a new harddisk

Status
Not open for further replies.

rk

Broken In
friends,
i have a 2 years old compaq pc ,mobo is intel 845bg ,and having 2 hdds of 40 gb size.
Now i want to replace 1 hdd by a greater capacity hdd ,
so what is the maximum capacity hard disks are available [non sata only] in the markets,
and what prices are of various brands
and is it possible to use a sata hdd in 845bg chipset,
thnx

KnightRider

Broken In
well rk the prices varries from place to place!!! if price is a metter then go for a 80 GB HDD Seagte Baracudda its will cost you about 2350+

AlienTech

In the zone
Maxtor has 400 GB HD now available for around rs 20,000. Hey thats the price I Paid for my 40GB one 6 years ago. I am not sure seagates and hitachi's are available in retail.

KnightRider

Broken In
MAXTOR IS REALLY A NICE HDD. IT DOESNOT SHOW MUCH PROBLEMMM --- BUT IF IT SHOWS??? THEN ?? IN INDIA ITS DIFFICULT (TRUE) U CANT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT ELECTRONICS

sba

Journeyman
magnet said:
ppl says its service r poor in india.....but does the drive gives problem
Yesterday I went to give my Segate drive for warranty and you might like to know that same people were dealing in Maxtor drives as well. So it is as hard to get service for Seagate as it is for Maxtor (at least in Delhi)...you have to drive to the same place. Other than that I don't know about anything else. May be someone else will tell us...

OP
R

rk

Broken In
thnx for rply eveyone,
well i want any hdd that is bigger than 120gb,
so what will be the price for 120 gb hdd
and does it work well with intel 845bg chipset

tuxfan

Technomancer
120GB was around Rs. 3400 yesterday (17.Aug.2005) evening. But the prices increased by a few hundred since afternoon.

magnet

Youngling
get minimum 80gb...jus got new seagate sata 120gb for 3.85k...160 was for 4.5k...
its ncq disk...model number ends with 27##
## = AS
i guess

sata connection is damn easy...but your mobo should support connecting the same

AlienTech

In the zone
I haven't had RMA problems with Maxtor. What you do is get on their web site and run the diagnostic program and enter the number it gives you. They then give you the RMA number and the address to mail it back to. As soon as they get it, they will ship you a replacement drive. You could also have them ship you a drive if you give them a credit card and they refund you the money once they receive the drive back. I shipped them my drive and they received it in 2 days, they shipped me another drive which reached me in less than a week.. From malayasia.... To middle of USA, both trips about a week. Dont know about Seagate because well, After a 15 year break I just got another Seagate drive. I bought one 10 years ago by no choice as I was in a hurry to catch a flight but got my sister to take it off my hands, which it still works but only 5 gigs so basically useless. WDC and Quantum was also similar. But they took longer but all of them take less than 2 weeks. IE they don't hold onto and try to fix your drive, they give you a replacement and send your old drive in for repairs. So you loose all your data!

I'll post some tests later on after I get it working, but I paid rs4250 including VAT, cheaper than the 160GB SAMSUNG, but this is SATA2-NCQ with 8 MB buffer... Amazing drive for the price.

AlienTech

In the zone
See this.. Bet it wont work in India though :)

A hard drive post-mortem
It's dead, Jim
by Andrew Brown — March 24, 2004

AT WORK LAST WEEK, a hard drive in one of our Dell boxes bit the big one. After being put through the requisite tech support penance ("What is the error?" "Primary hard drive failure." "OK, I'd like to check a few things...") I was issued a replacement drive, which soon arrived. I swapped it in and prepared to send the old one back. Surpisingly, Dell didn't want it back. I knew hard drives were cheap, but I didn't know they weren't even worth the cost of shipping anymore.

*techreport.com/etc/2004q1/dead-drive/index.x?pg=1

sysrq

Banned
hey MAGENT!
hi MAGNET!

is ur hard disk sounds like chick ...,chrack...chrack...
coz i ahve the same hdd as urs and it sounding..:(

geekysage

Journeyman
@infra_red_dude: Dude, check out this link:

*www.dashdist.com/1u2u/company/NCQ.html

i just googled for "what is NCQ"... :idea: :roll:

indro

In the zone
Maxtor and WD's are HDD's which are widely use in OEM's , much much more than Seagate and Samsung's .maxtor and WD's are both as good as the former. For the matter of HDD's getting bad, any moveable part in a computer can get bad for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom