Airtel set to start operations for 3G services, successfully tested .

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
dr_jimit

dr_jimit

Journeyman
This is what i think,
Just Think,

How many of us really use current EDGE at its full speed ?????\

NOT everyone is getting full speed also.

ThINK also about COST of CONTENT U WILL BE DOWNLOADING ??
What r u paying for current stupidly slow GPRS[also advertised with EDGE upto 300kbps]??? May be ten times more for data usage ???

Not 90 % of people having MMS capabled PHONE have ever sent and received an MMS !!

I am not seeing it successfull, cos, even if its started, it wont be available to a large area, no consistent speeds[ as u see on edge currently] , and SKY HIGH COST of usage.
Till then 4G /WiMax may have become a New Standard.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
Thats some good news...atleast somebody has taken the initiatives....i just want to get rid of this gprs first...it gets irritating at times...better Airtel start it soon...
Ok does the current tower base will support or do they have to install a new equipment?
What will be the charges?

Will there be any unlimited plan?

Could this be the end of datacard for lappies?

Thanks for info anyway... I have been waiting for this for more than a year...atlast i will be able to use the final feature of my phone... 3G!

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
m switching to airtel if voda doesnt offer 3g services...but it would have been better if they had completely disposed of the 3g idea dn had leaped straight into HSPDA(3.5g)..thus we would been more in terms with the western progress..3g is surely a dying prospect..now they even have HSUPA(4g) and we still waiting for the government to line up their defense system and auction for spectrums..bsnl having 3g would be a huge dissapointment..a company which doesnt even provide edge services surely doesnt deserve 3g

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
^^^

HSDPA and HSUPA all come under 3.5G only ;) :p

LTE would be 4G which is just popping its head....

3G is surely not a dying tech.. not sooner.. its mainstream now..

_

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
okk..dint kno that..but form when does bsnl desrve to get a 3g spectrum..crap network in all the metros..and neway..3g is about half an year away..opting for 3.5g would have ben a big boost to india's position in the communication sector

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
^^^

its like saying when there is when there is nvidia 9 series cards why bother about 8 series :lol:

actually 4G is not even much in vougue in the western coutries... very recently 3G is becoming mainstream there... and 3.5G is just picking up momentum

even the iphone doesnt have 3G see how well it sells...

then how in India we can goto 4G if we dont have the technology and even if its there it will be at a prohibitively high price ;)

3G is more than enough for browsing speeds comparing the state of broadband in the country..

if simple services like blackberry itself comes under heavy scrutiny imagine how much bureaucracy and regulation is there... (might not be a good comparison but still.. )

_

shashank_re

In the zone
Actually if you read this news article,they just said that they have tested 3G.
In that sense, Tata has tested 3G in 2007 end and they also said that their all India network is 3G enabled and they just need to upgrade software on their systems to offer 3g when spectrum is released.
So theres nothing special about this Airtel launching 3G and iam sure that they(Airtel) will offer 3G only in cities(like EDGE).

And actually,the real power of Vodafone will come to sight when Spectrum is released by the govt(hope it is released b4 i die) bcoz of their 3G expertise in foreign countries. As you can see, Vodafone has the FASTEST 3G(actually it is faster than 3.5G) network in the World.

So all that we can do is to wait...wait...wait and wait till Govt releases the spectrum.

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
for starters even if they offer unlimited 3G dl even for 1.5k/mnth then i'll surely take it.gatting damn good speeds thru EDGE now so hope 3G will only inc that.

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
^^^

they offered unlimited gprs when it was very new... years back.... but they didn't do the same with edge... :(

so I guess we cannot see any unlimited plans when 3G launches... they will just milk the customers as long as they can ;)

1.5k seems a reasonable amount but you never know what will telcos do.. they will surely put a data cap :mad:

_

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
People in India are having 3G phones since the last two years. Still no sign of 3G network. I'm sure the 3G part of these phones will have rusted and died due to lack of usage. The day 3G gets activated, these phones will start laughing hysterically and explode. And the same will happen to us when we hear the cost of 3G.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is what i think,
Just Think,

How many of us really use current EDGE at its full speed ?????\

NOT everyone is getting full speed also.
I'm using and I get full speed...
Atleast it is better than those CDMA USB Modems from Tata and Reliance at an equal cost......

Not 90 % of people having MMS capabled PHONE have ever sent and received an MMS !!
I agree on this. Make that 90% to 99.9999999999%.......

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
The reasons MMS didn't get popular is:
Its expensive.

It needs the other party to have an MMS enabled handset with the service active and

Why use MMS when you can just as easily and at almost no cost email it (that too right from the phone itself)?

Pathik

Google Bot
Actually MMS was free by airtel about 2 years back. And it was (mis)used to the fullest by many people. There used to be mailing lists and groups(MMSplus rocked :p ) for all sorts of videos and games/apps. But then bloody Airtel started charging for it.
Neways if 3G is below 600 bucks by any SP then I m gonna go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom