A good chat client??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Not really. IMO, both are similarly good. And, I personally don't really like the idea of running too many KDE apps on GNOME.

mehulved

The desktop CD of Kubuntu won't let you install KDE/KDE apps on ubuntu. You will need alternate cd for it. Or you can just download and isntall it via apt.

mehulved

Either use apt-get or synaptic. For that you will need to set up the repositories right. Check this thread *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36536 for my repositories.
Gmail is the secret of my speed :p.

mehulved

It will give you options on which Desktop Environment/Window Manager to choose from. I myself have GNOME, KDE and XFCe on my Ubuntu as well as SLED.

eddie

El mooooo
Kopete is just a chat client my dear friend. If you install it on Ubuntu, still your desktop will still remain same i.e GNOME. You won't need to switch between desktops. On the other hand if you install the whole KDE on Ubuntu, then you will have option to switch from the place where you login (the Display Manager).

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
if i try installing XFCe by this "sudo aptitude install xubuntu-desktop"

will that work?

its only 53 mb and i've heard its light, is that true.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Its light, yes. But I havent tried installing it. Its given on Ubuntu Guide . ORG that its safe to install it via APT.

mehulved

Chester said:
if i try installing XFCe by this "sudo aptitude install xubuntu-desktop"

will that work?

its only 53 mb and i've heard its light, is that true.
Yes XFCE can be installed in that manner without a problem. I have done so. XFCe is also light on resources compared to GNOME or KDE. Another highly recommendable windows manager, besides XFCe, is enlightenment. It is really good looking customisable and low on resources. There are many other window managers but they aren't so recommended for new users. I personally haven't used them extensively either.

OP
thilina

thilina

From Sri Lanka
chesss said:
Kopete user here!!
And I love it! its even got voice support for gmail in the latest version (not tested by me), plus the notifications can be totally customized!
Supports yahoo,msn,gmail,icq,irc,aol ... :)

Link????????????????????????/

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
i think yes
you need the dependencies like kdelibs

if you have ubuntu try "sudo apt-get install kopete"

that way ^^ dependencies will also be installed

eddie

El mooooo
vignesh said:
Anyone tried IBM`s messenger.. Is it available for Linux ?
The native client is not available but plugins for sametime are available in both Gaim as well as Kopete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom