A Must Read for everyone...

ParaXite

Power User
People think that a 2 GB RAM on a GPU is fast. Well, it turns out you just need 512 MB of Graphic RAM to run the latest games on a decent resolution.

Conclusion : How Much RAM Does Your Graphics Card Really Need?

An awesome article which will hopefully clear things out.

If you already knew this please share this info with other people you meet to remove this misconception.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
That article is ~3 years old. Games have evolved since then. ;) VRAM plays major role in resolution and AA. Higher you go, you need more.

Till HD 5670, 512 MB VRAM is enough. Higher than that, you are in the 1 GB territory.

Games like Crysis 2, Battlefield 3 at high resolutions like 1920x1080 or more and with high AA will need 2 GB VRAM.

OP
ParaXite

ParaXite

Power User
That article is ~3 years old. Games have evolved since then. ;) VRAM plays major role in resolution and AA. Higher you go, you need more.

Till HD 5670, 512 MB VRAM is enough. Higher than that, you are in the 1 GB territory.

Games like Crysis 2, Battlefield 3 at high resolutions like 1920x1080 or more and with high AA will need 2 GB VRAM.

Well even for these games 1 GB will suffice. I'm not talking about maxed out settings. I just want people who think graphic ram will improve game fps on their tiny monitors to read this and others to spread it because many people ask me if 1GB graphic card is enough. And yeah those guys at reliance digital and croma say that this laptop has a 1 GB graphics card and is good for gaming.
IGNORANCE!

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well even for these games 1 GB will suffice. I'm not talking about maxed out settings. I just want people who think graphic ram will improve game fps on their tiny monitors to read this and others to spread it because many people ask me if 1GB graphic card is enough. And yeah those guys at reliance digital and croma say that this laptop has a 1 GB graphics card and is good for gaming.
IGNORANCE!
I don't think anyone over here thinks that more VRAM is more performance. :p

Usually people who buy "laptops" think so. Most of them are ignorant, I agree.

I had written this thread: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-c...ormation-regarding-graphic-cards-newbies.html

Quoting from there:
Will nVidia 7300 GT 1 GB be faster than AMD HD 2600 XT 256 MB or nVidia 7600GT 256 MB??
NO. 7300 GT is simply not fast enough to make use of that 1GB video memory. 7600GT and HD 2600 XT are much faster despite having only 256 MB of video memory. Like I told you above, the only way to judge performance of a graphic card is by looking at FPS numbers delivered by them in games. For this, you need to read reviews and research yourself.
(Note: The cards mentioned in this question are end-of-line and very old. Don't think these are good cards in 2011)

Fun fact about Laptop GPUs: If you are being happy because your Rs. 50,000 laptop has 1 GB or 2 GB video memory, no need to be happy about. AMD HD 6770M which is the fastest mobile graphic card in laptops costing around Rs. 50,000 in the Indian market, it performs around the level of HD 5670 (dekstop). It is hardly helped by video memory above 512 MB. What about Intel HD graphics? Intel GPUs suck as far as graphics are concerned. I hope you got your answer.

Will AMD HD 5670 1GB GDDR3 be faster than AMD HD 5670 512 MB GDDR5?
GDDR3 and GDDR5 are memory types. GDDR5 is faster than GDDR3. So, it is better to get AMD HD 5670 512 MB GDDR5. 5670 isn't fast enough to utlize 1GB memory anyways.

These days all high-end graphic cards use GDDR5. GDDR3 is mainly found in low end graphic cards. Many years ago, the low-end graphic cards used DDR2 memory.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent

Usually people who buy "laptops" think so. Most of them are ignorant, I agree.

I had written this thread: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-c...ormation-regarding-graphic-cards-newbies.html

Quoting from there:

but if you see the sales of GT520 i will say there are desktop users also.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i don't think any reasonably priced laptop(read less than ~1.5-2lakhs) comes with a graphics card which can effectively use more than 1 gb anyway.also almost all decent laptops comes with minimum 1gb VRAM now-a-days even if they can't effectively use it.simple rule of thumb is if a laptop with graphics card is costing less than 1lakh then it can not even effectively use full 1gb VRAM.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very old one....The case is very much different now, it has already been stated by ICO
No it isn't actually if we consider the laptop scenario. I made that post in respect to desktops. For laptops - anything under 60K, you don't need more than 512 MB VRAM for most scenarios. (HD 6770M, HD 6630M, HD 6490M, GTX 550M, GT 540M etc.) The card used in that review - HD 4870 is 50% faster than HD 6770M.

and plus what whitestar said.

OP
ParaXite

ParaXite

Power User
Haha this is called a CATCH!

HP DV6 6121 TX Sandy Bridge i7 2630 QM Unboxing Comparison feat : 6017tx - YouTube

Watch at 8:00 in that video!

Post your catches here :)

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Haha this is called a CATCH!

HP DV6 6121 TX Sandy Bridge i7 2630 QM Unboxing Comparison feat : 6017tx - YouTube

Watch at 8:00 in that video!

Post your catches here :)
oh...windows experience index. One more thing which people should not judge laptops by. It behaves weirdly.

One more thing I hate about laptop buyers.

"mera WEI score ye hai." "tera zyaada hai" "Why is my WEI score less than yours? We have same laptop? Do I have virus?" "I overclocked my laptop GPU..my WEI score decreased? But your increased."

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
The scores differ there because of the HDD. No surprise that the 640GB is marginally faster than the 500Gb version. Whats the catch?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
didn't saw the video so assuming WEI is the catch as ico stated WEI does not use discreet graphics card & instead use core i integrated graphics.as for hdd main thing that matters is 5400rpm vs 7200 rpm.most economical models & large capacities hdd are 5400rpm.since in WEI lowest score is taken as final graphics & hdd are usually responsible for the score decrease.

OP
ParaXite

ParaXite

Power User
The scores differ there because of the HDD. No surprise that the 640GB is marginally faster than the 500Gb version. Whats the catch?

The catch is he says "this one has a graphic card with 1 GB ram and the other one has 2 GB ram so that means TWICE THE GFX."

That is what the topic is all about :-D

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
didn't saw the video so assuming WEI is the catch as ico stated WEI does not use discreet graphics card & instead use core i integrated graphics.as for hdd main thing that matters is 5400rpm vs 7200 rpm.most economical models & large capacities hdd are 5400rpm.since in WEI lowest score is taken as final graphics & hdd are usually responsible for the score decrease.
true what you said butl that's not the catch. My post was a random rant on people using WEI for "benchmark". :p

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
WEI only use integrated graphics unless it is disabled so minimum graphics score should be same for laptops only differing in graphics card.

P.S. i am assuming twice the GFX means different score in WEI

edit:just saw ico's post above so ignore this post or just take it as random info.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
but if you see the sales of GT520 i will say there are desktop users also.

ico already said something:

thats strange. both uses Toshiba MK6465GSX. size shouldn't affect performance. this is why i (& almost everyone else here) don't trust WEI score.
The catch is he says "this one has a graphic card with 1 GB ram and the other one has 2 GB ram so that means TWICE THE GFX."

That is what the topic is all about :-D

thats why its an unboxing video. those so called geeks don't have any detailed idea about what GPU is making it tick (other than what is there in specs).

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

Are you saying this for video or generally? (I haven't watched video).

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
WEI does use the current active card when the switching is manual (obviously), but in the video its surely using the ATI card (listen to him say all 7.4 or 6.9)

Top Bottom