A small guide on Nautilus

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
desertwind said:
No problem is copying and pasting things. It's a good way of sharing the info you found somewhere. But you've to give proper credits to the original author. Giving source is a good idea.

@Riyaz, I fully agree with you.
@Mediator, There is nothing wrong with the "Copying & Pasting". As long as you
give credit to the original author (who wrote the stuff). Mention the Source.

mediator

Technomancer
I agree with everyone here!!
The source should be given when it is a ditto copy. But I dont think anybody needs to give the source when the person has typed the things and copied partially from magazine and copied the stuff from various different sources or individual lines of a book.

shivkumar said:
This small tutorial, i have created from a lot of reading of references and personal experiments, since I am relatively new to Linux (especially Ubuntu where it is the default file manager), I recommend all newbies like me to read and see and explore the power of nautilus.
shivkumar said:
Yes part of it from LFY but I also did search on internet before writing it, some are from blogs searched by google as well. I have carried out R&D on all the info I have given.
Atleast read what the person has said!

I hope u got my point! There are stickies in this forums compiled by individual members. How can they give the source for all of it?? And nobody asked the source from them!! People posted info on linux commands. Should I say "I saw that posted exactly in Orielly tutorials but nobody gave the source??"

If a person took no pain in creating and compiling the stuff then he oughta give the source or else I dont think anyone should constantly remind him of that and demoralise him instead of repping and appreciating his work!

What all I see here usually is people reminding the person to give the source. Thats ok! But if he copied entirely. But I rarely see anyone appreciating here for helping others. All the people say here is "I knew that" or "Talk something new" or "That is old info"!

What all I urge others is to have some friendly and encouraging attitude towards other's work. If u knew of the information, then ignore it or add more of it if u know more. But please dont demoralise others.

I hope I was clear! I didn't mean any offence to anyone! :)

OP
shivkumar

shivkumar

>>>>>Monkey Power
Guys, Sorry I was not here for last few days to clarify the situation from my side. Well, I have definitly copied a large part of it from LFY but I have also read the Nautilus Help and some blogs as well. The whole thing I have formatted into a more easy language. The so referred source itself seemed to me as a copy and paste of Nautilus help file, check it yourself. Secondly many things given in LFY magazine didn't work for me, I have omitted them from my post, such as "applications:///" and "start-here:///"
Secondly, I intended to provide ready help to all the new users of linux like me. I think my intention was right in sharing the knowledge.

I hope I have not hurt anyone, next time I will take care to mention all the references in future posts.

No hard feelings here :)

PS: thanks mediator for understanding my point.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
@mediator
Completely agree :)
If the post is completely copy/paste from somewhere, the source is must.
But if some1 posts, what he knows, like posting some linux commands, some registry tricks, etc. There is actually no source for these things coz we also don't know when we came to know about them, these informations come after experience ;)

mediator

Technomancer
^^I'm glad u understand! I dunno about Registry coz I'm least interested in it, but as far as Linux is concerned, u gain knowledge by copying the commands from books, or net sources , to ur mind. U may call that experience and thats right, no one knows when he/she learns it. But neways its "copying" indeed and u cannot give the source of it even if the exact is available in several other tutes! Many people compile tutes on such things from their "experience" and most of em are somewhat identical!! :)
Neways it seems my simple request became a debate zone here. So just think about it! I didn't know I'll have to explain on such simple thing but neways I dont want to carry on this further! Lets talk Open source share the knowledge! :)

OP
shivkumar

shivkumar

>>>>>Monkey Power
mediator said:
Neways it seems my simple request became a debate zone here. So just think about it! I didn't know I'll have to explain on such simple thing but neways I dont want to carry on this further! Lets talk Open source share the knowledge! :)

Totally Agree with you. ;)

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
nice info...
BTW, i remember reading in Fasttrack that nautilus can be used as a web browser. but how?

also, not everybody reads LFY. so nice piece of info.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
To view the location textfield permanently. Go to the menu Edit->Preferences
This opens up the "File Management Preferences" dialog. Here Click on the tab
"Behavior", Select Always use text-entry location bar. Click on 'Close'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom