A new Graphic card from the US

guru_urug

iGoogle
Hello guys,

As I had posted in an earlier thread I had planned a step by step upgrade for my system. I upgraded my PSU to a 500W seasonic one and now I want to buy a graphic card. Initially I had planned to save till end of Dec or Jan to get a new card with the AMD HD 7xxx series to be out soon. But yesterday I met a college friend who told me his brother is returning from the US (Atlanta). He can get the card for me if I want :grin: . I checked the usual sites for Graphic cards in US(newegg,tigerdirect,amazon,etc) last night and the difference is a good 2-2.5k .
Also with Black Friday coming up on 25th, the rates will fall another 15-20% on that day (crazy america :razz: ) So im thinking of getting a card now itself. Becoz I doubt I'll be able to get a card this cheap in India for the next 5-6 months atleast.

Just consider the price of this card!!
Newegg.com - PowerColor AX6870 1GBD5-2DH Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

After a rebate I can get it for $140==140*50=INR 7000/-

That card will be even less on black friday!

And in India similar 6870 card retails for 10.5k atleast. So I'll be saving 3.5-4.5k.

Please post some good deals from US sites, if anyone is aware of one. Which site has best deals??
Budget is 7.5 to 8k max ( $155) Lesser the Better.
I game @ 1440x900, even HD6850 is overkill but since this is a one time chance I want to get the best that I can get.
BTW Sapphire HD 6850 is for $130 == 6500/- but for Rs500 more I can get HD6870 :D

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
While purchasing from US, remember one thing...You won't get any warranty in India for that product. Normally companies don't offer global warranty for Graphics card. If you're okay with it, get the HD 6870, enough for your requirement.

d3p

PowerHouse
@Guru_urug: When the card arrives at Indian Airport, Customs will charge him a min of 17% or max of 37% of duties for importing electronic components.

So which means 7k x 17% = 8190 min & 7k x 37% = 9590.

All the above figure is without any warranty. IMO get the card in india itself, where its available in 10.5k with warranty. I don't think you will wish to lose warranty.

Off Topic
If you are buying a big card like 570, 580, 6970, 6990 or 590 then, i would have preferred buying it off from US & paid the duties.

Last edited:

MyGeekTips

script-kiddie geek
@Guru_urug: When the card arrives at Indian Airport, Customs will charge him a min of 17% & max of 37% of duties for importing electronic components.

So which means 7k x 17% = 8190 min & 7k x 37% = 9590.

All the above figure is without any warranty. IMO get the card in india itself, where its available in 10.5k with warranty. I don't think you will wish to lose warranty.

If his friend remove the card from box means he carry without card box still he will be charged customs ?

OP
guru_urug

guru_urug

iGoogle
^^^My question exactly

Ive asked him to remove the card and get it. will I still be candidate for import duties?

macho84

Ambassador of Buzz
No it will not be charged and only one such card he can get. You only be charged for more than one.

OP
guru_urug

guru_urug

iGoogle
luckily no plans to CFx :D

And I also confirmed from a friend of mine whose dad works in customs. It wont be charged duties.

Also any idea about any black friday deals?

d3p

PowerHouse
Just for information Graphics cards are not like Mobiles, for the second mobile which need to be paid.

Refer the import guidelines. If he get caught then,customs will ask them to produce the original bill & then will have to pay.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Nothing will happen. Tell him to open the box seals, make tiny signs of wear on the HSF label, and place the box in the main luggage (mark luggage as fragile).

BTW I had bought a PS3 at Hong Kong and I had carried it as hand baggage, no customs charge :?

As for mobile phones, my dad has usually had 2 in his pocket. Never charged for customs.

We usually kept ALL the cellphones in my mom's purse for security screening at the airports :?

Tell him to say that he got it as a gift if customs asks for a receipt.

Note: I have a lot of experience in this regard because I travel at least once outside India every year.

Cilus

laborare est orare
d35Kor, for a single graphics card there won't be any issues. It will be counted as your personal property. If the number is high then there may be problems. I had got my 1t SLI setup, Chaintech Nvidia 6800 Ultra from US only. Same case applied for Laptops too. You can carry two personal laptops.

The friend of yours, bringing the card...ask him not to lock the container where he will place the card. The reason is that it will be detected as a Circuit board in X-ray scan and security may open the container for checking. If it is locked then there is a high chance that they will break it open. Same case happened to me when I've shipped my motherboard from US.

d3p

PowerHouse
@Cilus: I think that might be the reason. As i got my card unsealed, unopened & with original packet covered.

@EG: Sometime it depends on the Airport you are boarding in & max of 2 mobiles a single person can carry along with him while checking in.

Last edited:
OP
guru_urug

guru_urug

iGoogle
I meant if the deals will atleast be announced a day or two prior. So that I can send him the links in advance.

vaibhav23

In the zone
Are there any GPU companies which provide International Warranty.
My aunt is coming to Kolkata in December so after reading this thread would want to get a gpu if I get warranty

OP
guru_urug

guru_urug

iGoogle
Ive been looking into that matter for sometime...Sapphire does seem to honor international warranty via Aditya Info tech.. the customer has to bear shipping cost while sending to Taiwan

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
^^Underlined in the previous post.

:shrug:

Mumbai, Kolkata, Delhi, Frankfurt, Christchurch, NYC, Hong Kong, Paris, The Gold Coast, London, Calgary, Vancouver, Philadelphia, Macau, Dubai, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Singapore etc.

These are the ones that I remember. From 2006 to 2011, I had no problem.

Top Bottom