1Mbps baby!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
bsnl provides 512KBps and airtel is not providing 1MBps but only 1mbps, AFAIK.

what's the download speeds you get in torrents or from general downloading?

I'm sure that it will be less than150kbps(1204/8=150)

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@vamsi, highest speed that bsnl gives for home connection is 2Mbps. 512KBps is like 4096Kbps or 4Mbps and for corporate, it's 8Mbps.

I get 120KBps download speed and not 15kbps.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
bsnl provides 512KBps and airtel is not providing 1MBps but only 1mbps, AFAIK.

what's the download speeds you get in torrents or from general downloading?

I'm sure that it will be less than150kbps(1204/8=150)

:lol:
Dude BSNL Provies 512 Kbps Not KB/s which would equate to ~ 64KB/s while Airtel giving 1 Mbps ~ 128 KB/s. Clearly Airtel is ze winner here.
And this is coming from a person who actually doesn't like Airtel.

amohit

Broken In
Not true.
Their d/l cap is user friendly. aftr a certain limit they would slash ur bandwidth half.
Means 1Mbps connection would become 512Kbps unlimited as soon as u reach 150GB d/l.

I was referring to these
*www.airtel.in/experience/

Clearly mentions no data transfer limits!

Airtel is bullsh!t. BSNL is providing 512KBps for 1300+taxes in which one can easily get above 450kBps. I think you should change the plan.
And airtel provides it for 1299 + taxes. with 1Mbps night downloads.
By the way I was unable to find out any KBps plans on BSNL website (Kilo byte. All plans listed there are kilo bits per sec.)

Regards,
Mohit

Edit: I dont hate BSNL, I just get pissed off at there lethargic attitude towards customers.
Among pvt players I think Airtel (atleast in Bangalore) rules.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
I was referring to these
*www.airtel.in/experience/

Clearly mentions no data transfer limits!
If you check this page: *airtel.co.in/wps/wcm/connect/airtel.in/Airtel.In/Home/ForYou/Broadband+Internet/Tariffs/

It clearly mentions how the FUP gets applied for each plans, individually. Not only that, but I just called up their customer care & the rep had a different story for me altogether. He said there is no FUP applied on any of their plans. I asked him specifically does he know what the fair usage policy meant & that their website also has it listed, he still said it won't be applicable.

Now I'm confused. I have applied for a new connection for the Explore 1099 plan. I want to know what FUP can I expect on this? Is there any recent update of FUP canceled in certain areas?

I'm totally confused here. I won't be download that much, but still would like a totally uncapped line.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
^ ^ ^
Don't rely on their CC guys. IMHO. :|
That's what I thought too. I also checked their website right now & seems like only Mumbai is showing up with the speed capping (FUP) in their unlimited plans. I checked for other cities like Andhra Pradesh & Dehli, they haven't mentioned any sort of cap on them. Is it true?

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
U know, I was in "Home 999" plan for last 1.2yrs. I used to download at about 90-100 GB per month. Even after introducing FUP I was able to download that much. No bandwidth cut.

I don't if they applied it ever but I didn't got the heat :razz:

amitash

Intel OCer
Im on bsnl home1800, and for some reason, i get 3-3.5mbps where im supposed to get only 2....great speeds 320+ esp during night ul...i dload like 6gb a night in 6hrs...already 30gb this month

amohit

Broken In
I

Now I'm confused. I have applied for a new connection for the Explore 1099 plan. I want to know what FUP can I expect on this? Is there any recent update of FUP canceled in certain areas?

I'm totally confused here. I won't be download that much, but still would like a totally uncapped line.

I stand corrected. I know quite a few people who switched to 1099 & 1299 plans thinking that there is no FUP, but were later told by the CC that there is cap of 100GB after which speed is halved.
This sucks....more so because there website dosent mention it at all.

Regards,
Mohit

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I stand corrected. I know quite a few people who switched to 1099 & 1299 plans thinking that there is no FUP, but were later told by the CC that there is cap of 100GB after which speed is halved.
This sucks....more so because there website dosent mention it at all.

Regards,
Mohit
Their website mentions...
Look closely.
Its not written in cryptic language that u can't find.

And, about this sucking....welll TATA Indicom, disconnects ur line when u cross the limit for rest of the month and Reliance charges u for every extra MB u d/l after u cross the limit.
And in their site they mention these plans under unlimited scheme!!!
How's that??

Airtel halves bandwidth but at least u can still continue downloading.

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
true. add to that never ending issues and downtimes for TATA and reliance and I think Airtel or BSNL are the preferred choice of broadband users.

phuchungbhutia

Om Ma Ni Pä Me Hum
I read from somewhere that companies cant put FUP cos its against consumer law so its illegal and doesnt meet the terms with the govt and govt can cancel their licence . . Is it true . .

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I read from somewhere that companies cant put FUP cos its against consumer law so its illegal and doesnt meet the terms with the govt and govt can cancel their licence . . Is it true . .
No. Actually govt. has allowed them to implement this rule. Read FUP pdf of Airtel, it mentions by which order of Govt. they are introducing it.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
No. Actually govt. has allowed them to implement this rule. Read FUP pdf of Airtel, it mentions by which order of Govt. they are introducing it.
I have the FUP pdf right in front of me & it doesn't even mention the word 'Government' anywhere in there. If government were to approve of this then pretty much every ISP would have implemented such bandwidth reducing tactics. It's very sad that we have to compromise on pretty much everything related to Internet service in India. :-(

I need an opinion here. I'm ditching my MTNL triband connection as the bill turned out to be very very high this month (actually this post is the outcome of no internet for 2 days and constant lectures from parents/relatives/dog etc.)

Airtel is available in my area. I'm interested in Explore1099 and Freedom1699. Which would better serve my purpose? (i'm having a pretty healthy dose of torrenting at the moment)

I wouldn't like to sacrifice on speed, as with MTNL I would easily get 210-190 KBps (on NU849). Going for 256 or 512 kbps would be illogical, as it's like going from a Ferrari to a bullock cart. :|

Both options are providing unlimited connections. Though I'm leaning more towards the dedicated 1mbps line than the night unlimited one (i dont feel like going down that road again :( ).

So, what should I go for? or even prefer?

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
there is one more plan. for 1299 you get 512kbps daytime and 1Mbps at night. or else go for 1699 plan with 1Mbps all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom