6850 or 6870 ?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
most probably in January and even after that it will take some time to get in here - if you can wait then I would suggest you to hold your horses a little more for AMD 7 series gpus - the waiting will be fruitful ;-)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Nope - not before January

keep an eye on this thread ;-)
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-c...ds-southern-islands-track-release-2011-a.html

AcceleratorX

Youngling
Just my two cents: From the three brands you mentioned, Asus is the best but possibly the costliest (in terms of build quality). MSI is quite good.

Sapphire will be quite cheap, and has average build quality (contrary to Cilus, I've found Sapphire to have not so great build quality. The capacitors are of variable quality (some capacitors are really good, some are not so good, even on the same card), the cooling system looks very high quality but it really isn't a lot better IMO - I've seen Sapphire's copper heatpiped cards running at (almost) the same temperatures as cards from Powercolor with much cheaper looking coolers).

RMA is quite good, I can agree with Cilus on that. My advice is that if you can get something better, then forget about Sapphire. Sapphire is an "ok" brand, the kind that will work well but won't have anything about it particularly stand out.

Nobody even talks about XFX cards anymore, but they're out there somewhere. Anyone have any experiences to share, whether they have stepped up their game? Years ago they weren't very good quality products....."Well manufactured, but poorly designed" is what always came to my mind when looking at XFX cards back in the day! :)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
A lot have been said about Sapphire's coolers, but let me tell they are actually very good, if you are not after achieving very low temps like MSI's TF coolers or HIS IceQ coolers. Build quality is good and they OC really well. I reached 900/1325 on my 6950, with a little voltage bump and it was stable in games and benchmark. On load, temps rise only 1-2C over stock, whereas idle temps remain same. Of course, its colder now, but temps in summer with 850/1300 (stock volts) was more or less similar.

Plus Sapphire's bundle is pretty good, if anybody needs them, and you get a chance to enroll for Sapphire Select Club on select cards for additional goodies. ;)

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^Agreed. I have both XFX and Sapphire HD 6870; both are cheapest of the different HD 6870 models from the respective companies. I have checked that the Sapphire one is shorter and runs around 2 to 5 degree cooler than my XFX card.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
A lot have been said about Sapphire's coolers, but let me tell they are actually very good, if you are not after achieving very low temps like MSI's TF coolers or HIS IceQ coolers. Build quality is good and they OC really well. I reached 900/1325 on my 6950, with a little voltage bump and it was stable in games and benchmark. On load, temps rise only 1-2C over stock, whereas idle temps remain same. Of course, its colder now, but temps in summer with 850/1300 (stock volts) was more or less similar.

Plus Sapphire's bundle is pretty good, if anybody needs them, and you get a chance to enroll for Sapphire Select Club on select cards for additional goodies. ;)

what sapphire dual fan cooler for? :wink:

and nice oc skud.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Jas: that's a nice card although it has cut a few corners like lesser output options and just a single crossfire bridge.

But does it matter? I have heard in CFX setup dual bridges help in stability. Can anybody confirm?

Top Bottom