A viable option to drift away from IIT?

But even if i prepare for SAT and i have a good personality (in my opinion) im not sure be be admitted in any of the US universities ?So, being on a safer path what would you suggest ? as far as OP is considered he is stuck on SAT only but for me im not really that financially strong to support myself in US.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
SAT 1 Math is very easy. Except for 1 question on parabola(which is pretty easy too if your concepts are clear). The only thing is timing. The trick is to solve the first 10 questions in under 5 mins and save time for the difficult, tricky and time consuming ones.

SAT Critical Reading is a major pain in the @$$. It's the most difficult part of SAT. Try a section of SAT CR and you'll know why. Grammar is okay okay. The only thing is that your concepts should be clear(especially comma splices).

Is it tougher than GRE ?

I think the normal course of action is to get BE or B Tech done from India and the go for MS from US if the person resides in India.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Is it tougher than GRE ?

I think the normal course of action is to get BE or B Tech done from India and the go for MS from US if the person resides in India.

no idea how tough GRE is.

- - - Updated - - -

But even if i prepare for SAT and i have a good personality (in my opinion) im not sure be be admitted in any of the US universities ?So, being on a safer path what would you suggest ? as far as OP is considered he is stuck on SAT only but for me im not really that financially strong to support myself in US.

Only you yourself can answer your question. But if you don't have financial resources then Indian colleges are a better option.

OP
GamerSlayer

GamerSlayer

ProdiGeek
You know, I seriously still am stuck with the same problem... if you say on getting a good score the colleges don't give admissions easily, then on what basis do they give? I mean, if that becomes the case, then no foreigner gets admission. Also, where can I get coaching for preparing for SAT? I am talking abt Delhi.

You know, I seriously still am stuck with the same problem... if you say on getting a good score the colleges don't give admissions easily, then on what basis do they give? I mean, if that becomes the case, then no foreigner gets admission. Also, where can I get coaching for preparing for SAT? I am talking abt Delhi.
No, coaching can develop your personality. only coaching here is you. As i have understood in the thread (freaking) university requires productive students, students who can work for them and be better than just doing ratta last night to pass exams and due to scenario of Indian education, no Indian will qualify for what it requires, that (I assure you) if any one, I repeat anyone is able to get admission easily in anyone the reputed US univ. I will salute him.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot

Top colleges take 2 kinds of students:
1. One who excels at everything. 90%+ percentage from class 9 onwards. Near perfect SAT 1 and 2 scores. Participation in sports+cultural activities. Holds a position in the school council. Is the teacher's pet. I hope you know someone of this sort.

2. One who excels at just one thing. Perhaps a Nobel prize winner. A Olympian medalist. I don't think these 2 kinds of people are found in India. Also, a medal winner at the International Olympiads falls into this category.

MIT takes 5-6 students from India each year. If n be the no. of students accepted then n-1 falls into the second category(olympiad medal winners). If you don't have an International Olympiad Medal then you are basically fighting for that one seat which is sometimes non-existent.

Meanwhile, somewhat lower colleges like UCLA, UIUC etc should admit you if you have a very good SAT score. Nothing is "guaranteed" in the US admission process. It's like winning a lottery.

- - - Updated - - -

No, coaching can develop your personality. only coaching here is you. As i have understood in the thread (freaking) university requires productive students, students who can work for them and be better than just doing ratta last night to pass exams and due to scenario of Indian education, no Indian will qualify for what it requires, that (I assure you) if any one, I repeat anyone is able to get admission easily in anyone the reputed US univ. I will salute him.

Well summed up. US universities hate the nerdy type of guys who only excel at studying. They want their campuses to have fun kind of students.
Meanwhile.....

- - - Updated - - -

Even he couldn't get into MIT.....

hitesh

In the zone
studying for IIT now? :))

That was an year back. Right now studying in IPU

- - - Updated - - -

Is it tougher than GRE ?

Same level IMO (respectively for 12th pass-outs and graduates)

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah that's what most of the people do, but it is generally better to aim at bachelor from abroad.

- - - Updated - - -

Meanwhile, somewhat lower colleges like UCLA, UIUC etc should admit you if you have a very good SAT score. Nothing is "guaranteed" in the US admission process. It's like winning a lottery.

I wouldn't say that. Even if you get into top 30 uni in US, its awesome. The difficulty and "randomness" of getting into a top college after the top 10 decreases drastically. Why? Because people so much focus on the top 5-10 Unis that they forget there are many more which are better than IIT. A good strat would be to aim at somewhat lower unis from the start instead of sitting on MIT.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I wouldn't say that. Even if you get into top 30 uni in US, its awesome. The difficulty and "randomness" of getting into a top college after the top 10 decreases drastically. Why? Because people so much focus on the top 5-10 Unis that they forget there are many more which are better than IIT. A good strat would be to aim at somewhat lower unis from the start instead of sitting on MIT.

I am going for the safety-match-reach strategy.

Safety-sure shot.1-2
Match-good chance of admission.4-5
Reach-Low chance of admission but possible. 4-5

It is never sure to get admission in any of the universities, but one can always try. what about that i work for IIT and improve my English to a extent then try SAT and give mains? if i get a good SAT score then I can try up to some US univ. ? what about that, but my main emphasis would be IIT as SAT was never a safer option ?

hitesh

In the zone
It is never sure to get admission in any of the universities, but one can always try. what about that i work for IIT and improve my English to a extent then try SAT and give mains? if i get a good SAT score then I can try up to some US univ. ? what about that, but my main emphasis would be IIT as SAT was never a safer option ?

I would advice against it. English is not the only thing you have to work upon, as mentioned in this thread.
With this exponentially increasing competition, it is gonna be very hard to handle both.
Do it if you are very determined and confident, it is gonna be a tough journey ahead

I would advice against it. English is not the only thing you have to work upon, as mentioned in this thread.
With this exponentially increasing competition, it is gonna be very hard to handle both.
Do it if you are very determined and confident, it is gonna be a tough journey ahead
Ah, so what to choose ?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
[MENTION=161285]GamerSlayer[/MENTION]
What did you decide??
I am personally aiming for US univs with Singapore univs as a backup.
Indian univs are not much of a backup considering only IITs and BITS Pilani are the good ones.

So, admission in top 30 univ. are better than IIT ? if i give SAT and i get a good score of say 2200 then can i get admission in those 30 univ. ? And again is SAT only for US univ. ? or and other country too ? and as seamon said that if you apply for financial aid you will decrease you chance of getting into and univ., i didn't got that one and which other good univ. come in those top 30 ones ?and are they cheaper than MIT ?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
So, admission in top 30 univ. are better than IIT ? if i give SAT and i get a good score of say 2200 then can i get admission in those 30 univ. ? And again is SAT only for US univ. ? or and other country too ? and as seamon said that if you apply for financial aid you will decrease you chance of getting into and univ., i didn't got that one and which other good univ. come in those top 30 ones ?and are they cheaper than MIT ?

I think admission in top 50 is better than IIT considering IIT's rank(52).
Colleges after 25+(like UCLA) look primarily at SAT score.

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
so getting a good SAT score i mentioned can fetch me better life than IIT ? isnt it ?

Better life??? Lol... That depends on you... There's only so much that your institute can do...

It all depends on you... And, rankings don't mean ****... I can assure you that there's no one who will say that the 7 old IITs are not at par with the leading institutes all around the world...

Whether you look at it from a placement point of view or from a research and development point of view...

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
My advice is get into NIT,BITS or top private college of the state by merit or management.

1.By final year you may have a job.

2.If you are planning for US, try doing lot of research papers , practical project in engineering .

3.Get good recos from Profs.Maintain good percentage.

4.After Btech, fly US for MS.

Btech + MS is economical than BS from US.

Don't worry about college if you have money for MS. Decent college would do.
But do work hard to get into some good one. All the best.

But others commented that its better to aim at Bachelor courses. and [MENTION=139494]powerhoney[/MENTION] why rankings don't matter ? and I think SAT is a better option but im still confused.

OP
GamerSlayer

GamerSlayer

ProdiGeek
First of all, my internet is all screwed up so I couldn't reply. [MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] I have decided to take SAT and to fudge IIT off my life. As you said that you would keep Singapore institutes as a backup, my older brother suggests the same too. It seems the best option to me since I want to get out of India and also is something that is clearly supported by my brother.

[MENTION=146650]nikhilsharma007nikx[/MENTION] You do have to aim for Bachelor courses.

[MENTION=139494]powerhoney[/MENTION] you are partially right by saying that rankings don't give a ****. See, if one is aiming for the top colleges, they do focus a lot on Co-Curricular activities which is literally the bane of an Indian Student. It is due to the fact that if he really concentrates on such activities he might screw up his results. But, not everyone gets into the top colleges. And as seamon said, the top 25+ colleges focus on SAT. Don't you see? Ranks do matter!

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Let's see.
Where IIT shines:
1. Superb academics. It is at par with top 20 colleges in the US.

Where IIT sucks:
1-100:Everything Else.

IIT is same as every other school/college in India. Professors solely focus on academics and nothing else. Compared to US universities, research done in IITs is negligible. Also take into account the govt. hostels(YEWWWW!!!) and not many foreign students take admission there. These factors contribute to a poor ranking. IIT is only good for engineering and therefore has a very poor overall ranking(256 for IIT-D).

My aim is to do a major in EECS(Electrical Engineering and Computer Science[Basically Computer Engineering]) and a minor in Performing Arts(Acting) so staying in India is not an option.

Of course B.Tech in India and then MS from abroad but then getting into MIT for MS becomes quite difficult as compared to US univs.

Top Bottom