All About Wordpress - Themes, Plugins, Tips and Tweaks

Do you have a Self-Hosted Wordpress Blog ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Does not having robots.txt in the root make a difference? My robots.txt is at beingmana.com/wp and there is not robots.txt in publicl_html.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Is there any way to get notifications about posts marked as spam by Akismet? Many times Akismet marks normal posts as spam and we can't know about them unless we manually check in ACP.

So is there any method by which we can get notifications for spam posts just like we get for moderated posts?

adi007

Youngling
Does not having robots.txt in the root make a difference? My robots.txt is at beingmana.com/wp and there is not robots.txt in publicl_html.

Nope...
robots.txt with disallow will only make impact...
AFAIK no robots.txt will not impact anything and crawl will crawl all the pages

@Vishal Gupta
From the Akismet Site:
Help! Akismet is catching a regular comment as spam!

Don't worry, if you see a regular comment on your Akismet page, just click the "Not Spam" checkbox and submit and the comment will be sent back to Akismet as a mistake. The system will learn from your submission, though it may take a day or so in some cases. False positives, as they're called, are extremely rare and we watch them closely.
Other than this, you can check the box where it will notify the admin requesting moderation for every comment (regardless of it being spam or not, as this is a WP feature) is posted

But this is wierd, Akismet rarely detects proper comments as spam

Please Revert If this worked

Last edited:

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
@thewisecrab
Thanks for your reply. :)
But I don't want to put moderation for all posted comments and Akismet marks normal posts as spam most of the times. So if anyone knows any hack or code change to make Akismet sending notifications for each spam mail.

slugger

Banned
@iMav
did you ask at the Google Webmasters group?

umm...do you think your site is being penalised by Google for sum Black hat SEO u may have applied? ur problem is only google specific...just a thot

just for the sake of it remove the robots.txt file altogether and se if it makes any difference..u are anyway not excluding any directory from being indexed

You are absolutely right.... :)
;)

AFAIK no robots.txt will not impact anything and crawl will crawl all the pages

oops u already said it :)
shud have seen
my bad

Last edited:

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
What are those? I have no clue of any Black Hat stuff man. I just have multiple plugins.

Manan, here's an excerpt of my comment:

And I also came to know that u are using multiple sitemap-gen plugin. dd-sitemap-gen & google-sitemap gen. I’d recommenced u to use only google sitemap gen. multiple will lead into some conflicts.

Link: *www.beingmanan.com/wp/2008/04/wordpress-plugins-i-like/#comment-70

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
Enzo Glory Wordpress Theme

Enzo Glory

*i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm47/Gigacore/460-7.jpg

Download | Demo

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Guys I am still not able to get my content indexed, as I said before Google Webmasters shows 96 URLs submitted.

However, today I came across this Robots.txt checker and according to that Robots.txt is only meant to Dis-allow. So the Allow: / is not a valid command for it.

Robots.txt should be in the root directory and not in a sub-directory.

You can check your Robots.txt here: *tool.motoricerca.info/robots-checker.phtml

I have made changes accordingly let's see.

@imav
theres not much use of robots.txt until you want some url's not to be indexed
*www.indiandevs.com/technoworld/2008/06/05/top-5-unique-plugins-for-wordpress/
just see the 5th plugin in it ;)
and after uploading that plugin to your wordpress directory
submit its url which should be something like beingmanan.com/blog/wp-sitemap.php to google webmasters tool
all ur post will be submitted to google now :)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Guys I am still not able to get my content indexed, as I said before Google Webmasters shows 96 URLs submitted.

However, today I came across this Robots.txt checker and according to that Robots.txt is only meant to Dis-allow. So the Allow: / is not a valid command for it.

Robots.txt should be in the root directory and not in a sub-directory.

You can check your Robots.txt here: *tool.motoricerca.info/robots-checker.phtml

I have made changes accordingly let's see.
lets hope it alleviate the problem

btw stop using multiple sitemap plugins

I use google sitemap generator

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@Siddarth

Well I have Google XML Sitemap generator doing what it should. So I find no compelling reason to switch to this plugin.

btw stop using multiple sitemap plugins
I have disabled DD for now.

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Google has indexed my Robots.txt file:

*www.google.co.in/search?hl=en&clie...s=PDF&q=site:beingmanan.com&btnG=Search&meta=

:lol: :lol:

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
guys i have a few question

1.) i own a co.cc domain but when ever i submit ti to digg it says this is used for spammin something ... i think it should be due to permalink structure ... like *xxxxxx.co.cc/p=123
can anyone tell me how to change it .. to day something more like *xxxxx.co.cc/how-to-do.html ?

i tried to configure permalink using code given in wordpress to add html .. and also using postname.. but it said i need to update my .htacess file.. how to do it ?

any idea ?

2.) suggest few good Adsense / SEO friendly themes for wordpress and also i want to integrate my adsense search code into the blog.. so suggest me a theme where i can do this ..

more questions to come...

adi007

Youngling
1. Permalinks can be changed via Settings>>Permalinks
I dunno why are getting message that u need to update .htacess file...
May be u have no permissions to edit it(if u use free hosting this might be the reason)

2.Nearly all themes are SEO optimized..
If u want u can test it just see the source of the webpage using the theme and the main that u must see is that the title of the post is in <h1> tag
There are several other things to be tested but this is the main thing

Integrating Adsense is a child's play by using this wordpress plugin

Whydowork Adsense : link : *www.whydowork.com/blog/whydowork-adsense-plugin/

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
1.) in my hosting i even have shell acess... so that wont be a problem..
even in wordpress knowlegede base they have said that i need to update htaccess... i dont know how and why ?

the permalink changes ... but if i click on i t in my blog .. it says there is no such page ...

2.) my current theme is *www.ilemoned.com/wordpress/wptheme-dark
it doesnt support widget... what shall i do .. i need a nice looking , theme seo friendly , highly customisable theme... so can anyone sugggest a few..
more over i need a theme which takes all the width.. not the centre portion alone... i think u got my point...

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
2.) my current theme is *www.ilemoned.com/wordpress/wptheme-dark
it doesnt support widget... what shall i do .. i need a nice looking , theme seo friendly , highly customisable theme... so can anyone sugggest a few..
more over i need a theme which takes all the width.. not the centre portion alone... i think u got my point...

*incoherentbabble.com/2008/02/03/fresh-garland-release/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom