24GB of RAM not showing up. Only 16GB shown.

OP
nakulvit

nakulvit

Broken In
Highly probable what Acewin, is saying is correct. You motherboard supports 800/1066/1333/1600/1800/2133 RAM speed, and your XMS3's are 1600 CL9s. You can do this...before sending for RMA -- figure out what to send for RMA.

1. Try all your DIMMs one-by-one on another DDR3 board. Just plug them in the first slot and see that the computer boots fine. Painful to do 6x times but will help. If you catch the bad DIMM here then the board is fine.

2. Try to load your board DIMM docks with the same color. Fill only BLUE or fill only BLACK and check.

Let us know.

you need your mobo checked DIMM slots not working properly is inference you got use that inference for RMA of motherboard whatever you do if the 2 DIMM slots have gone dead they wont come up alive.

THANKS A LOT GUYS! Turns out it was a faulty motherboard. There were some bent pins in the socket. The dealer gave me a UD7 instead and it works perfectly! :D

2TB x 11 HDD?

Which cabinet?

I have
1. 1xWorkstation of said config. (8.5 TB)
2. 2xRender Nodes with AMD 1090T's and 12Gigs of RAM (500GB each)
3. One storage server with 8.5TB
4. A couple of externals all amounting to 22TB

you game on that setup? how many monitors are driven by the monster card?

As of now i only have one. A Dell Ultrasharp U2410. Will upgrade to either a 27 or a 30 soon. It's relatively new.. The only game i've played so far is Assassin's Creed 2. Pretty smooth! What new games do you suggest?

24gb Ram, i7 980x :shock:....if you don't mind me asking ...how much do you earn buddy?:-o

Well, i just kinda started my own business. So i had to take a loan out for all of this. But the projected earnings will let me pay back the loan in less than a year. And maybe let me get a few upgrades as well. :razz:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
As of now i only have one. A Dell Ultrasharp U2410. Will upgrade to either a 27 or a 30 soon. It's relatively new.. The only game i've played so far is Assassin's Creed 2. Pretty smooth! What new games do you suggest?

or can try 2-3 monitor setup. that will be cheap (in your words) & will get more display area.

any game you like, just install, turn everything to max & enjoy. BTW when you brought that GTX580?

I think some pics would be good ;-)

+1. want see such a setup. exterior as well as the internal parts.

OP
nakulvit

nakulvit

Broken In
Lol!! Sure! I am looking for a camera worthy of this mighty build. My E63 wouldn't be sufficient.. :mrgreen:
But yes. Pictures are very much in demand on Facebook too.
BTW when you brought that GTX580?
About a week back.

iinfi

mekalodu
Yes. Windows 7 Ultimate x64

For the rest of your queries, i'm a freelance post-producer for videos. So i do a lot of animation, rendering and editing.

What do u use in windows 7 for ur animation and editing. i v seen quite a few animation fellows using only Mac and running away from Windows. I am not into animation n stuff, but i find it pretty strange that u use Win7. i v never worked on Mac TBH. But i wud like to know what makes Mac a good choice for animation and video editing people. Could u plz throw more light on this.

OP
nakulvit

nakulvit

Broken In
What do u use in windows 7 for ur animation and editing. i v seen quite a few animation fellows using only Mac and running away from Windows. I am not into animation n stuff, but i find it pretty strange that u use Win7. i v never worked on Mac TBH. But i wud like to know what makes Mac a good choice for animation and video editing people. Could u plz throw more light on this.

Well, there are a couple of reasons.

SOFTWARE:
All the software that one would use for multimedia (In the broader sense. Including editing, post production, animation, design) is available on Windows as well. So, it doesn't really have any exclusivity on that front. There are a few softwares (FCP, Shake etc..) which are exclusive to the mac but if you don't work with these, then it doesn't really make sense to spend a bomb on a mac.. that brings me to my next point.

HARDWARE:
The amount of customization and hardware options available on a PC are FAR more than what's available for a mac. Not to mention the prices. A fully loaded Mac pro would set one back by atleast 7-8 Lakh. Something similar on a PC would cost you 4-5 Lakh which you are free to upgrade as and when you like. You're not limited to what Apple decides to release and when.

Well.. That's just my 0.02... Anybody has anything to add?

iinfi

mekalodu
@nakulvit

thanks for your reply. jus curious to know. wats the cost of ur config?
have u specified any swap/virtual memory explicitly or have u chosen "allow windows to manage my virtual memory paging file"
any idea about the best practices to set a virtual memory paging file size on a system like yours? i mean a system where u run a animation n stuff

nbaztec

Master KOD3R
At first I thought someone messed up 2x4 to 24. To my utter disbelief after reading, I could only say : W-T-F!
Our (loathing)PC's might appeal as Mobile Phones to you!
And I won't even get started on when you talked of upgrading!

P.S. : Notice the Exclamations to sense my amazement (+ some jealousy). :p

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Bumping this for a good reason. I encountered/heard such issues so if anyone gets anyone with such issue, just use these steps for power cycling:
Localize the issue- hardware or OS: You first need to know what is the issue so that accordingly you can go ahead. As far as windows 7 32 bit is concerned, it detects upto 4gigs. First check in your BIOS whether the ram gets detected properly as it should. If it does, its not the issue of the hardware, rather the 32bit OS is simply not detecting anything more than 4gigs. If it does not, move on.

Contact between the socket and the processor: The memory controller is built in the processor and hence the motherboard plays a small role as far as memory control is concerned. Improper installation of the CPU is one of the causes for this. The reason is that it could be that the CPU is not secured properly or if the CPU heatsink and the secure mechanism is not secured properly against the board to keep the processor to have a necessary contact with the socket pins. At the same time, take extra care when installing the processor and the heatsink. Check if all the pins on the LGA 1366 socket is not bent. If its bent, best if you don't fix it yourself as improper work could result to a fatal damage, resulting not only damaging the board but also the processor. There were some boards that despite the fact the heatsink and the secure mechanism is secured properly but there are some issues so in such cases, RMA is inevitable.

Voltage/XMP issue on the BIOS: Other than turning on/off the XMP and setting the Dram voltage to the specs mentioned on the ram, you can try bumping QPI/DRAM voltage to 1.25v. If you've gone the 12 gigs way, bump the QPI/DRAM to about 1.35v. Also try BIOS update as well it might solve the issue for you. This is common especially on older gen/Rev version (Some newer rev versions are not necessaily will fix the issue) x58 boards being paired with newer ram kits.

BTW, x58 chipsets comes with 36 PCIE lanes. USB 3.0 and SATA 3 uses 6. If you're crossfiiring and using usb 3.0+ Sata 3, x58 is the way to go. I think there would be some boards with USB 3.0 headers but I am not too sure (and I don't think but again- not sure) if it uses those pcie lanes.

Last edited:
OP
nakulvit

nakulvit

Broken In
Bumping this for a good reason. I encountered/heard such issues so if anyone gets anyone with such issue, just use these steps for power cycling:

BTW, x58 chipsets comes with 36 PCIE lanes. USB 3.0 and SATA 3 uses 6. If you're crossfiiring and using usb 3.0+ Sata 3, x58 is the way to go. I think there would be some boards with USB 3.0 headers but I am not too sure (and I don't think but again- not sure) if it uses those pcie lanes.

Thank you for that! :smile:

My problem was bent socket pins. Dealer was kind enough to replace it with a UD-7.

Top Bottom