A viable option to drift away from IIT?

GamerSlayer

ProdiGeek
To begin with, I am an Indian HATER.... you know, in terms of the education system. I mean, it's really a dump. I am a guy who has always fancied getting the hell out of India for higher studies. So now, my mind has totally drifted away due to a conversation with a few people. I feel SAT is a much better option than IIT for a guy like me (who feels that India is lacking behind as compared to the other countries). Now if I wanted coaching for IIT, you get it at the end of every street of India just like a general store. But SAT? Which books to buy? Where to go? How much hard-work required (I am neither a genius nor a hard-worker)? These are my questions! I want you guys to guide me through my 11th and 12th and lead me to SAT. So, tell me what to do?

Cheers!

hitesh

In the zone
But SAT? Which books to buy? Where to go? How much hard-work required (I am neither a genius nor a hard-worker)? These are my questions! I want you guys to guide me through my 11th and 12th and lead me to SAT. So, tell me what to do?

Cheers!

This is the time you should start preparing for SAT. It is quite easy if you start at this stage.
Now a couple of things -
Give SAT atleast 3-4 times in the span of 2years. Trust me it is really important.
There are a ton of study material. This is the best place for it - SAT and ACT Tests & Test Preparation - College Confidential
First you should start working on the vocabulary. IMO it is toughest part of SAT. Vocabulary is the reason that I scored just 1700 :(
Also give SAT subject tests.
There are many more things but my mind isn't just working right now. CC has best SAT data period. You wouldn't need to look anywhere else
Most importantly - SAT score alone wouldn't get you to a good uni. Decide what you want to do after 12th and start working on extra curricular actives. That and SAT prep should work hand in hand.
Don't prepare for both IIT and SAT. It will get you nowhere. Choose one

How much hard-work required

Comparing to preparation of IIT ? 1000times easier

101gamzer

Ambassador of Buzz
To begin with, I am an Indian HATER.... you know, in terms of the education system. I mean, it's really a dump. I am a guy who has always fancied getting the hell out of India for higher studies. So now, my mind has totally drifted away due to a conversation with a few people. I feel SAT is a much better option than IIT for a guy like me (who feels that India is lacking behind as compared to the other countries). Now if I wanted coaching for IIT, you get it at the end of every street of India just like a general store. But SAT? Which books to buy? Where to go? How much hard-work required (I am neither a genius nor a hard-worker)? These are my questions! I want you guys to guide me through my 11th and 12th and lead me to SAT. So, tell me what to do?

Cheers!

Go to Newyork city that never sleeps.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Score good marks in school exams.
Participate in lot of extracurricular activities. Do some social service. Get selected as a prefect in school(demonstration of leadership qualities).
Getting an average score in SAT is pretty easy. If you want better colleges than IIT then a score of 2250-2400 is expected(not required.....expected) of you. Getting this kind of scores is a major pain in the @$$.
Cracking the SAT requires time and patience. At least 4-5 months of vocabulary mugging(ideally 900-1000 words), grammar practice(Advanced concepts, compared to which CBSE grammar looks like Nursery grammar) and essay writing.
If you think you can escape from 11th concepts then think again. The best colleges require SAT 2 in
1.Maths.
2.Physics/Chemistry.
SAT 2 tests all concepts of class 11 and 12.

You have to do this all while doing extremely well in class and pleasing your teachers as they are going to write your recommendation letters(1 counselor+1 Eng teacher+1 Maths+1 Chem/Physics+additional letters are good).

MIT, the world's engineering best college, requires an International Olympiad medal almost compulsorily. Getting this medal requires that you complete your class 12 course by November of class 11.
Some colleges take your interview too.

Getting admission in a college better than IIT is not at all easy.
Also be prepared to dish out 12-18 lakhs as fees per annum.

A comparatively easy way out is NTU in Singapore. It requires just board results. The only thing is last year cut off was 97% for CBSE.

BTW ranking for engineering:
IIT-52.
MIT-1.
NTU-22.
NUS(Singapore)-9.

- - - Updated - - -

Recommended books:
1. Erica L Meltzar's grammar book.
2.Erica L Meltzar's the Critical Reader.
[These 2 books are for those who want to score a perfect 800 in both writing and reading]
3.Princeton Review(Course material is for average scorers)
4.SAT's official book aka blue book. Use this for practice.
5.SAT Direct Hits(Vocab)-Another superb book.
6.Barron's etc for more practice.

OP
GamerSlayer

GamerSlayer

ProdiGeek
It seems that Hitesh's post and your post Seamon contradict a little. Hitesh says that SAT is much easier in comparison to IIT whereas you say it is more difficult that IIT. So, how much time to spend preparing for SAT along with CBSE?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
It seems that Hitesh's post and your post Seamon contradict a little. Hitesh says that SAT is much easier in comparison to IIT whereas you say it is more difficult that IIT. So, how much time to spend preparing for SAT along with CBSE?

SAT 1 Math is very easy. Except for 1 question on parabola(which is pretty easy too if your concepts are clear). The only thing is timing. The trick is to solve the first 10 questions in under 5 mins and save time for the difficult, tricky and time consuming ones.

SAT Critical Reading is a major pain in the @$$. It's the most difficult part of SAT. Try a section of SAT CR and you'll know why. Grammar is okay okay. The only thing is that your concepts should be clear(especially comma splices).

hitesh

In the zone

SAT exams are easier but combined with extra curricular, competitions , olympiads, social work etc it gets difficult. But really IMO it is still much easier than the whole IIT process.
I started studying a week before SAT exam and scored 1700. I regret not starting early and focusing on extra cur.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
SAT exams are easier but combined with extra curricular, competitions , olympiads, social work etc it gets difficult. But really IMO it is still much easier than the whole IIT process.
I started studying a week before SAT exam and scored 1700. I regret not starting early and focusing on extra cur.

Not to undermine you or anything but 1700 on SAT is nothing. You can't expect to get admission in a good college with this kind of score. Getting this kind of score is extremely easy.

hitesh

In the zone
Not to undermine you or anything but 1700 on SAT is nothing. You can't expect to get admission in a good college with this kind of score. Getting this kind of score is extremely easy.
I know that score is very easy. But you see I just studied a week before exam, 3-4 hour max each day. Did some essay writing and read direct hits. That's it. Such a terrible prep.
And I know this score wouldn't get me anywhere, so that's why I didn't applied

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I know that score is very easy. But you see I just studied a week before exam, 3-4 hour max each day. Did some essay writing and read direct hits. That's it. Such a terrible prep.
And I know this score wouldn't get me anywhere, so that's why I didn't applied

studying for IIT now? :))

So, what about scholarship ? can't we get them ? It would be better of you if you explain everything in a much better way rather emphasizing its difficulty ?

- - - Updated - - -

I just saw that at average a student of MIT who has got a scholarship has to pay about $24000 :shock: !!!! hell, now what ?
it seems pretty difficult to choose now, please some one help us !

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
So, what about scholarship ? can't we get them ? It would be better of you if you explain everything in a much better way rather emphasizing its difficulty ?

- - - Updated - - -

I just saw that at average a student of MIT who has got a scholarship has to pay about $24000 :shock: !!!! hell, now what ?
it seems pretty difficult to choose now, please some one help us !
One has to apply for financial aid. In need-conscious schools, if you apply for aid you decreases your chances of admission.
Harvard gives a lot of financial aid I think. The only thing is that it's near damn impossible to get admission in Harvard. They reject 2400 SAT scorers on a regular basis.

OP
GamerSlayer

GamerSlayer

ProdiGeek
Do you mean IIT is better than SAT? I mean, I am seeing totally converse of what I have heard from many people in comparison your last post!

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Do you mean IIT is better than SAT? I mean, I am seeing totally converse of what I have heard from many people in comparison your last post!

I don't know how to answer that question.
How can you compare an Institution to a standardized test? :-?

He meant JEE .

- - - Updated - - -

One has to apply for financial aid. In need-conscious schools, if you apply for aid you decreases your chances of admission.
Harvard gives a lot of financial aid I think. The only thing is that it's near damn impossible to get admission in Harvard. They reject 2400 SAT scorers on a regular basis.
So what basically is the criterion of selection ?well, after thinking a lot i decided that I can take up a bachelor degree in INDIA from NIT or IIT then I can take up a masters degree in US by giving SAT ? So, hows that for an option ?Is it even possible ?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
He meant JEE .

- - - Updated - - -

So what basically is the criterion of selection ?well, after thinking a lot i decided that I can take up a bachelor degree in INDIA from NIT or IIT then I can take up a masters degree in US by giving SAT ? So, hows that for an option ?Is it even possible ?

You can't really compare JEE and SAT. A good score in JEE+Advanced will undoubtedly fetch you IIT. To crack JEE+Advanced, you have to study for 2 years straight.
Meanwhile, to crack(2300+ score) the SAT, you need to mug up vocab and practise sample questions for 4-5 months. The only thing is even if you get a perfect score in SAT, your admission in the top colleges is not guaranteed. US colleges want people who can contribute to the campus. They was fun people who have a variety of talents.
While SAT is undoubtedly easier than JEE+Advanced to crack, but getting admission in a good US college is not easy.

For masters, there is GRE and not SAT. SAT is for undergrad. The thing is, doing undergrad from a reputed US college will give you advantage over other students for masters in good colleges like MIT.

You can't really compare JEE and SAT. A good score in JEE+Advanced will undoubtedly fetch you IIT. To crack JEE+Advanced, you have to study for 2 years straight.
Meanwhile, to crack(2300+ score) the SAT, you need to mug up vocab and practise sample questions for 4-5 months. The only thing is even if you get a perfect score in SAT, your admission in the top colleges is not guaranteed. US colleges want people who can contribute to the campus. They was fun people who have a variety of talents.
While SAT is undoubtedly easier than JEE+Advanced to crack, but getting admission in a good US college is not easy.

For masters, there is GRE and not SAT. SAT is for undergrad. The thing is, doing undergrad from a reputed US college will give you advantage over other students for masters in good colleges like MIT.
Why ?

Top Bottom