A viable option to drift away from IIT?

kaelthas

Broken In
It always seems obvious in hindsight doesn't it? :p

Among the "safeties" that you listed two don't give need based fin aid and another is need aware. In fact the universities I applied to can be called reaches for even 2300. I have seen candidates with my SAT score getting selected while 2300 getting rejected, so don't mislead others to think that getting 2300 instead of 2200 solves everything.

You prove my point exactly. There is no limit to how perfect an application can become, but Indian students are already in a crunch for their competitive exams etc. I guess rich students from big schools can get ECs with "depth" very easily but such students already have their life carved out by their parents.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
It always seems obvious in hindsight doesn't it? :p

Among the "safeties" that you listed two don't give need based fin aid and another is need aware. In fact the universities I applied to can be called reaches for even 2300. I have seen candidates with my SAT score getting selected while 2300 getting rejected, so don't mislead others to think that getting 2300 instead of 2200 solves everything.

You prove my point exactly. There is no limit to how perfect an application can become, but Indian students are already in a crunch for their competitive exams etc. I guess rich students from big schools can get ECs with "depth" very easily but such students already have their life carved out by their parents.

You are correct, US admission process is extremely unpredictable and anything can happen to anyone.

- - - Updated - - -

Only 6 colleges in USA are need-blind to International applicants:

1) Amherst College
2) Dartmouth College
3) Harvard University
4) Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
5) Princeton University
6) Yale University

Merit-based scholarships is the only option for most good colleges.

Thanks, I did cross IIT but a general category student cant get much with the rank I got. :p

1)I joined a coaching centre and was somewhat sincere in 11th. However I stopped attending classes regularly somewhere in 12th.

2)After boards I joined a "crash course" with another coaching. It was good but I was too weak in chemistry. In two months i could only sharpen my physical chem. Most benefit was in physics, I solved many good physics problems during this time.

3)This is the thing which everyone should know. Even if you score well in jee mains, your rank will be decided mostly by your board marks. If you get below 92% in boards chances of getting an NIT will become very less.

To use a gaming analogy, if Jee Main signifies a CPU then your board percentage will be the GPU. After getting a decent CPU you should spend most money on GPU. It is easy to bottle-neck your GPU but not your CPU. In other words aim for 95% in boards. Its not even that difficult since questions are pretty predictable, only hard work is required.
A few more questions lol ....im a noob in such cases...
1. What is a "crash" course and which coaching did you take up for it ? and which coaching did you joined in 11th ?
2. Was that coaching any help full ?
3. Can you suggest me good preparation books for JEE both mains and advanced ?
4. How was the BITSAT ? easier than JEE ? how should I prepare for that ? are BITs in completion with the IIT's ?
5. Are you happy with the decision of going to BITs ?

kaelthas

Broken In
A few more questions lol ....im a noob in such cases...
1. What is a "crash" course and which coaching did you take up for it ? and which coaching did you joined in 11th ?
2. Was that coaching any help full ?
3. Can you suggest me good preparation books for JEE both mains and advanced ?
4. How was the BITSAT ? easier than JEE ? how should I prepare for that ? are BITs in completion with the IIT's ?
5. Are you happy with the decision of going to BITs ?

Dude you are asking questions as if I am topper or something :p

1)A crash course is a fast revision course. I joined a reputed local coaching for it. In 11th I just took satellite coaching from a reputed institute.
2)It was but in hindsight should have studied from physical teachers. Satellite coaching didn't suit me I started wasting my time.
3)Join some coaching, they will give you the books.
4)BITSAT is definitely easier than JEE but is based on the same concepts. If you prepare for JEE you are preparing for BITSAT also. With that said solving many papers and improving speed is the key to BITSAT.
5)Its my best option for sure.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
According to research, not even the so called "native english speakers" score full marks in TOEFL/IELTS.

So much for Test of "English as a foreign language", lol :razz:

LoL. TOEFL was very easy. I got distracted in the Listening section due to reasons and I spoke too long is the speaking section so as to go over the time limit.
Consequently, I scored 26/30 in Listening and 28/30 in speaking. My Reading and Writing sections were perfect.

TOEFL is too damn easy. SAT, on the other hand, is a nightmare.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I did my writing section 10 mins before the time limit and could afford to take a short break. Even after the break I had time to revise lol.

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
Just got 114 in TOEFL.

TOEFL is really easy, a bare minimum standard of english for anyone if I may say so.

It was all the rage few years ago, I had taken a few demo tests and was scoring in the range of 105-110 with zero preparation !

The amount of USAphiles in this thread is too DAMN HIGH !

I speak with many Americans on a day to day basis, most of them IT/System Admins.They don't seem to be very bright.Not really sure what the average IQ level of a system/IT admin is but if the college education system in USA is as good as it is being described by a certain number of people in this thread I should be speaking to people who should know their ****.The reality, however is to the contrary !

I believe, your intelligence is the only limitation.

Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
TOEFL is really easy, a bare minimum standard of english for anyone if I may say so.

It was all the rage few years ago, I had taken a few demo tests and was scoring in the range of 105-110 with zero preparation !

The amount of USAphiles in this thread is too DAMN HIGH !

Exactly!
IDK why one of the B.Tech dude I met couldn't complete the Reading Section. :-?

D

Deleted member 345628

I have enrolled in Irvine . I failed my SAT . Not recommended . It is a money laundering institute .

Top Bottom