8600GT Heating Up Idle 70 Load 100 C

mitraark

Decrepit
i am using 8600GT 256 MB DDR3 with my PC [ the one listed in my Sig ] as i have given the XFX 5670 for RMA , and it is really heating up , the Idle temp is 70 C, and on load it reaches upto 100 C :( Why would it be having such abnormally hight temp ? What can i do to lower them ? Cabinet temp is really low , the i5 760 is working at 40 C at idle and hardly 55 C at load .

I already have 4 Fans i don't think adding any more would make much difference. Can i open the GPU cover and apply cooling paste on its processor or something ?? Do i need to clean the inside of it , and how ?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
How old is the card? Check whether the fan is working or not. Might just need a fresh coat of TIM and re-installation of fan. But before that please tell you are measuring the temps through which software.

sam1

Journeyman
i have been experiencing the same problem, specially when playing games like crysis, crysis 2, the temp shoots up to 102/104! i'm using 2 in SLI and the temps r measured with realtemp 3.6

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now is 8600GT from XFX too?

XFX 8600GT were popularly known as "electric stove editions" back in those days.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
You would need to clean out the GPU. Probably remove the heat sink and apply new TIM.

OP
mitraark

mitraark

Decrepit
*i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww152/mitraark/Forums/1a.gif

*i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww152/mitraark/Forums/1.gif

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ 8600gt had heating issues. I had a sparkle 8600gt which went kaput last year. As ico said, they were pretty hot(thermally) cards.

Even if you add a fresh coat of TIM ,it won't help much either but you can give it a try. Check if your fan is spinning or not.

sam1

Journeyman
the fans r spinning alright. maybe they aren't enough....i'm thinking of upgrading anyway, but i'll keep one of them for physx.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Check if the fan speed is set to auto or some other value in nvidia control panel. If it is set to auto or any lower value then manually set it to 100% speed. Also clear the fan blades at least from dust using proper tool.

sam1

Journeyman
with gpu-z, my card temps are arnd 92-95 degrees (max). the fan speed has remained at 30% throughout!! i think changing the speed manually might help a bit.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
i feel they used some really cheap & crappy heatsink that just won't transfer the heat. add to it, its a single slot card with a really small fan. even Palit 8500GT used to ship with a bigger open fan.

so if your 8600GT comes with a shound (cover), remove it, clean the HSF, reTIM it & try to increase the fan speed past 60%.

Top Bottom