All laptop related queries here!!!

SijuS

Broken In
I'm a bit confused here. Is Samsung NP550P5C-S02IN really available at 58k? I mean, core i7, 8gb ram, 1TB HDD and 650M GPU? And also a bluray drive packed in? Is it for real? If yes, then isnt it far better than the Dell Inspiron SE's? Why are ppl buying Inspiron? When was it launched? I couldnt find it at flipkart or ebay.

rider

as Kratos
I'm a bit confused here. Is Samsung NP550P5C-S02IN really available at 58k? I mean, core i7, 8gb ram, 1TB HDD and 650M GPU? And also a bluray drive packed in? Is it for real? If yes, then isnt it far better than the Dell Inspiron SE's? Why are ppl buying Inspiron? When was it launched? I couldnt find it at flipkart or ebay.

Yes, it is real, yes it is better than inspiron SE, people buying inspiron because they are not aware of this model, it might be launched in a week or so and you can buy it from nehru place samsung laptops shop, never buy any big product like this laptop from flipkart with no COD option. COD option is limited to 50k product range.

har

In the zone
The Samsung is a really good deal !! The display has bad brightness distribution and only 1366*768 but it has a good matt finish :-D

I will buy it if its available in Kerala without blu-ray option. But if the lenevo y580 (comes with the GTX660m which is much better than even 650m,its the highest kepler series card) is launched at a similar price, the samsung is toast. The samsung has a full numeric keypad though :razz: but no backlit option :-(

rider

as Kratos
The Samsung is a really good deal !! The display has bad brightness distribution and only 1366*768 but it has a good matt finish :-D

I will buy it if its available in Kerala without blu-ray option. But if the lenevo y580 (comes with the GTX660m which is much better than even 650m,its the highest kepler series card) is launched at a similar price, the samsung is toast. The samsung has a full numeric keypad though :razz: but no backlit option :-(

Read specs it is 1600x900 LINK

Give me link of lenovo model.

har

In the zone
@rider--Samsung screen is 1366*768. Only 17" model has 1600*900. Your link is wrong.

Samsung link:Samsung outs new Series 5 550P notebook in the UK, Ivy Bridge and numeric keypad onboard -- Engadget

Lenevo link:IdeaPad Y580 - Powerful Gaming Laptop PC by Lenovo (US)

rider

as Kratos
@rider--Samsung screen is 1366*768. Only 17" model has 1600*900. Your link is wrong.

Samsung link:Samsung outs new Series 5 550P notebook in the UK, Ivy Bridge and numeric keypad onboard -- Engadget

Lenevo link:IdeaPad Y580 - Powerful Gaming Laptop PC by Lenovo (US)

Dunno, even the shopkeeper is saying it is 1600x900, but samsung panel display would be definitely better than dell.
Don't expect that lenovo model for less than 75k in india, those deals are for US, we in india will not get in that much discount. The actual price of base model is $1,499 that is almost 82k. Many vaio of models of this price range are coming with free PS3 in US but here in india not even free PS2. US market is bigger and has much competition.

n64freak

Broken In
Oh, btw, just to point out one fact, the 650M used on the Samsung one uses DDR3, whereas the 650M on the Inspiron uses GDDR5. As seen online, the second version is considerably faster. The only problem with the Inspiron being, of course, that it's available only for the bigger, 17" version. Looking at this, seems like Samsung has won the gaming laptop under 60k prize :|

rider

as Kratos
Oh, btw, just to point out one fact, the 650M used on the Samsung one uses DDR3, whereas the 650M on the Inspiron uses GDDR5. As seen online, the second version is considerably faster. The only problem with the Inspiron being, of course, that it's available only for the bigger, 17" version. Looking at this, seems like Samsung has won the gaming laptop under 60k prize :|

Don't go much deep, samsung will provide better gaming fps, thanks to its core-i7. Samsung is the deal of the moment better than bulky core-i5 inspiron 17R SE.

Gaming not much depends upon GPU memory type, both are 850Mhz GPU.

har

In the zone
@rider--Maybe lenevo will surpise us !! But I wouldnt buy it because the reported temperatures are extremely high :-x

Samsung definitely the best deal. Better processor makes up for ddr3.

vkl

Cyborg Agent
For the same processor,gddr5 version of gt650m would be noticeably faster than the ddr3 version.

At 768p there wont be that much difference between gddr5 version and ddr3 version.
As the resolution increases from 1600p to higher gaming is more dependent on
GPU than CPU unless the CPU is too weak to bottleneck the GPU.

rider

as Kratos
@rider--Maybe lenevo will surpise us !! But I wouldnt buy it because the reported temperatures are extremely high :-x

Samsung definitely the best deal. Better processor makes up for ddr3.

I don't think lenovo will surprise to launch GTX 660M, under 60k. Last year they fooled customer by providing a lower clock model of GT 555M which outputs like GT 540M. GTX 660M comes in high class gaming laptops like alienware, MSI G-series etc, it is made for a heavy thick laptop.
There is noth much requirement of memory on GPU. 2 GB in a 720p screen is of no use. 1 GB is sufficient for a 720p laptop, it's all marketing gimmick, typical people classify the power by memory.
e.g. My 6770M is DDR5 but is less performer than new GT 640M DDR3.

Gaming is not totally depended on GPU it also depends on processor.. samsung is providing core-i7 which output better gaming performance than inspiron 17R SE.

har

In the zone
New games like Max Payne 3 uses all 4 cores of i7 !! Newer games will definitely run better on i7 rather than i5

rider

as Kratos
core-i7 is must for high gaming, it is future proof too.

core-i series are divided on 3 types:
core-i3 for everyday and general use.
core-i5 for multimedia and medium gaming.
core-i7 for high end multimedia, editing 1080p videos, professional RAW image editing and hardcore gaming.

vkl

Cyborg Agent
I don't think lenovo will surprise to launch GTX 660M, under 60k. Last year they fooled customer by providing a lower clock model of GT 555M which outputs like GT 540M. GTX 660M comes in high class gaming laptops like alienware, MSI G-series etc, it is made for a heavy thick laptop.
There is noth much requirement of memory on GPU. 2 GB in a 720p screen is of no use. 1 GB is sufficient for a 720p laptop, it's all marketing gimmick, typical people classify the power by memory.
e.g. My 6770M is DDR5 but is less performer than new GT 640M DDR3.

Gaming is not totally depended on GPU it also depends on processor.. samsung is providing core-i7 which output better gaming performance than inspiron 17R SE.
At 768p the samsung 550p would be faster but at 900p inspiron 17R would be faster in some games because of the faster gddr5 memory despite its i5 cpu.
No point in comparing gddr5 version and ddr3 version of two different cards.
For a card like gt610m or 520m,gddr5 would be useless as it cant utilise that bandwidth.
Check the link below
GT 650M GDDR5 vs DDR3 and 2GB vs 1GB memory capacity
^^With same processors the gt650m gddr5 version is generally faster than the ddr3 version

Yes i7 is better because of 2 additional physical cores and better maximum clock frequency so that it can churn out more instructions to the GPU faster.But in the games where processor is not bottle-necking,Gpu is more important.
For eg. in most games,the performance of desktop i3 2100 is near about equal to i7 2600k because of high IPC and clocks of both the processors they are not bottle-necking the GPU.

rider

as Kratos
Definitely DDR5 is better, but overall in real life I think core-i7 of samsung would outcome better performer.. despite of ddr3 memory. These comparisons of DDR3 and DDR5 are all with core-i7s no core-i5. :|

vkl

Cyborg Agent
^^well where the cpu speed would be a bottleneck,samsung 550p would be the winner otherwise dell inspiron 17r.

har

In the zone
In any case the sammy is just 58k even with bluray. Without it may cost only arnd 52-53k !! And samsung warranty is much cheaper. Whereas inspiron 17r costs 65k !! Thats a HUGE difference !! The sammy has a matte screen too !! A difference of 10k just for a gddr5 instead of i7 ? Not worth it :wink:

vkl

Cyborg Agent
^^yeh at 58k samsung specs look nice.
It's a better buy for most especially with the 3rd gen i7 processor and a good graphic card(gt 650m ddr3).

rider

as Kratos
In any case the sammy is just 58k even with bluray. Without it may cost only arnd 52-53k !! And samsung warranty is much cheaper. Whereas inspiron 17r costs 65k !! Thats a HUGE difference !! The sammy has a matte screen too !! A difference of 10k just for a gddr5 instead of i7 ? Not worth it :wink:

also 17R is a very bulky almost three and half kg laptop not recommended who carry in bag or college students. My friend once has a 17" laptop and he suffered due to its high weight. The word laptop means a personal computer which can be use on your the upper surface of the thighs called lap, but I don't think 17" can be placed, even apple dumped their 17" macbook pro from market now.
17" laptops comes in desktop replacement, not mainstream like 15.6".

Top Bottom