3G iPhone announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
Cooooooool

but fooooool if phone is 200$ then everyone will buy it, No Exclusivity, in which case why at all buy the iphone except for its touch ! LOL !!

Sounds a cheap gift .....!

And leave the unlocking to the Experts. It will get f*cked even if Albert Einstein himself designed the EROM and security.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Yes, but there’s little point to it, now that you cannot buy it without the two-year contract. Getting out of it is too damned costly, so unlocking is pretty useless now.

Please read this ( I had posted this in one of my earlier posts which you obviously missed)

*www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/0...elopers_to_charge_for_would_be_free_apps.html*store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=MTE2NTQ
Oh, I don’t need the Digit forum’s help to know about these articles. I happen to be quite well connected in the Apple community.

However, as a general rule of thumb, journalists in the Apple community do not take anything published on AppleInsider and MacRumors seriously. The information on these sites is less citable than a wiki.

I’m sorry, but I won’t believe that until I see some concrete proof.

Pat

Beyond Smart
^^ I dont care if you believe it or not, what I do care is that apple should not be doing this (yes, I do believe this article is true)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
What is the real use of 3G when

1) You can't download music over 3G network (iTMS)
2) You can't do a video chat (phones cam can't record video)
2) You can't send MMS

Having a 3G only for browsing is too underimplementation of 3G.

Pathik

Google Bot
^^ I dont care if you believe it or not, what I do care is that apple should not be doing this (yes, I do believe this article is true)
If they do FORCE them, then it sucks. But the article says that they are just ENCOURAGING them to charge. It's not a compulsion.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
What is the real use of 3G when

1) You can't download music over 3G network (iTMS)
2) You can't do a video chat (phones cam can't record video)
2) You can't send MMS

Having a 3G only for browsing is too underimplementation of 3G.
1. You can’t download music over the 3G network because the carrier won’t allow that. There’s little Apple or any other handset maker can do about that.

2. When the leaked features of the iPhone popped up a few days ago, a front-mounted video conferencing camera was one of them. I was wondering what use it would be of to me at the time and I honestly could not come up with a single one.

(a) Video conferencing is overrated anyway. The few times I do it on my Mac is just for novelty’s sake. In our busy schedules, it’s just not feasible to vest your entire concentration into chatting with some person, because we all know it’s pretty difficult (if at all possible) to get anything done while video conferencing with someone; (b) You can’t do it unless you’re sitting somewhere and have time on your hands. I don’t know about you but if I’m going somewhere and I know I’m going to have time enough on my hands to sit and video chat, I’ll prefer to carry my notebook along; and (c) When I’m in my home, I wouldn’t use the phone if I wanted to video chat.

IMHO, it would be just a useless (and probably unsightly) addition to the otherwise very functional and clean front face of the iPhone, just like it is on every other 3G phone I’ve ever seen. I’ve actually come to admire this quality of the company—they recognise the futility of features taken for granted in the market and aren’t afraid to buck the trend by leaving them out, the status quo be damned.

3. MMS. LOL! :lol: Never knew any of my phones had it, never felt the need for it and never bothered with it. When you’re on an iPhone, a device with full and unlimited access to the Internet in various ways, the last thing you’ll bother with is sending an MMS. When Preshit shot a funny picture of Milind in Inorbit Mall and all of us wanted it too, he just dispatched it to us via email and we received it in a matter of seconds, thank you very much. You want MMS? The nineteenth century is waiting for you, please feel free to revisit it.

You can upload photos over 3G, synchronise your contacts, calendar and email, watch YouTube videos, use Google Maps and GPS, get stock and weather updates, download applications from the App Store and browse the Internet. Not to mention the fact that almost all (99%) third party applications will be able to access the Internet over the 3G network.

It hardly sounds like an “underimplementation” [sic] to me. Of course, the fact that there is no 3G connectivity to speak of in our country is another story altogether.

BTW, is it true that the phone can only be activated at ATT store and can't be done online?
Yes, that’s how subsidisation works. The price of $199 sounds cheap on the face of it but, over the period of two years, it actually ends up being more expensive.

People were grumbling when Jobs declined to go the subsidising route and made customers pay more upfront. And now they are happy, even though they are paying more. Customer knows best, right? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
you may not use MMS but I get 30 free MMS every month with my vodfone subscription. I do sent photos taken and few funny vidoes over Vodafone's EDGE. For many, it's a definite advantage. You need not login to a site everytime you want to share phone. attach photo to MMS and done!!!

I wonder. Steve Jobs never said that iphone 3G doens't support MMS. May be, it would now :)

From the snapshot that was shown by Steve and from the pic at *apple.com/iphone there was no front mounted camera.

btw, 3G is coming to India by the end of this year, which means that it's not a different story :)

You may think that MMS is of 19th century but there are lot of people using MMS. Not everyone uses iphone and not everyone has 3" display to browse internet. The way that you think is so onesided that you never ever think of the common man and a group. really bad.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
You need not login to a site everytime you want to share phone.
You log into a website to check your email? Really? Well, that explains it. You really are living in the previous century.

I wonder. Steve Jobs never said that iphone 3G doens't support MMS. May be, it would now :)
Trust me on this, there is absolutely no chance of MMS ever surfacing on the iPhone… at least officially.

btw, 3G is coming to India by the end of this year, which means that it's not a different story :)
Yeah, I’ve been hearing the same story every year for the past several years. Almost every Jan-Feb issue of Digit every year used to have an article about how 3G was slated to be released by the end of the year. So I’ll believe it when I see it now.

The way that you think is so onesided that you never ever think of the common man and a group.
Yes, I do not. When I buy a phone for myself, it is my own convenience and usability that comes first and foremost. Furthermore, no one has ever offered to send me an MMS. If someone does, I’ll tell them to dispatch an email instead (which will automatically and immediately be pushed to the email application on both my iPhone and Mac and I won’t need to log into any website). If they don’t, they can keep their funny picture/video to themselves.

This is not vainness, it’s practicality. In the age of email, you’re running around sending MMS. It just doesn’t make any sense to me at all.

I don’t know whether you intend to purchase an iPhone or not but I’m sure that if you do one day, you’ll have a whole new outlook. You’ll laugh at the fact that you ever thought MMS was important to you. I promise you this. :)

(Please read my opinion as one of a person using an iPhone and dishing out practical advice. I’m not self-centered; I’m just confident that my opinion is the right one. :p)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
1. You can’t download music over the 3G network because the carrier won’t allow that. There’s little Apple or any other handset maker can do about that.

You can do it. Nokia has there own music store using which U can download any song over any EDE/3G/GPRS network from there store.

2. When the leaked features of the iPhone popped up a few days ago, a front-mounted video conferencing camera was one of them. I was wondering what use it would be of to me at the time and I honestly could not come up with a single one.

U don't do 3G Video conferencing, I do. There is a reason Nokia N82 (example) has a front camera
(a) Video conferencing is overrated anyway. The few times I do it on my Mac is just for novelty’s sake. In our busy schedules, it’s just not feasible to vest your entire concentration into chatting with some person, because we all know it’s pretty difficult (if at all possible) to get anything done while video conferencing with someone; (b) You can’t do it unless you’re sitting somewhere and have time on your hands. I don’t know about you but if I’m going somewhere and I know I’m going to have time enough on my hands to sit and video chat, I’ll prefer to carry my notebook along; and (c) When I’m in my home, I wouldn’t use the phone if I wanted to video chat.

u won't, other users will. Ever heard of Windows Live meeting & how easy it is to collaborate using it. Oh, wait...it's not available on a Mac :D

3. MMS. LOL! :lol: Never knew any of my phones had it, never felt the need for it and never bothered with it. When you’re on an iPhone, a device with full and unlimited access to the Internet in various ways, the last thing you’ll bother with is sending an MMS.

I have full & unlimited Idea GPRS on my K750i but my sister uses paid BSNL GPRS, so instead of mailing her a 2 mp file of 500 KB, I MMSed her a 320X240 image in just 20 kb. That's saving bandwidth.

E-Mail requirs Internet, MMS doesn't.

goobimama

 Macboy
U don't do 3G Video conferencing, I do.
HOOWWWWW! We don't even have 3G in India!

Getting the iPhone without internet is seriously silly. There's no point in getting it that way actually cause internet is one of its strong points.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
You can do it. Nokia has there own music store using which U can download any song over any EDE/3G/GPRS network from there store.

U don't do 3G Video conferencing, I do. There is a reason Nokia N82 (example) has a front camera

u won't, other users will. Ever heard of Windows Live meeting & how easy it is to collaborate using it. Oh, wait...it's not available on a Mac :D

I have full & unlimited Idea GPRS on my K750i but my sister uses paid BSNL GPRS, so instead of mailing her a 2 mp file of 500 KB, I MMSed her a 320X240 image in just 20 kb. That's saving bandwidth.

Totally agree with what you say.

You know, some people obviosly doesn't know about CHOICE and OPTIONS. :)
They think that whatever that is not available is not necessary. "Frog in well" :)

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
I remember that everyone said, who needs 3G, we don't have it in India. It's not needed. The damn thing will soak out a lot of battery. Who needs it.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
You log into a website to check your email? Really? Well, that explains it. You really are living in the previous century.

And what about you? :)

Yeah, I’ve been hearing the same story every year for the past several years. Almost every Jan-Feb issue of Digit every year used to have an article about how 3G was slated to be released by the end of the year. So I’ll believe it when I see it now.

come out of the illustion dude.. Spectrum was sold, announced officially.

Yes, I do not. When I buy a phone for myself, it is my own convenience and usability that comes first and foremost. Furthermore, no one has ever offered to send me an MMS. If someone does, I’ll tell them to dispatch an email instead (which will automatically and immediately be pushed to the email application on both my iPhone and Mac and I won’t need to log into any website). If they don’t, they can keep their funny picture/video to themselves.

This is not vainness, it’s practicality. In the age of email, you’re running around sending MMS. It just doesn’t make any sense to me at all.
Obviously, you don't know about having options and choice coz of course, you are a fanboy and you get only what they provide. I really really pity you fanboys.

I don’t know whether you intend to purchase an iPhone or not but I’m sure that if you do one day, you’ll have a whole new outlook. You’ll laugh at the fact that you ever thought MMS was important to you. I promise you this. :)

Bought ipod thinking the same and still I am against it and still advise others to get Cowon's and Creative's.

That is becuase we non-apple-fanboys live in a world of reality and you apple-fanboys live in a world of illusion, an illusion and deception created by Steve Jobs. We do consider buying Apple products only if they meet our requirement and you are made to feel that they always meet your requirement.

You think it as a 19the century thought or 29th century thought. In our world, It's called reality.

goobimama

 Macboy
^^ Well it does soak up the battery. Almost half of the normal 2G in fact. Thank god they have made it easy to turn it off. But you will notice that the battery life in most areas has been boosted, allowing 5 hours of usage on 3G. If 3G was implemented earlier, it would have been 3 hours of 3G usage so that would have made a difference...

i am so happy for everyone who will be getting an iphone once it comes out here .. i just hope because of all this the prices of high end nokia phones come down .. :)

i will be getting a nokia or sony ericsson as soon as iphone comes out .

i am not against iphone as such , it seems good . but i dont get it why you people give it soo much importance.theres so many thread on iphone here.definitely not worth this much hype.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
^^ Well it does soak up the battery. Almost half of the normal 2G in fact. Thank god they have made it easy to turn it off. But you will notice that the battery life in most areas has been boosted, allowing 5 hours of usage on 3G. If 3G was implemented earlier, it would have been 3 hours of 3G usage so that would have made a difference...
You can turn off 3G, but it’s by no means “easy”. It’s buried deep within the settings, actually. So, most of the time, you’ll either have it off or on. Apple wants you to leave in on.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@@net_addict

Illusion: iphone available for $199
Reality: Watch out for heavy rentals and call charges :)

UK Vodafone give N95 for FREE if you opt for 75pound per month rental.

in that pack, you get 600 minutes v-v free talktime, unlimited messages.

If you think that it's excellent that they are giving N95 for free, think again.

75 pounds per month rental is insanely high. There are lot of plans with 15p per month rental that come with decent phones like K750i etc.

Last edited:
desibond said:
That is becuase we non-apple-fanboys live in a world of reality and you apple-fanboys live in a world of illusion, an illusion and deception created by Steve Jobs. We do consider buying Apple products only if they meet our requirement and you are made to feel that they always meet your requirement.

You think it as a 19the century thought or 29th century thought. In our world, It's called reality.
100% agreed, though with some modifications. I personally feel that there its completely wrong to judge a product by its reputation, brand, looks or by the fact that the judger is a big fan of that brand.

We reality seekers laugh at some people like you who often go to absolutely any lengths to defend a product.

While I agree that a 200$ iPhone with 8GB is moderately OK in Value For Money, I still feel 2 years worth of subscription is definitely not it. Indians are not used to US, where its 99% impossible to buy a SIM and use it for a month and then shift to something else. There, the ONLY way to get a subscription is by making atleast an year's subscription and sign a contract for doing the same. This in many ways beats the perpose of having an iPhone being considered as a "People's Phone".

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^ You know what is more intersting for me. The after effects. How many manufacturers, will open up with subsidised pricing in India.

I hope that SE ties up with Vodafone/Airtel and gives Vodafone UK style contracts :)

eg: for 50pound one off payment, I get SE K850i. monthly rental of 20 pounds and an 18 month contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom