5.1 speakers for hostel around Rs. 7000

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Hey guys...
As the title suggests, I am on the lookout for 5.1 speakers for my hostel room.
I am quite a n00b when it comes to speakers and I don't know anything about them.
My sources will be:
1. Lenovo Ideapad Y500
2. Xperia Z1
3. iPod Touch 4g
4. iPad Mini

Now, my questions are:

1. Suggest some good models around Rs. 7000.

2. Will I have to buy a sound card to get true 5.1 surround sound??? I don't want all of the speakers to play the same sound. It should be like in the movies where different sounds come from different speakers. Kinda like you have stereo for 2.0/2.1 setups, I want the equivalent for my 5.1 setup.

3. Feel free to suggest or recommend anything.

Pardon my n00bishness in this field!!! :):):)

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
You have many choices so I am listing some of them.Ok.

Edifier M3500 5.1 -6500,
F&D F3000-F 5.1 -6300,
Logitech Z506 5.1 -6000.

Wait for other members opinions also...

OP
powerhoney

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Tagging some of you guys now: (Mods may remove if this is not allowed)

@rider [MENTION=82407]sandynator[/MENTION] @mayanksharma [MENTION=119314]Vignesh B[/MENTION] @coolest111 @Chaitanya @anirbandd @Nerevarine @hitesh @Hrishi @anupam_pb @bavusani [MENTION=119688]true_lies[/MENTION] [MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION] @harshilsharma63 @nikhilsharma007nikx @rachitboom2 [MENTION=115573]Sarath[/MENTION] @dashing.sujay @aniket.cain [MENTION=115573]Sarath[/MENTION] @Faun [MENTION=52329]tkin[/MENTION] @GhorMaanas

- - - Updated - - -

You have many choices so I am listing some of them.Ok.

Edifier M3500 5.1 -6500,
F&D F3000-F 5.1 -6300,
Logitech Z506 5.1 -6000.

Wait for other members opinions also...

Thanks for the suggestions...

Any idea about my other questions??? :)

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
2. Will I have to buy a sound card to get true 5.1 surround sound??? I don't want all of the speakers to play the same sound. It should be like in the movies where different sounds come from different speakers. Kinda like you have stereo for 2.0/2.1 setups, I want the equivalent for my 5.1 setup.

Pardon my n00bishness in this field!!! :):):)

No need for any separate sound card as on board sound is enough.

Vignesh B

Youngling
1. F&D F6000.
But I do recommend the Edifier DA5000 Pro, but it would be a tad above your budget.

2. Sound card for such low-mid range speakers might be an overkill. SOmething lile the Asus Xonar DX will set you back by another 6k. Output depends on the source. If the source is made for 2.1 system, the output will be the same, though some speakers(read Logitech) and some sound cards do support the virtualization technology which upscale 2.1 to 5.1 and so on. Though I find that gimmicky.

Btw if the speakers are for only music, a decent 2.1 system will make more sense. A 5.1 system is good only if you're going to watch plenty of movies that support 5.1 audio output.

OP
powerhoney

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
1. F&D F6000.
But I do recommend the Edifier DA5000 Pro, but it would be a tad above your budget.

2. Sound card for such low-mid range speakers might be an overkill. SOmething lile the Asus Xonar DX will set you back by another 6k. Output depends on the source. If the source is made for 2.1 system, the output will be the same, though some speakers(read Logitech) and some sound cards do support the virtualization technology which upscale 2.1 to 5.1 and so on. Though I find that gimmicky.

Btw if the speakers are for only music, a decent 2.1 system will make more sense. A 5.1 system is good only if you're going to watch plenty of movies that support 5.1 audio output.

Thanks for the info... The EdIfier one is a bit over my budget though...
I have mentioned my source as Lenovo Ideapad Y500, Xperia Z1, ipod and ipad mini...

I would be watching a lot of movies with 5.1 surround sound... So, does the y500 support 5.1 channel sound???

Vignesh B

Youngling
I have mentioned my source as Lenovo Ideapad Y500, Xperia Z1, ipod and ipad mini...
By source I meant the audio/video file, not the device.
Btw, my bad, I assumed a desktop motherboard and the 3 audio ports in that. :p
You may need to buy an external USB soundcard like Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB to obtain 5.1 audio output.
Y500 would support 5.1 audio if you use the HDMI out, but you would need a speaker set with the HDMI input.

Last edited:
OP
powerhoney

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
By source I meant the audio/video file, not the device.
Btw, my bad, I assumed a desktop motherboard and the 3 audio ports in that. :p
You may need to buy an external USB soundcard like Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB to obtain 5.1 audio output.
Y500 would support 5.1 audio if you use the HDMI out, but you would need a speaker set with the HDMI input.

Okay... So, seems like I will have to buy a sound card too...
The Creative one you mentioned is around 5-6k... Isn't there anything that is cheaper??? I saw one Asus Xonar Card and a Stellseries Siberia card which were relatively cheaper but I couldn't make out whether they support 5.1 sound...

The Steelseries one had something called 7.1 Virtual surround sound... What's that???

And, another question... How many audio ports are needed for 5.1??? 3 ports???:)

Nerevarine

Incarnate
you realise none of the sources will be able to output true 5.1 channel audio right ? for that you need an external soundcard
and yes 3 ports are needed for 5.1 surround

Vignesh B

Youngling
The Creative one you mentioned is around 5-6k... Isn't there anything that is cheaper??? I saw one Asus Xonar Card and a Stellseries Siberia card which were relatively cheaper but I couldn't make out whether they support 5.1 sound...

The Steelseries one had something called 7.1 Virtual surround sound... What's that???

And, another question... How many audio ports are needed for 5.1??? 3 ports???:)
Usually, they are not of optimum quality. Generally, a 5.1 supporting cad will mention it in its name only.
Virtual surround makes a headphone/speaker sound like as if the sound is coming from a 5.1 or a 7.1 set.
5.1 requires 3 ports - 1 for the front speakers, 1 for the rear ones and the last for the center and the sub-woofer.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
generally speaking, if you have an HDMI out, and if you can directly stream 5.1 or 7.1 sound from your movies to your speakers. but this means you must have a capable HT system with HDMI in.

but if you use mobile/ipod which use only 3.5mm port, then you will listen to stereo sound. then the onboard dsp will split the stereo channels into 5.1, which is not the way to listen to music, IMO.

PS: optical out also does the same, but the cables are damn costly.

OP
powerhoney

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
you realise none of the sources will be able to output true 5.1 channel audio right ? for that you need an external soundcard
and yes 3 ports are needed for 5.1 surround

Yeah, I realise that... I will maybe get a sound card too after a couple of months...

- - - Updated - - -

Usually, they are not of optimum quality. Generally, a 5.1 supporting cad will mention it in its name only.
Virtual surround makes a headphone/speaker sound like as if the sound is coming from a 5.1 or a 7.1 set.
5.1 requires 3 ports - 1 for the front speakers, 1 for the rear ones and the last for the center and the sub-woofer.

Okay, got it... I will be buying a sound card to a couple of months later...

Anyway, where do you suggest to buy the speakers from??? The Edifier one you quoted is not available on Flipkart...
Is theitdepot.com reliable???

- - - Updated - - -

generally speaking, if you have an HDMI out, and if you can directly stream 5.1 or 7.1 sound from your movies to your speakers. but this means you must have a capable HT system with HDMI in.

but if you use mobile/ipod which use only 3.5mm port, then you will listen to stereo sound. then the onboard dsp will split the stereo channels into 5.1, which is not the way to listen to music, IMO.

PS: optical out also does the same, but the cables are damn costly.

I won't be listening to much music on the speakers, anyway... They are mostly for the movies... :)

Any speakers around my budget with HDMI input???

Vignesh B

Youngling
Anyway, where do you suggest to buy the speakers from??? The Edifier one you quoted is not available on Flipkart...
Is theitdepot.com reliable???
Any speakers around my budget with HDMI input???
1. The IT depot is quite reliable. Have made plenty of purchases from them.
2. Can't find good ones in that range.

OP
powerhoney

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
1. The IT depot is quite reliable. Have made plenty of purchases from them.
2. Can't find good ones in that range.

Oh... Thats very good to know...
So, how is their packaging??? Considering they will be having to deliver from Chennai to my NIT in Silchar... :)

Confused between the Edifier and the F&D one now... :-?

Also, so many negative reviews of theitdepot.com!!!! :-( :-(

Vignesh B

Youngling
*www.digit.in/forum/shopping/145536-iii-online-shopping-discussion-post-your-feedback-queries.html
IT Depot has pretty good packaging(among the best in India). Even I had ordered the Z5500 from them.

Both are decent speaker sets. But if your budget allows go for the DA5000 Pro.

OP
powerhoney

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Okay, will be buying around last week of July anyway when college restarts so have got about 45 days to think about it...

Btw, which sound card do you use???
Is the creative one you mentioned the same as this one :-
Creative 70SB109500000 X-Fi External Sound Box - Newegg.com

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Edifier and F&D are both good VFM in that range. if you can give them an audition in a shop/friend's place.

OP
powerhoney

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Edifier and F&D are both good VFM in that range. if you can give them an audition in a shop/friend's place.

Will try to do that... The problem is that everything is available in the local shops in my city Guwahati... At competitive prices too... But, at my NIT, no decent local shop is there!!! :-( :-(
Also, most of the online shops don't ship there... :-(

Top Bottom