5.1 speakers for Gaming and Movies (Budget 10K)

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
The SCS 200.5 s are excellent set of speakers for the money but somehow I feel they will sound better with a Onkyo, avr. Why I'm saying so is because,the subwoofer had a better Q slope and ( nitpicking ) the highs that sounded a bit rolled off to me , not a bad thing since most movies are recorded hell bright, sounded a bit more energetic and had a bit more of the lost definition with a Onkyo receiver.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
The SCS 200.5 s are excellent set of speakers for the money but somehow I feel they will sound better with a Onkyo, avr. Why I'm saying so is because,the subwoofer had a better Q slope and ( nitpicking ) the highs that sounded a bit rolled off to me , not a bad thing since most movies are recorded hell bright, sounded a bit more energetic and had a bit more of the lost definition with a Onkyo receiver.

never had onkyo as an option. the passive subwoofer + supposedly not-so-good performance in music were the reasons it was not considered. let's wait for his impressions post the audition.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
The JBL SCS 200.5 has an active subwoofer. Im talking about an Onkyo AV Receiver to be connected to the JBL 5.1 and not suggesting any Onkyo package. Its not that all Onkyos have bad Stereo sound. In fact all AVRs have bad stereo they only differ in final sound signatures. Onkyo has excellent AVR and Stereo amps , they work with Apogee and BAT ( Balanced Amplifier Technology) for their Integra series, so its not as bad as press has made it out to be.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
ok yes i forgot the discussion is only about the AVR!
but i had read that upgrading speakers/sub isn't possible in HTS-3400/3500, and didn't know about any other models. but anyway, the OP is going for RX-V377 or RX-V475, coupled with JBL Cinema 300 for speakers. has auditioned the former AVR model with JBL SCS 200.5, and had separately auditioned the JBL Cinema 300 earlier.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Yamaha has a warm/laidback sound signature and JBL SCS200.5 has rolled of highs so its exactly here where you need an exciting AVR and hence an Onkyo.

Last edited:
OP
B

Badmash

Journeyman
[MENTION=146621]The Incinerator[/MENTION], thanks for the input and as Ghormaanas said most probably Yamaha 377 or 475 with JBL Cinema 300 speakers as after auditioning i found cinema 300 better than scs 200.5. And about onkyo, availability is again a concern.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
That's an awesome price. But your choice of AVR of Yamaha is completely wrong as long as final sound and system matching is concerned. For those JBL speaker the best AVR is an Onkyo,in fact JBLs sound best with Onkyos over Yamaha, Denon or Pioneer.I myself own a Denon and an Yamaha as Stereo and AVR respectively but still won't suggest you either.JBL synergy and harmonics matches best with that if an Onkyo. That's my two cents, rest is up to you.

OP
B

Badmash

Journeyman
Onkyo service here is the worst that's why i never considered Onkyo. Even Marantz, Denon have service issues here. Only Yamaha is reliable and spending so much if any problem persists it would be pain in the ass to get service from onkyo. :/

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Among all the 4 big japs Denon Yamaha Onkyo & Pioneer ( pioneer is owned by onkyo now) , only Onkyo has the best service in India, followed by Pioneer. Don't believe the Dealer. Onkyo is the only company who operates directly and not through Importers. Denon is taken care of by KEI previously ProFx and Yamaha by ( Savoy) . Onkyo is managed by Onkyo India ( the parent company itself) and in all these years of my AV experience it is the only company who is serious about its operations in India and thus operates directly. I'm not saying others are bad but you know its always better when the company itself is here to operate. You have a ear for your complain. One eg, I had lost my Demon PMA 1500 AE s remote,I went to ProFX Kolkata (Denons Importer/Service) they charged me Rs 15K !!!! Can you imagine,its like take it or go $%&# yourself. Its a mail to Demon UK/Japan that helped me out.

Last edited:

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Its nothing to be confused about , just get what sounds right. I'm just suggesting what is right or wrong. All the receivers will sound good but its the best that we crave hence I'm sharing my knowledge. In this world of audio the most difficult task is system matching/after sales and then comes the room where it will be installed. Reviewers/ Dealers are all non issue and only for reference actual ownership experience and your own ears is supreme.

Go to Delhi. Listen to em all , its just a days work,who knows you might come up with something even better and enlighten us.

Onkyo website is having a clearance sale , look for it.

OP
B

Badmash

Journeyman
Thanks bro, but i guess its too late as i have already deposited the token amount with Yamaha lol so when i make the full payment i get the delivery on the spot.

OP
B

Badmash

Journeyman
Tbh didn't test onkyo. But i liked yamaha and JBL combo so decided to go for it keep in mind the service too xD

Top Bottom