a Newbie's queries about Ubuntu........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^yay
\m/ three cheers for the learning mind.

Hope you enjoy you stay here in open world.

use & after the command and u can close the terminal without cutting off the internet.

e.g

wvdial &

Last edited:

CadCrazy

in search of myself
^^yay
\m/ three cheers for the learning mind.

Hope you enjoy you stay here in open world.

use & after the command and u can close the terminal without cutting off the internet.

e.g

wvdial &

If we close the terminal then how to disconnect the net

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
If we close the terminal then how to disconnect the net

killall wvdial
see in the system monitor that the exact name of the process is wvdial or something else

maybe this will work or try to get PID of the wvdial process and then
kill PID_OF_PROCESS

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
HELLOOOOOO everyone........I did it I'm now posting this from Ubuntu with my WLL connection............thanx to all guys who helped me, and a special thanx for Filled Void for finding dat LG WLL modem tutorial But the tutorial wont work straight away for newer LG WLL fones as I have. I will list wat newbies like me has to do with LG BSNL WLL :

Glad it worked for you bud. May the Force be With You!

OP
j1n M@tt

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
I installed Compiz from the package manager. I installed all the compiz components except 'compiz-kde' and 'compizconfig-backend-kconfig'.......do I hav to install these since Ubuntu works with Gnome rather than KDE like in Kubuntu??

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Compiz Fusion comes by default I recall on Ubuntu . What you want to install is compizconfig-setting-manager I think.

OP
j1n M@tt

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
------
*Is there any task manager in Ubuntu as in Windows?? if I need to Force Quit an application wat should I do??......any alternate solution like ctrl+alt+del ??

*And I need to use a torrent client......which is the best torrent client in linux like uTorrent for Windows??

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
*Is there any task manager in Ubuntu as in Windows?? if I need to Force Quit an application wat should I do??......any alternate solution like ctrl+alt+del ??
Use the Gnome System Monitor? You can find it in the Administration menu I believe. You can use the kill command to kill a certain app also if you wish.

*And I need to use a torrent client......which is the best torrent client in linux like uTorrent for Windows??
I use Azureus. I find it more than enough for me. Its hogs a bit of resources though. Ubuntu comes with transmission by default I recall.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
use deluge if u want a light torrent client with rich interface.

for killin processes use Gnome System monitor or
killall <name of the process>

praka123

left this forum longback
gnome-system-monitor for task manager -check in System Tools menu under Applications.
for GUI apps to kill ,just press the close key a couple of times and "force quit" message will appear.

deluge is a good torrent client.vuze is kinda bloated heavy now. :|

OP
j1n M@tt

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
hmm got it......... System>>Administration>>System Monitor

but is there any shortcut keys to System Monitor?? or shortcut to Terminal??

Last edited:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
There is a menu which allows you to set shortcuts in the Administration or Preferences Menu I recall. Check if you can set it in there.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
hmm got it......... System>>Administration>>System Monitor

but is there any shortcut keys to System Monitor?? or shortcut to Terminal??
right click > add this launcher to panel :!:

see if you have alacarte installed (its the menu editing thing)
System > Preferences > Main Menu
Use it to slim down menu or add your custom entries.

OP
j1n M@tt

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
I started using Deluge torrent client......hw will I do port forwarding in linux?? whenever I test the active port, it says the port is closed. I tried random ports too, but all seems to be closed?? In windows it was the firewall blocking my ports, but in my linux box I hav no firewall installed......is there any patch like dat for WinXP for port forwarding??

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
*forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=902
*forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1148

Basically what I did was go into my router configuration page and configured my NAT. After that I was getting speeds like 80+ Before I was getting horrific speeds though. I use Azureus though.

M using Ubuntu for the past 1-2 months .. removed Vista .Its super fast now.always had 2 gb but my laptop was never working so smoothly .

Had few problems though , like after one major update , my keyboard went crazy . but then fixed that after going through few posts at ubuntuforums.org

have been checking this section quite a lot off late but never actually posted to say thanks to you guys who help everyone out with their queries .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom