5.1 speakers for Gaming and Movies (Budget 10K)

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
[MENTION=120775]GhorMaanas[/MENTION]

I can't send you a PM as your inbox is full!!! :evil:

Quoting my reply in the following spoiler:

The satellite speakers are the exact same in every respect, be it the weight or the dimensions or the freaking internal circuitry!!! :p The manner in which you connect them to the rear panel of the main subwoofer decides which one becomes the front and which the rear speaker!!! In short, it was a pretty facepalm worthy question!!! :p :p

Btw, Never underestimate the power of honey!!!

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
@GhorMaanas

I can't send you a PM as your inbox is full!!! :evil:

Quoting my reply in the following spoiler:

The satellite speakers are the exact same in every respect, be it the weight or the dimensions or the freaking internal circuitry!!! :p The manner in which you connect them to the rear panel of the main subwoofer decides which one becomes the front and which the rear speaker!!! In short, it was a pretty facepalm worthy question!!! :p :p

Btw, Never underestimate the power of honey!!!

ohk! lol. yes, indeed a facepalm warranting question then! had read the same query on HFV and that got me stupefyingly perplexed! :D
hail madhu! glory be to madhushakti! :mrgreen:

BTW, the surround channel wattage is quite meek. try surround gain on them if you haven't. should give out better output then. me gonna try, esp. since the placement of my rear-spkrs is way higher than my ear-level!

and yeah the forum should've a notification for a full inbox!! :mad: :x

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
ohk! lol. yes, indeed a facepalm warranting question then! had read the same query on HFV and that got me stupefyingly perplexed! :D
hail madhu! glory be to madhushakti! :mrgreen:

BTW, the surround channel wattage is quite meek. try surround gain on them if you haven't. should give out better output then. me gonna try, esp. since the placement of my rear-spkrs is way higher than my ear-level!

and yeah the forum should've a notification for a full inbox!! :mad: :x

Yeah, I agree that a bit of amplification is required for optimal aural nirvana!!! :razz:

About the full inbox issue, maybe the mods could check into that!!! :)

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
@Badmash - any progress on the purchase? or there's still some time?

@powerhoney - re-installed my speakers (on new mounts) and listened to some body-cells thrilling music on them after a gap of 2 months y'day! reaffirmed my belief that the DA5K Pro are musical speakers, more than being 'mini home-theatre' speakers as advertised! simply exhilarating! :mrgreen: (listen to HQ versions of 'magnetized' from johnny hates jazz, 'the refugee' from tom petty and the heartbreakers, 'break it down again' & 'raoul & the kings of spain' from tears & fears, & 'fandangu los llobos' & 'busindre reel' from Hevia, and uplift your spirits with the good music and superb output from DA; listening to files with bitrate below 320k is strictly prohibited! :D )

Last edited:
OP
B

Badmash

Journeyman
[MENTION=120775]GhorMaanas[/MENTION]

Hey bro! Got F6000 from local market at 7K finally. But having 1 problem. There are 2 modes a) Normal b) Prologic
Now i connected the system with 3 wires i.e 3.5 mm to RCA(2) to my onboard 8 channel sound card. When i use the speaker system on NORMAL i get the surround sound but the bass is really really low (like bass normalization feature turned on) But when i shift to PROLOGIC then the bass in thunderous and it turns the sound to 5.1 from 2 channel.
Another problem is when i am already using the 6 channel bluray movies or even audio songs why i am not getting the bass that PROLOGIC mode is giving?? HELP PLZ !! :(

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
congrats on the purchase!
am guessing your onboard audio-processor is realtek, and you are using its software?
how is the surround sound in 'normal' mode as compared to PL, apart from the bass?
prologic would simulate 5/6 channels bitstreams to a good degree, and hence the output. you should use prologic mode only while gaming/watching movies with 5.1 audio.

do one thing. play a few songs on the speakers in 'normal' mode, and check if there's any output from speakers other than the front and right ones, and also, how is the bass output.
also, please post an image of the front of the sub, esp. the top part where the controls are, and a pic of the remote too.

p.s. - nevermind the above. leave them. only play a few songs on 'normal' mode and let me know how is the output.

Last edited:
OP
B

Badmash

Journeyman
Sorry if am talking stupid but did you say that i should use prologic with games and movies that are already 6 channel? Isnt prologic meant to use with 2 channel to get 6 channel sound? **confused**

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
although its not needed, but since you are getting a much bigger bass output in the prologic mode is why you could continue using the PL mode. prologic decoding is neither discrete nor precise. it usually fills the audio track with continuous/consistent low frequency (even in scenes where it shouldn't have been prominent, like people talking, birds flying, etc.), whereas in the normal mode (ie, am talking about digital decoding), the sound output is discrete and precise, and bass is prominent only where its meant to be (big dramatic background sound effect, explosions, etc.). although i rarely watch movies on my HT speakers connected to my PC, but on the ones that are connected to my TV and media player, i've found that they reproduce a far better output in every way, if the source is having a DD 5.1 or DTS-HD kind of sound-encoding, than a simple stereo encode, although i can only use 2RCA (stereo) as input to the HT (this is truer when a DVD is used as a source). this may be perhaps because dolby digital more-or-less retains its sharpness after decode. though this shouldn't concern you, as you are using your speakers with your PC. now am not sure, but what may be happening in your speaker's 'normal' mode is that your onboard audio-processor might be decoding the digitally encoded audio-source (the pro logic decoder of the HT being bypassed), and the sound is then fed to the various channels (these can't be directly fed as they are discrete digital sound-channels, and will have to decoded for analog use). hence in this case, the bass output may be close to how it was meant to be actually, and not synthesised like how pro logic does it.

check the review of f6000 from the link that i had posted earlier in this thread. i re-read it, and found the reviewer telling that in the surround sound mode (which could be the 'normal' mode), he found the bass to be feeble. may be its a defect/property inherent to this system, or perhaps requires some tweaking. do one thing. if you can, get a DVD of the movie 'master and commander' (much recommended), else, a blu ray disc, or even if not that, then may be a *ahem*. this movie has terrific surround effects, but only at the right places, in the right amounts. play this in a software like powerdvd, and check how's the bass response in the first skirmish that takes place after the movie begins (cannon-sounds and explosion-effects and all). also, in the meanwhile, do post a few screens of what settings you are using in your realtek sound manager software, and your video player of choice. may help. and yes, does the manual mention anything about pro logic, whether is pro logic I or II? should be II, as I has become almost obsolete now, and II's better.

and nothing stupid in it. its quite confusing and complicated, and people who seem to know their way in this territory also usually don't agree on one topic or the other. and we are only sitting and speculating on this from atop a fence on its border. ;)

Last edited:
OP
B

Badmash

Journeyman
Hmmm it just says Normal and Prologic on the subwoofer LED panel. But i think when i use normal mode and content is 6 channel its not room shaking but okiesh bass (played Avengers bluray DTS 6 channel) and turning Prologic on it vibrates my bed, windows, even the ground floor (yes i am on 1st floor) but surround effects are not that good as it tends to give equal sound from all speakers not like in surround as it should be where front speakers gives the main sounds with center acting for dialogues and rear ones only for affects when required. This was for the movies and now for the music (mp3 stereo). Normal mode here gives almost ZERO bass .. but turning on Prologic its again thunderous giving an earthquake affect to my whole duplex house.

I will also try to get the movie you mentioned and let you know but now what i am concerned about is, do you think getting a sound card would give much better output and surround affects? If yes, then what should i get? 1. Asus Xonar Dx 2. Asus Xonar d2x 3. Creative SB Z ????

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
exactly! prologic would still try to matrix the source audio-tracks i think, and hence you don't get the surround sound as it was meant. after all, its simulation at best. prologic would try to extract/image the surround-tracks from the front L and R itself (some sounds), and put them to your rear channels. so in effect, what you would get to hear is some sounds that you are hearing clearer in the front channels, accompanied by a few more sounds, dialogues, sound-fx, all these in the rear. gets muddy! so on a better receiver and speakers, where you would have, say an aeroplane flying above in a scene in a movie, you would hear its sound coming in from your rear L and going to rear R, on prologic and such decoder-receivers/speakers, you would hear kind of flat sound, ie, parts of the sound here and there (on different channels), or the same sound coming from both the rear speakers (or even from all of them, except the center one), like you are hearing now. to top it, i guess the F6000 is adding oodles of unnecessary bass in the sound, that muddies other frequencies.

without knowing what settings you are using on realtek audio manager and your video-player, it would be difficult to tell how to tweak the 'normal' mode output. still, try to increase the volume while listening to MP3s and then tell how is the bass? also, don't the speakers have modes like music, movie, game, etc., and separate volume control for each channel? atleast it should have the latter. try tweaking those. a sound card should definitely improve the sound and also help gain output, but IMO let's first try to test/optimise settings on your onboard audio-processor itself.

P.S. - for movies, try a DVD having Dolby Digital 5.1 audio-track. DD5.1 is still considered to be an industry-standard in surround sound by some, and i personally like to hear this more than DTS. am sure you would also be able to discern some difference between the two upon listening.

OP
B

Badmash

Journeyman
Ok tested them for few hours again, now for music keeping the normal mode, choosing music settings from the speaker remote and turning on Bass Optimization from realtec settings, BASS is is like 20% now when compared to 5% earlier (If prologic bass is 100%). Even increased the volume, bass increased but again not as thunderous as pro logic gives.

Now for movies, choosing normal mode and movies mode from the remote settings with Bass optimization ON from realtec the bass output is good, i would say okiesh for movies BUT not thunderous as in prologic (which might be too much for few people) but concern is why so much difference in bass. Prologic mode should give 6 channel output from 2 channel and not the bass thing.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
prologic tends to make the sound louder to maintain high fidelity. why is the bass significantly higher could be due to that, but am not sure. [MENTION=123683]robotsmani[/MENTION] has recently acquired the same speakers. just compare and discuss with him about the sound-output.

robotsmani

Journeyman
Yes. Got the speakers from Ebay for 6.8+k after applying 10% coupons.
[MENTION=132887]Badmash[/MENTION]
Nothing to worry about the BASS. The speaker is doing its great job. The culprit may be the encoding which your movie file contain or the media player which you are using.

After lot of Test even i felt there is no bass from the speaker. The moment i installed the foobar for music and mpc-hc/pot player(Suggested from the other Forum, [MENTION=120775]GhorMaanas[/MENTION] you only, right?), wow the bass value increased. There is a option for audio and can check which encoding is movie contains(AC3, 5.1 DTS, etc).

Currently i am in the process of setting the speakers to the Wall. Ordered some wall mounts which yet to come.

Install the mpc-hc/pot players, if you are not and check the difference.

Hope this helps you...

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Yes. Got the speakers from Ebay for 6.8+k after applying 10% coupons.
@Badmash
Nothing to worry about the BASS. The speaker is doing its great job. The culprit may be the encoding which your movie file contain or the media player which you are using.

After lot of Test even i felt there is no bass from the speaker. The moment i installed the foobar for music and mpc-hc/pot player(Suggested from the other Forum, @GhorMaanas you only, right?), wow the bass value increased. There is a option for audio and can check which encoding is movie contains(AC3, 5.1 DTS, etc).

Currently i am in the process of setting the speakers to the Wall. Ordered some wall mounts which yet to come.

Install the mpc-hc/pot players, if you are not and check the difference.

Hope this helps you...

yes, identified me correct! glad to know that you have finally found the optimum settings for your set-up! now just install the mounts and the speakers on them, and test for & then settle yourself at the sweet spot!
@Badmash - you may try xbmc too. although i haven't used it ever, but i know a lot many people who have been using it since years and are very satisfied by it. after some initial non-complex set-up, am sure you can find the optimum output with that as well. HTH, effectively! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom