market). If you still suggest probook is a better option for me, then any idea exactly in what price range would 4540s fall with 3rd gen core i 7 (the one you suggested) ? (btw, my coreldraw and photoshop files are not more than 50 MB). Would appreciate your feedback in helping me move in the right direction. :)

Yes, it should be fine for you. :) btw Envy series a bit overpriced IMO. Probook is fine.

vikrraal

Broken In
thank u "rider" ....
i have bought the samsung NP550 :razz:
now please suggest me a good cooling pad for long time gaming which is suitable for my samsung...
range is 1.5k
plz reply soon :|

rider

as Kratos

utrabook is meant to perform everyday use of laptop, you know general use/office work. It is not recommended for high performance usage, you will not get that much performance as a regular core-i5 laptop, as per your requirement buy a proper laptop for editing stuff and dvd writer. As what I said earlier visit hp showroom and concern about new hp probook 4540s, I think it would be around 45-50k of price range.
And what do you mean by 50MB files, you mean saved documents?

arayman

Broken In
utrabook is meant to perform everyday use of laptop, you know general use/office work. It is not recommended for high performance usage, you will not get that much performance as a regular core-i5 laptop, as per your requirement buy a proper laptop for editing stuff and dvd writer. As what I said earlier visit hp showroom and concern about new hp probook 4540s, I think it would be around 45-50k of price range.
And what do you mean by 50MB files, you mean saved documents?

Hi Rider, 50 MB are the size of files of .cdr (corel draw) and psd (photoshop) files on which I work in those programs. I meant to convey that they are not very heavy files of designing or editing.

Moreover, today I went to a hp showroom, they don't keep probook on display, as the demand is lesser. But they gave the quotation of 4540s around 59000/- (its in 3rd gen i 5 NOT i 7).

Later in the day I had a word with my associate in Hong Kong. It seems the probook pricing is a bit lesser than in India and they have good variety. He sent me the weblink for me to choose. Whichever I finalize he can buy for me there. But I am not very comfortable buying lappy, mobiles etc from other countries as I had one bad experience post buying with A.S.S. Sometimes the warranties are not internationally covered.

Anyways, for your reference I am posting the link:- HP Hong Kong Online Store

I liked
a) HP 4441s i5 3210M 8GB ram, (HKD 7480 = Rs. 53630)
b) 4540s i5 with AMD radeon 7650M 2gb (HKD 7480 = Rs. 53630) and same model with Intel HD 4000 (HKD 6480 = Rs. 46460).
c) The 4740s Elitebook seems the best buy, its with AMD radeon 7650M(2gb) + 17.2" display (1600 x 900 Do you think it may give results like HD display ?) (HKD 7980 = Rs. 57216).

I doubt if all these models are available in India with somewhat similar pricing. I will check for other models from HP if available in India otherwise would focus on the model you had suggested earlier 4540s, which they have.

- Please advice that will 3gen i 5 solve my purpose (IMO i7 is not available in this model) ?
- Do you think the price is justified, Rs. 59000/-, for i5 4540s otherwise I would double check from other stores.
- Secondly can you suggest any option in the similar configs available in Sony Viao with full HD display ?

Thanking you in advance.
(btw, liked your new avatar)

rider

as Kratos
thank u "rider" ....
i have bought the samsung NP550 :razz:
now please suggest me a good cooling pad for long time gaming which is suitable for my samsung...
range is 1.5k
plz reply soon :|
Congrats! for your new laptop..!! :)
Get Cooler Master Notepal Infinite Evo to get decent cooling performance all rest cheaper models of cooler master brings -3-4*C difference.

Hi Rider, 50 MB are the size of files of .cdr (corel draw) and psd (photoshop) files on which I work in those programs. I meant to convey that they are not very heavy files of designing or editing.

Moreover, today I went to a hp showroom, they don't keep probook on display, as the demand is lesser. But they gave the quotation of 4540s around 59000/- (its in 3rd gen i 5 NOT i 7).

Later in the day I had a word with my associate in Hong Kong. It seems the probook pricing is a bit lesser than in India and they have good variety. He sent me the weblink for me to choose. Whichever I finalize he can buy for me there. But I am not very comfortable buying lappy, mobiles etc from other countries as I had one bad experience post buying with A.S.S. Sometimes the warranties are not internationally covered.

Anyways, for your reference I am posting the link:- HP Hong Kong Online Store

I liked
a) HP 4441s i5 3210M 8GB ram, (HKD 7480 = Rs. 53630)
b) 4540s i5 with AMD radeon 7650M 2gb (HKD 7480 = Rs. 53630) and same model with Intel HD 4000 (HKD 6480 = Rs. 46460).
c) The 4740s Elitebook seems the best buy, its with AMD radeon 7650M(2gb) + 17.2" display (1600 x 900 Do you think it may give results like HD display ?) (HKD 7980 = Rs. 57216).

I doubt if all these models are available in India with somewhat similar pricing. I will check for other models from HP if available in India otherwise would focus on the model you had suggested earlier 4540s, which they have.

- Please advice that will 3gen i 5 solve my purpose (IMO i7 is not available in this model) ?
- Do you think the price is justified, Rs. 59000/-, for i5 4540s otherwise I would double check from other stores.
- Secondly can you suggest any option in the similar configs available in Sony Viao with full HD display ?

Thanking you in advance.
(btw, liked your new avatar)

59k for new core-i5 model!! :shock: The previous model hp probook 4530s is of only 46k. I would like to say better to avoid imported laptop if you can not get warranty transferred to india. Consult this to hp hongkong department. Yes, the core-i7 version comes in 4540s as it is mentioned in hp india website, I had given link above to you. As per your requirement and budget I would say HP Pavilion 7011TX is also a nice deal if you can get it for around 52k, but I dont think it would be as durable as probook or thinkpad, but will be fine for four years. If you purchasing from hongkong also try to know about thinkpads with new 3rd gen core-i5, sony vaio with full HD display is out of your budget, it comes of around 68.5k. Thanks for the compliment for my avatar. Good night!

terrafield

Broken In

@arayman

HP ProBook 4540s Notebook PC | HP® India

I finally bought Macbook Air 13inch after thinking a lot

Its really good. It is taking some time to get used to Mac OS but as of now I'm pretty comfortable in basic navigations and they are super cool and it fulfills my basic requirements (taking less than a second to open application or file - pretty fast)

Thanks for your inputs/suggestions

rider

as Kratos
I finally bought Macbook Air 13inch after thinking a lot

Its really good. It is taking some time to get used to Mac OS but as of now I'm pretty comfortable in basic navigations and they are super cool and it fulfills my basic requirements (taking less than a second to open application or file - pretty fast)

Thanks for your inputs/suggestions
wow! congrats dude! for macbook air 13 :) How much it cost to you and are you using the new mountain lion OS X ??

Sarvesh Singh

Broken In
Hello,

Due to limitation of my budget( 15K) , i m planning to buy a decent netbook.
I have choosed ASUS Eee PC 1015cx Asus 1015CX-BLK011W Laptop 2nd Gen Atom Dual Core/1GB/320GB/Linux: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Asus Netbook

Any one having this device.
Please suggest, is it a good buy?

I have some questions regarding the performance or configuration:
1. Does this having Bluetooth, some ppls are complaining about it.
2. is there no optical drive?
3. can i upgrade RAM?
4. Best OS to install on it with the drivers available?
5. How the performance of ATM 2nd gen dual core processor.
6. Can i play some games on it (i think its a very wrong que to ask)
7. howz much the heating generated from thing ?

guys suggestions are advisable.
Thanks

writealexthomas

Truth prevails
Hi! I want to buy a laptop in the range of 30,000/- to 35,000/-. Should I opt for i3 with more bells and whistles or an entry level i5 laptop would suffice? My requirements are: MS Office, programming in vb and c+, Photoshop, casual gaming, surfing, music (I have a real big collection), videos.

Help me out guys...

terrafield

Broken In
wow! congrats dude! for macbook air 13 :) How much it cost to you and are you using the new mountain lion OS X ??

Thanks Rider. Actual cost is 99k (I went for 256Gb) but I got student discount of 10k (one of my friend is a student). So total cost - 89k. Also I got 9 months EMI offer with 0% interest rate and 0% processing fee. So a good deal for me

I am not running mountain lion as of now as I heard that battery life is not good. I want to wait till they fix this issue

People who don't game like me and who needs blazing fast and beautiful experience, can go for macbook air. Light weight, fast, nice OS/Interface, TOUCHPAD GESTURES is really seducing me. Particularly touchpad gestures, Sometimes I am thinking whether I'm really using a computer or a tablet. Best of both worlds

rider

as Kratos
Yea! the touchpad gestures are cool, but now sony has also copied this from apple in their vaio laptops.

vkl

Cyborg Agent
@writealexthomas

Look out for HP G6 2005AX.It has amd a8-4500m which is inline with intel i3 2310m when it comes to processing speed.
It has hd7670m as graphics which is good for gaming and other works.
AMD apu and hd7670m use OpenCL acceleration in applications like adobe photoshop 6 which would be much faster than i5 3rd gen with hd4000.

For i5 based systems look out for Lenovo G580 (59-324061) @33k or Samsung NP300E5X-S01IN @36k.
Samsung has more storage(750GB compared to 500GB of g580).G580 has usb3.0 ports while Samsung NP300E5X-S01IN doesn't.

Last edited:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
My friend is planning to buy a new laptop in the range of 20 - 25K.Main purpose is for studying only.
Please suggest me something in this range :)

Get Samsung NP300E4Z-A06IN & add another 4GB of RAM, and you're good to go. BTW do mention your purpose in detail, and budget flexibility.

Top Bottom