64 bit Intel PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajivnedungadi

In the zone
Can someone suggest me an Intel based 64 bit processor and a motherboard etc? What would be the price of the same. It would be great if a model number is suggested.

Last edited:

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
Every intel Processor from dual cores are 64Bit processor

Lowest is Intel dual core E5200 3.5K

Medium Core2Duo E7400 5.8K

Motherboard if u want to go with Intel then G33 chipset board for 3.2 K

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Practically all desktop processors on the market these days, whether Intel or AMD, are 64-bit.

Unless you tell us your budget and/or your intended use, it's not possible to make a meaningful suggestion. The performance and the price can vary by a ratio of more than 10:1. Same with the motherboard.

OP
rajivnedungadi

rajivnedungadi

In the zone
Every intel Processor from dual cores are 64Bit processor

Lowest is Intel dual core E5200 3.5K

Medium Core2Duo E7400 5.8K

Motherboard if u want to go with Intel then G33 chipset board for 3.2 K

Okay, so any Intel Dual Core is a 64 bit processor? That's what I wanted to know.

OP
rajivnedungadi

rajivnedungadi

In the zone
Practically all desktop processors on the market these days, whether Intel or AMD, are 64-bit.

Unless you tell us your budget and/or your intended use, it's not possible to make a meaningful suggestion. The performance and the price can vary by a ratio of more than 10:1. Same with the motherboard.

I need it basically to convert videos etc. Another thing is I need to use a 64 bit Linux OS on it. Also Can I install a 32 bit OS on to a 64 bit system?

I don't have a specific budget but a Motherboard and CPU together within 8000 would be a okay for me.

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
I need it basically to convert videos etc. Another thing is I need to use a 64 bit Linux OS on it. Also Can I install a 32 bit OS on to a 64 bit system?

I don't have a specific budget but a Motherboard and CPU together within 8000 would be a okay for me.

For converting Videos i would suggest AMD over intel anyday !!

BTW For 8000 CPU+Motherboard , u can AMD rig which much better than the INTEL

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
If you only need to convert videos then a nVidia GPU with CUDA might do the job better than any Intel/AMD CPU for 8k.
You might be better off using your current PC (provided it's not too old) and adding a nVidia GPU to do the transcoding for you.
I haven't ever used CUDA to accelerate CPU intensive tasks but provided you have the right software, the results can be pretty impressive.

OP
rajivnedungadi

rajivnedungadi

In the zone
If you only need to convert videos then a nVidia GPU with CUDA might do the job better than any Intel/AMD CPU for 8k.
You might be better off using your current PC (provided it's not too old) and adding a nVidia GPU to do the transcoding for you.
I haven't ever used CUDA to accelerate CPU intensive tasks but provided you have the right software, the results can be pretty impressive.

Well, I currently have 5 - 32 bit systems but I wanted a 64 bit system so that I can use 64 bit linux on it because I sell linux. Converting videos is just one of the things I would do on the 64 bit system.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent

Yes, you can use a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit hardware system.

An AMD X2 7750+ processor at around 3.5k should fall within your budget. There's a wide range of motherboards to choose from. Since you didn't mention gaming, I assume that's not on your priority list.

If you want to be able to download video files from a DV camera, an onboard Firewire (IEEE1394) will come in handy. The MSI K9N2GM-FIH is one such motherboard and will cost 4-4.5k. It has an NVidia 8200 graphics onboard. I also suggest at least 2GB RAM.

OP
rajivnedungadi

rajivnedungadi

In the zone
Isn't Linux free?

Linux is free, I just download it and distribute it cost to cost, just to recover my download cost, media cost, electricity cost (it sometimes takes days to download a DVD ISO), plus I sell it on ebay and ebay selling charges are too high and many other expenses. Its a service to people who are still on a dial up connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom