A small guide on Nautilus

Status
Not open for further replies.

shivkumar

>>>>>Monkey Power
This small tutorial, i have created from a lot of reading of references and personal experiments, since I am relatively new to Linux (especially Ubuntu where it is the default file manager), I recommend all newbies like me to read and see and explore the power of nautilus.

Nautilus is a powerful file manager and in addition to that it is a lot more, it can perform lot of other tasks as well.
Well when you open nautilus you won't find any place (or URI) to enter the location you want to browse, so you can get it by pressing {Ctrl} + {L}. This will provide you with lots of powerful tools, some of which I have explored, I have given below
1. Nautilus as a CD/DVD burner : open URI and Enter the “burn:///” and it drops you to a front-end for burning CDs and DVDs, simply drag and drop the files and folders, organise them and click on burn button and here you go. Your files are written in the optical media.
2. Nautilus emulating Windows Explorer : Well, I have recently shifted from Windows, so I still miss the “My Computer” Explorer look. Try entering “computer:///” in URI and you get the look of Windows Explorer with drives mounted as separate disk along with your CD/DVD drives and other devices like pen drive listed there; Enjoy browsing like windows.
3. Nautilus as FTP browser: Enter the following info in URI and there you go to browse ftp location: “ftp://username:password@location.domain”. The same thing can be achieved by File Menu -> Connect to server... .
4. Nautilus as network browser: Enter “network:///” and you can browse the Windows or linux network computers and shared drives through it .
5. Nautilus as theme manager: Enter “themes:///” and you can view the thumbnail of all the themes available in your pc. Well, I was able to apply the theme in one of my friends pc by simply double clicking on the theme but it didn't work for me. I can't explain why. Try it in your pc and you may be able to do it. Note: use command
Code:
gksudo nautilus
if you plan to apply the theme directly by double clicking the theme.
6. View Hidden files and folders : Linux prevents viewing of lots of configuration and settings files and folders to be viewed, of course you can view them in console by command “ls -a” but you can also view them in Nautilus by pressing the key {Ctrl} + {H}. Pressing the same keys again will hide them.
7. Create Symbolic Link / Short-cut quickly : Just hold {Ctrl} + {Shift} button and drag the selected file to desired location say desktop and you have a symbolic link made instantaneously.
8. Use scripts to work faster: Lot of scripts are available at this place for downloading and installing. You can install them by copying these scripts in “/home/username/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/” directory and get lot of available script in context menu.

Hope this small compilation of info will be useful for you. I have done all these things in Ubuntu 6.06 LTS. I think it should work in other distros as well.

Last edited:
OP
shivkumar

shivkumar

>>>>>Monkey Power
@prakash
Thanks for the encouragement and
praka123 said:
Nautilus is the default file manager in GNOME Desktop
Thanks for the info

BTW can I disable smileys in the post
Code:
:p

is getting converted into :p

OP
shivkumar

shivkumar

>>>>>Monkey Power
@tech_your_future: Yes part of it from LFY but I also did search on internet before writing it, some are from blogs searched by google as well. I have carried out R&D on all the info I have given.
BTW I am still learning to use linux and can't create such an extensive info by myself. I intended to help new users on linux like myself by sharing my knowledge gained till now.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Vishal Gupta said:
Put that URL in
Code:
 ;)[/QUOTE]
anything in [tags] will not be converted to similies,

put the link in [url] tag as code will sepratly highlight it.

OP
shivkumar

shivkumar

>>>>>Monkey Power
@gary: see your post above. You have quoted vishal and qoute box contains smiley.

BTW, I just wanted to know bout disabling smileys alltogether in any of the post. I have seen this option in few other forums.

eddie

El mooooo
shivkumar said:
BTW, I just wanted to know bout disabling smileys alltogether in any of the post. I have seen this option in few other forums.
Just click on "Disable smilies in text" under "Additional Options"
*img217.imageshack.us/img217/350/snapshot10od9.th.jpg

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Mehul you are right. he just "Copy + Pasted" the whole thing from the LFY mag!!!
I do know most of these things. Been using Linux for a long time.

mediator

Technomancer
@Jguru and @Mehul, So what man even if he picked and copied the things? :oops: Everyone is copying in the world. @Jguru I know u are good in java, u also learned from books na! @Vishal is bond in registry hacking he also copies and pastes stuff released be microsoft and registry hack experts. People become bond in Linux only by copying the knowledge and learning it and posting their copied knowledge to other places. I have experience in java,shells,linux etc. I learnt from sites and post the copied knowledge everywhere. There is nothing of my own or something created indegeniously by me except some program codes.

S

sariq

this guide is usefull for linux newbies, i have not read it anywhere earlier.

regarding copy pasting :whenever i find something by long searching, i put it in the forms i go frequently, if even anybody other doesnt use it, i can still search it easily :)

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
mediator said:
@Vishal is bond in registry hacking he also copies and pastes stuff released be microsoft and registry hack experts.
Excuse Me!
Buddy! who told u that I copy/paste the stuffs?
I post what I know, otherwise I don't post...

mediator

Technomancer
^^ Ok sorry man! Everybody is not a bond like u. I just wanted to say, that the guy is doing good stuff and helping others, but he is being scolded here instead!

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
mediator said:
@Jguru and @Mehul, So what man even if he picked and copied the things? :oops: Everyone is copying in the world. @Jguru I know u are good in java, u also learned from books na! @Vishal is bond in registry hacking he also copies and pastes stuff released be microsoft and registry hack experts. People become bond in Linux only by copying the knowledge and learning it and posting their copied knowledge to other places. I have experience in java,shells,linux etc. I learnt from sites and post the copied knowledge everywhere. There is nothing of my own or something created indegeniously by me except some program codes.

No problem is copying and pasting things. It's a good way of sharing the info you found somewhere. But you've to give proper credits to the original author. Giving source is a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom