a Newbie's queries about Ubuntu........

Status
Not open for further replies.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
I'm starting this thread as I'm new to the Linux world ,and I decided to start with Ubuntu as my first GNU/Linux destro. I made this decision b'coz there r a number of Ubuntu users and fans in Td forum who I hope can help me out with my efforts to become a Linux user. I will be posting all my queries regarding Ubuntu destro here.

To start with, today I tried Ubuntu 7.10 bootable DVD which I got sometime ago from a magazine.

First I want to know the following:

• If I use Ubuntu as a Bootable OS instead of intalling, wat r the limitations?? Can I install packages onto my windows NTFS partitions, save user settings, etc
  • How can I configure my BSNL WLL net connection b'coz it uses USB dial-up LG modem which needs drivers?
  • Today I ordered Ubuntu CD from Ubuntu website. But I think the numbers of appllications and multimedia codes, etc. available with dat will be limited. Where can I order for a DVD version with full Packages so dat I don't want to dl those from internet later.

Thanks in advance.
NB: All noobs like me r invited to post their Ubuntu queries here, which may help me and others who read this thread.

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
well,you can use livecd to connect to internet,browse etc in normal cases.

broadband through USB is least supported in Ubuntu.but ,with livecd you can boot and try the output of "lsusb" in a terminal(Applications>Accessories>Terminal) to see whether it is supported.

there are few drivers available for some usb modems.
the problem is ,manufacturers dont care to support Linux by opening the specifications.the hackers have to make driver modules/source using reverse engineering.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I'm starting this thread as I'm new to the Linux world ,and I decided to start with Ubuntu as my first GNU/Linux destro. I made this decision b'coz there r a number of Ubuntu users and fans in Td forum who I hope can help me out with my efforts to become a Linux user. I will be posting all my queries regarding Ubuntu destro here.

Welcome to the dark side. May the force be with you.

First I want to know the following:

* If I use Ubuntu as a Bootable OS instead of intalling, wat r the limitations?? Can I install packages onto my windows NTFS partitions, save user settings, etc
* How can I configure my BSNL WLL net connection b'coz it uses USB dial-up LG modem which needs drivers?

The main disadvantage is that it will be slow. Other than that you should be able to do the rest,. If I recall right theres a way to save your settings and documents etc . Unfortunaltey IM not sure how the modem part will work out though :(.

* Today I ordered Ubuntu CD from Ubuntu website. But I think the numbers of appllications and multimedia codes, etc. available with dat will be limited. Where can I order for a DVD version with full Packages so dat I don't want to dl those from internet later.

I have the 64 bit version. if you want that I can write it and send with the aptoncd I have.

OP
j1n M@tt

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
^^thanx guys.

@parka

I just tried 'lsusb' cmd in the terminal, it listed details abt all usb devise on my system....among dat it also displayed my LG modem as:

Bus 002 Device 003:ID 1004:6000 LG Electronics, VX4400/VX6000 Cellphone

can I configure this someway?

@FilledVoid

If I use 64-bit version, r there many supported apps for 64bit platform?

OP
j1n M@tt

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
suggest some media players for Ubuntu plz........dat default players of Ubuntu says I need to get codes for playing MP3 and .avi file :(

OP
j1n M@tt

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
I know it will be faster if I install instead of going with Live disk....now am not having enuf space on my HDD for a full installation, will try to create some free space soon.....I will wait till my copy of Ubuntu reach me through postal.

BTW....where can I dl some codes for .mp3 and .avi ?

Last edited:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
suggest some media players for Ubuntu plz........dat default players of Ubuntu says I need to get codes for playing MP3 and .avi file

You need to have the codecs installed. For that you need to download them or in other words install them. I think just installing ubuntu-restricted-extras fixes that. but then again you need to download it. Otherwise you could try Mint and it comes with it by default.

praka123

left this forum longback
*www.ubuntuguide.org =this will show you :)
if you try to play some mp3 or wma audio using totem player -it will ask you to download packages.yeah ,u need internet.

first configure net on your Linux box.then we will think of other things :)

OP
j1n M@tt

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
can anyone suggest a gud book for learning Ubuntu or Debian based OS??? some standard books like a Complete Reference or a Bible or something like dat.........

praka123

left this forum longback
dont buy any book.first familiarize with GNU/Linux. it is very tough for a windows user to move completely to GNU/Linux.take your time!.dual boot until then :) use online resources.books are simply waste of money.even if you buy ,dont spend more than Rs 100 for a Linux guide :p

OP
j1n M@tt

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
ic.....thanx for the guidance

BTW.....I was thinking of installing Ubuntu 8.04 CD version in VMware, so it can be connected to net by virtual LAN using my BSNL WLL connection. Hw abt it??

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Yeah, there's a couple of books on ubuntu. Then there's a few on debian too. What level are you looking for?
Here are a few that are available at Computer Bookshop in Mumbai. You will have to look for yourself if you're elsewhere.
*www.cb-india.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9721
*www.cb-india.com/proddetail.asp?prod=10190
*www.cb-india.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9557

praka123

left this forum longback
@jinsu:there are many entry level books available at mindstorm book stall ernakulam(near north).if you go EKM anytime soon ,do try there :)
also digit gave out a "fast track to linux" book in a past issue.

OP
j1n M@tt

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
hmm let me try........where r those fast tracks?? I usually ditched all fast track issues......never tried to read them. But this one......I will ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom