Admission Procedure for Computer Science in India !

Should the Admission Process for Computer Courses be Redefined ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
I have been pondering over the Admission Procedure for Computer Science in Universities .

Likw for instance in AIEEE based institutes there is a mad rush for CSE , everyone wants to takes CSE only .

Also ,Universities do not Differentiate between CS(Computer Science) , CE(Computer Engineering) and SE(Software Engineering) and they club these into a Single course CSE . The three of these are Fundamentally diferent disciplines and with clearly demarcated objectives.

What's even more distressing is that they only take your Phy , Maths n (yuck!) Chem marks into consideration without even so as glancing at your Computing and Analytical Abilities . And then they have the First-Year common syllabus crap which essentially means that your first year at college is a complete waste if you're into CS .

I mean for entrance into Computer Related Courses shouldn't they atleast have Computer as a subject in the Entrance Test and shouldn't Comp n Maths be the main criteria for Admission to Computer and related courses ?

PS: I'm not even talking bout IIT's coz most ppl there only care about the best "package" and not the field they like .

Last edited:

iNFiNiTE

The cake is a lie!!!
It is essential that it should be checked whether the candidates understand nething abt computers or not.
When i took admission in my PG course, half of the class had only basic computing knowledge - most of them having no idea abt programming etc. Even now the situation is not different, most of them are able to score good marks coz they can mug up the theory but ask them a single practical quesn and they r often clueless.

OP
Zeeshan Quireshi

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
My point exactly .

Most ppl that get into CS(our should i say CSE) courses have absolutely no practical knowledge of computers n just get admissions coz they just spoiled 2 years of their lives locked in a room.

slugger

Banned
Also ,Universities do not Differentiate between CS(Computer Science) , CE(Computer Engineering) and SE(Software Engineering) and they club these into a Single course CSE.

i wonder why u sayin this?
Because the moment you say Engineering it automatically means that it comes under the purview of the AICTE, who gives the Universities the authority to allow colleges to teach this [its a professional course]

whereas when you mention Science it means that it does not come under AICTE (i think it falls under the purview of the UGC)

So no authorised university can ever club them together and offer them as one course

You have B.E/BTech in Computer Engg and BSc in Computer Science - two distinclty different courses

It seems my situation is just the same .I am interested in SE and not the whole package CSE.I suppose some exams like DCE test programming and basic computer knowledge too .But only 10-12 questions r relevent to computers.First year course is crap though.Why is common teaching promoted when we have already chosen our streams or courses.
Youc cannot expect anything to change in near fututre though

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
I feel the present admission system is OK. The problem is we have less seats in coveted engg. colleges.

I don't know about other places, but in Chennai/TN, people go for ECE (Electronics and Communication) than CSE or IT. My brother scored TN Rank 49 in AIEEE last year and he got to choose any NIT and any course. He's in NIT, Trichy now doing ECE.

And people who say they know nothing in wha they studied, please don't blame anyone but you. Unless you study in IITs/NITs, it's upto to pull up your socks and do what it takes to learn the things.

Pathik

Google Bot
I completely agree with you.
And the worst university in this context is Mumbai University.
The syllabus, the admission process - everything sucks.
You can become a computer engineer without ever touching a computer here.
:x

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
engg system is sh1t absolutely sh1t the more lick ur teacher's arse the better u are; they teach stuff that obsolete i mean who the f* uses bjt today, then they have this absolutely freakingly dumb syllabus that is nothing more than 6 months worth give the exam and forget the sh1t

then comes the files, making us write like dumb fcuks just copy like idiots so that all u see is that the teacher throws that file after signing it and they rot and the bloody college from whom u buy the paper u write on sells the files and gets the raddi ka paisa too mo fcuks ba*tards

and the fils are the best way for teachers to show that they have authority; u have less attendance or uv brought the teacher down to earth they will take revenge yes thats the word revenge during submissions as if they are our masters and we are their slaves cheap egoists who cant even talk proper english are teaching us they freakin cant even read whats in the text books and come to teach us

man i might sound a sadistic maniac but i seriously feel like holding the teachers of college by their collars and keep on banging their heads in the walls

and i know fraking lot more than the ch*t*ya computer enggs that our mumbai university produces i freaking troubvleshoot their pcs they dont even know how to insall windows and they are enggs

our education system only produces labourers we are not allowed to do what we want ... i mean for christ sake what does a computer engg have to do with what time will it ake for a stone thrown 10 floors to come down ... u wanna teach us that teach us but don freakin fail us for that and then these ma**ch*ds have reservation quotas to fcuk us more

man dont get me started on our education system

OP
Zeeshan Quireshi

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
@drgrudge , my point is that studying for the Specialized field that you want actually puts at a disadvantage here .

Children here are only studying PCM day and night even if they want to get into CS .

Thus if you imrove your Computing skills then you would devote less time to PCM n that would bring down your rank in Entrance Exams .

This system does not allow you to study PCM to the level that is needed for your Major n then concentrate on your Choosen field . It forces you to "mug-up" unnecessary things and which you know you'll not even remember after 2 years .

My point is thus that even though i want to study , i am not ready to study something which i know will be of no use to me later anywhere in my life . I would rather use that time to concentrate more on my Field than waste itnon the unnecessary stuff .

@Pathik , yup , Here you can be a Software Engineer without even touching computers.

Ohh , and one more thing . Most people think of Software Engineering as one-more branch of Engineering .

Software engineering involves Development and Maintenance of Large-Scale software systems and making different components work with each other .

It is only similar to Engineering in the Implied meaning , that is making stuff work together , but colleges throw upon you the whole First Year Common-Syllabus thing thereby wasting more precious time of yours .

@iMav , man i fel exactly the same . Even here in Grade XII , we have to make the frickin Projects .

I mean i made the Computer Project which had 20 programs with the cleanest and most-efficient code i could think of n then teacher says:
"Beta main toh marks de doongs but project bahut patla hai , external examiner project read nahin karta , bas size dekh kar marks deta hai . Har page ke beech mein ek transparency laga do jisse mota ho jaaye "

And when in exams i solve some sum using an algorithm other than the one taught in syllabus and even though it is not entioned in the question to use a specific algorithm , the teacher is like:

"Even though your program is more fficient and better than the other but board examiners won't give you marks as they'll not understand this . Go write it the way it has been taught( read "mug-up" the whole algorithm ) .

Last edited:

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
I am studying to get a fukking degree,I told my parents to let me do botany honours but they wouldn't let me do 'unprofessional' course.fcuk MBBS\B.Tech,the journey was more pleasant than the destination.

anish_sha

.:: 3 : 1 6 ::.
Its not only the C.S thing should change, every thing here needs a change, you know my friend who is in final year B.E (c.S) was asking me what a "Server" is when i was chatting with him ! ! ! Such a pity condition is the education system here, as someone said, india will be the only country where we can get a computer degree without seeing the computer itself ! ! ! , see the case is not different in mechanical field, i'm a mechanical engineering student, nothin we study during our course can be applied when we go to industry.. What we study is "IDEAL" things and in industries its "REAL"things which is much much diff from what we studied.. Here its just the matter of mugging up and vomiting on the exam paper! ! !

OP
Zeeshan Quireshi

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Its not only the C.S thing should change, every thing here needs a change, you know my friend who is in final year B.E (c.S) was asking me what a "Server" is when i was chatting with him ! ! ! Such a pity condition is the education system here, as someone said, india will be the only country where we can get a computer degree without seeing the computer itself ! ! ! , see the case is not different in mechanical field, i'm a mechanical engineering student, nothin we study during our course can be applied when we go to industry.. What we study is "IDEAL" things and in industries its "REAL"things which is much much diff from what we studied.. Here its just the matter of mugging up and vomiting on the exam paper! ! !

Yup , and i gues B.E(C.S) stands for Bachelor of Engineering ( Computer Science ) .

I don't understand how can they grant a Bachelor Engineering Degree with Computer Science as Major .

Computer science and Computer Engineering are Totally different and here they take both as one(Heck , they consider CS under a B.Tech/B.E Major)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I mean i made the Computer Project which had 20 programs with the cleanest and most-efficient code i could think of n then teacher says:
"Beta main toh marks de doongs but project bahut patla hai , external examiner project read nahin karta , bas size dekh kar marks deta hai . Har page ke beech mein ek transparency laga do jisse mota ho jaaye "

And when in exams i solve some sum using an algorithm other than the one taught in syllabus and even though it is not entioned in the question to use a specific algorithm , the teacher is like:

"Even though your program is more fficient and better than the other but board examiners won't give you marks as they'll not understand this . Go write it the way it has been taught( read "mug-up" the whole algorithm ) .

lol...the dumb, dumber and dumbest folklore.
Why the heck should one change the algo, I never did that, my way my algo, to hell with syllabus.

PCM are necessary evil. A bit of bio doesn't hurt too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom