After BSOD & HDD Not Recognized

TechnoHolic

Journeyman
After BSOD, HDD Not Recognized

I was surfing..suddenly a BSOD occured..restarted the pc using reset button because windows was hanged at that time..After restarting, the harddisk wasn't recognized at boot time..by pressing the reset button again, entered the BIOS menu and there is no harddisk..!! then turned off my PC for sometime (some seconds) and switched it on and everything was OK..I didn't get further BSOD's till now (after 4 hrs of usage)
but i'm very much worried about my harddisk now..i've a huge amount of data on that disk..googled on the issue but didn't find any workable help/solutions..
So asking here..Please help..
OS-XP SP2
RAM-Corsair value 1600 (new)
please hit spoiler..

Last edited:
OP
TechnoHolic

TechnoHolic

Journeyman
Re: After BSOD & HDD Not Recognized

Generic iBall 12V on 18A

download & install crystaldisk info & post the screenshot of values table here.

Here it is..Installed new OS.
HDD.JPG

Last edited:

Myth

Cyborg Agent

Might be the psu.
"12V on 18A" is irrelevant here. Somehow I dont trust local psu ratings.

Run seatools tests and post here if any fails.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
hexa value of 19 in ultraDMA crc error count indicates problem with either sata cable or power supply issue.you can replace sata cable immediately(costs only ~Rs.20) & if you are using any quad core processor or graphics card then get a new good power supply like corsair too for long term safety.in fact even if you are not using these still at least get FSP 400W for ~1800-1900 just for peace of mind.corsair VS450 is more widely available & costs ~2200.

OP
TechnoHolic

TechnoHolic

Journeyman
hexa value of 19 in ultraDMA crc error count indicates problem with either sata cable or power supply issue.you can replace sata cable immediately(costs only ~Rs.20) & if you are using any quad core processor or graphics card then get a new good power supply like corsair too for long term safety.in fact even if you are not using these still at least get FSP 400W for ~1800-1900 just for peace of mind.corsair VS450 is more widely available & costs ~2200.

Thanks for reply..
are you sure it's not my HDD problem.!!??
Faced only two times.
1. when i was trying to quit malwarebytes process from process manager
and
2.as indicated on 1st post..
any way today reinstalled my OS and no problem till now..it is running instantly more or less 6 hrs today..

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Along with all the other advice, plz plz plz back that stuff up on some DVDs or on an external NOW!!

OP
TechnoHolic

TechnoHolic

Journeyman

I'll..i have a 'foxconn' sata cable will try it tomorrow..

Along with all the other advice, plz plz plz back that stuff up on some DVDs or on an external NOW!!

why..?
Is the HDD going to be bad..!

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz

why..?
Is the HDD going to be bad..!

Hopefully not! But better be safe than sorry, especially when it has happened once/twice. Stitch in time saves nine. At least back your "really" important stuff up (like docs/pdfs/stuff)

OP
TechnoHolic

TechnoHolic

Journeyman

Yes..i keep my documents in CD/DVD as multisession basis..but i'm worried about my collections..

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
ultraDMA crc error indicates corrupt data writing which is most likely caused by faulty sata cable(personal experience).usually hardware error is indicated by pending/reallocated/uncorrectable sector count.still always backing up important data is a must no matter how good hdd is running.

OP
TechnoHolic

TechnoHolic

Journeyman
that time i saw a boot message "something that means HDD is not recognized (forgot the actual words) + contact support.intel.com)"
then i turned off my pc and restarted..and everything was Ok..

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
just keep checking values in crystaldisk few times a day for next 1-2 weeks.the raw values of attributes i mentioned must not increase.

OP
TechnoHolic

TechnoHolic

Journeyman
ultraDMA crc error indicates corrupt data writing which is most likely caused by faulty sata cable(personal experience).usually hardware error is indicated by pending/reallocated/uncorrectable sector count.still always backing up important data is a must no matter how good hdd is running.

Changed the sata cable..is there any problem if i add SATA II cable to a SATA III harddisk..My previous cable came with a SATA II Hard disk.

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Changed the sata cable..is there any problem if i add SATA II cable to a SATA III harddisk..My previous cable came with a SATA II Hard disk.

What? cables have changed as well from II to III? I thought the same cable could be used with both...

There's nothing like a SATA II or SATA III cable technically, there's just branding and marketing and cables that have latches.

So, go ahead and use that "SATA II" cable without worries.

Last edited:
OP
TechnoHolic

TechnoHolic

Journeyman
just keep checking values in crystaldisk few times a day for next 1-2 weeks.the raw values of attributes i mentioned must not increase.

it is increasing..I've already changed the sata cable..what to do now..Please help me..

Attachments

• HDD 27 mar 13.JPG
    HDD 27 mar 13.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 95

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
it is increasing..I've already changed the sata cable..what to do now..Please help me..
previous value was 19(25 in decimal system) & current value is 1A(26 in decimal system) so value increased just by 1.keep an eye & post the value again if it changes in next 7-8 days.

Top Bottom