a new harddisk

Status
Not open for further replies.

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
Maxtor rocks, but servicing it might be a problem in India. Seagate/Samsung come next. But Samsung has a wider service network compared to Seagate. So choice is yours. Generally HD dont hang up on you so easily, but in case they do its vital that you get service if not at your doorstep then in your neighborhood. Good option is regularly backing up your data using DVDRW so that you dont pull your hair in case HD goes KABOOM!!!

AlienTech

In the zone
Worldwide hard drive shipments during the second quarter 89.7 million Units.

Word wide market share..

1.Seagate at 30.5 percent of global hard drive shipments.

2.Western Digital at 17.6 percent.

3.Maxtor at 13.5 percent.

4.Hitachi Global Storage Technologies/IBM at 15.5 percent.

5.Toshiba at 7.7 percent.

6.Samsung Electronics at 6.9 percent.

7.Fujitsu at 6.7 percent.

according to iSuppli.

As you can see, crap sells.... as long as it is cheap...

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
AFAIK, sata specifications don't include bad-sector-resistance, which, of course, is not possible.

OP
R

rk

Broken In
somebody told me 160gb cost only Rs 300/400 more than 120gb hdds, is it true
and does samsung have 160gb [non sata] disks because idon't want seagate,
and what will be its cost?

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
Yes. The difference is only 400 bucks. No idea about PATA Samsung 160GB. But it must be available since Seagate has something similar on offer. Samsung cant afford to lose business since this segment is quite lucrative.

Just checked Samsung web site. They do offer 160 GB. Official price 4,500. But it would be cheaper in the market.

Check this link. *www.samsung.com/in/products/harddiskdrives/7200rpm/index.asp

AlienTech

In the zone
Yes I posted a review on the samsung 160 PATA and seagate 160SATA since I have em both... Do a search I suppose... I paid like 4800 but that was 3 months ago.

manmay

Journeyman
guys one ques...

practically what are the data transfer rates of the sata and pata disks of same capacity...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom