** ~10k mobile advice thread **

thinkjamil

Journeyman
I am goin to buy a new smartphone in April. Any suggestion??

6.5K< Budget <10K
wifi==must
3g==required although i highly doubt its use

os==android 2.3 or symbian bella...this is where i m confused latest android is 4(ICS) but there is no smartphone under 10K runing it !!:-x.And if its bella then later up-gradation to Carla would b nice:twisted:.
RAM>256mb.
battery>1200mah

I guess I am stuck with these options
Samsung Glaxy y 5360+duos
motorola fire + fire XTE
HTC explorer
nokia 500

Should I wait for ICS to become mainstream or any major release in budget smatphones?? My budget and time and time are flexible:wink:.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
unless there is some heavy pricecut, a descent Symbian Belle mobile (Nokia 603) is not possible. for Android, we all are expecting some heavy pricecut in the current mobile lineup. So, if you are lucky some online outlets may offer some sweet deals in last gen midrange mobile.

avoid Nokia 500, Motorola Fire. Galaxy Y Duos if, dual sim is required (LG Optimus Net Dual is better) else Explorer for the time being.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
galaxy pocket will most likely target the 5k section or World Cheapest Android.

better looking? Acer Liquid Mini but can't comment on build quality and all.

thinkjamil

Journeyman
Can u any upcoming smartphone ??
Forget about looks..m no female....Acer liquid mini runs on anndroid 2.2!!== ancient.
HTC explorer is in my wishlist but i wanna pick something "LATEST".Offcourse if nothin does better then explorer then explorer it is.

Last edited:

ajaymailed

In the zone
galaxy pocket will most likely target the 5k section or World Cheapest Android.
was waiting for android to clearly break into Sub-5K segment and i think my waiting is almost over.
I hope this 2.8inch androids will come with backslider keyboard since it wud be bit difficult with touch keyboard of small size. 3.2 inch at 5K or below will be groundbreaking.

its clearly these Sub 5K Phones that will take Android into the mass market of millions & billions of people reaching a dominating position in the market.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Sam chack this out anytimeretail.com:HTC Status Import

new retailer. never heard of them.

was waiting for android to clearly break into Sub-5K segment and i think my waiting is almost over.
I hope this 2.8inch androids will come with backslider keyboard since it wud be bit difficult with touch keyboard of small size. 3.2 inch at 5K or below will be groundbreaking.

but at 5k, you can't complain. also already there are many 2.8" touchscreen only android.

its clearly these Sub 5K Phones that will take Android into the mass market of millions & billions of people reaching a dominating position in the market.

and leave them with bad taste of Android. no update, less ram, etc. most people will go for Galaxy Pocket after using friend's Galaxy Ace or maybe Galaxy S. and as these are not even half as powerful or have really old hardware. they'll just say Android is crap OS. it has limitations.

ajaymailed

In the zone
and leave them with bad taste of Android. no update, less ram, etc. most people will go for Galaxy Pocket after using friend's Galaxy Ace or maybe Galaxy S. and as these are not even half as powerful or have really old hardware. they'll just say Android is crap OS. it has limitations.
Android experience at Sub 5K surely won't be same as 12K priced Galaxy Ace or 20K SGS. Its unfair to expect similar performance from all of them.

krappy phones like that will be released and they will give bad experience, there are so many manufacturers out there, they will always try to break into even lower price segments by releasing it with substandard hw, because android gives the freedom. The thing is we won't even have possibility to get any other smartphone at that low prices.
in Performance-Price graph, definitely performance will take a beating when manufacturers try to release at very low prices compromising on hw. In price sensitive markets like India & others, they sure won't be expecting iPhone experience at that low prices.

after lot of krappy phones, there will be ideal VFM Product, the perfect blend of price & performance that will create the smartphone revolution. The android army will be truly unstoppable then fundamentally changing the face of smartphone market, We can say it will be grand success after lot of failures. Its that ultra-low cost innovation that will much bigger story than any iPhone or Windows Phone.
Its definitely much more difficult, challenging & risky than making a quad-core CPU packed with HD Resolution, Big Camera and other features, it will involve lot of failures, razor thin margins, losses, problems in distribution/marketing etc

I want to see a Nokia 1100 in Android, I want to see android selling in hundreds of millions of numbers reaching every nook and corner of mass markets. For me its the holy grail for Android.

if you take the example of Akash, even though it was released with such a low performance hw and gave bad experience, It gives a idea, rough picture of what people are expecting from Tablet priced so low. Even if it might have been failed product, it will definitely give lot of experience to makers of what compromises users can accept and what they insist on.

Then next product will come with slightly better hw with prices adjusted and slightly better end user experience. even that might flop, makers will continue the process untill one company will get that perfect product focusing equally on price as well performance.

the greatness of android is, it allows itself become krappy with substandard hw by any company, it allows itself to be moulded with custom ROMs by any individual, it allows itself to be experimented upon. There is that freedom that is not availaible with other OS.

this android commercial reflects my feelings.
*www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuoa9hBLqiE

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
NO ..its not new retailer ..i been to their site before, i guess they are not FAMOUS. anyway, whats min req for ICS?

will keep an eye. if they offer some better deal. will take their price as reference too.

krappy phones like that will be released and they will give bad experience, there are so many manufacturers out there, they will always try to break into even lower price segments by releasing it with substandard hw, because android gives the freedom. The thing is we won't even have possibility to get any other smartphone at that low prices.
in Performance-Price graph, definitely performance will take a beating when manufacturers try to release at very low prices compromising on hw. In price sensitive markets like India & others, they sure won't be expecting iPhone experience at that low prices.

currently sub5k mobiles have only 1 market leader. Symbian S40. it doesn't have multitasking but at least it can run on almost any elcheapo SOC with super low clockspeed, 128Mb ram and 128Mb ROM. no GPU required. this keep price down and allows Nokia to offer unmatched value.

Also android have some limitations that even those elcheapo mobile don't:
can't install apps directly to external memory.
requires lot more ram and still less memory error (in case of 256Mb)
apps are really big. so even if one have 25Mb free internal memory and it can be moved to external memory, one can't install a 25Mb app.

so Android will take control of the lowend section but it'll take time.

after lot of krappy phones, there will be ideal VFM Product, the perfect blend of price & performance that will create the smartphone revolution. The android army will be truly unstoppable then fundamentally changing the face of smartphone market, We can say it will be grand success after lot of failures. Its that ultra-low cost innovation that will much bigger story than any iPhone or Windows Phone.

it'll take time. See with IceCream Sandwich, Google enabled hardware acceleration. but it is optional. one can use mobile without hardware acceleration too but it'll lag if there is too much transaction going on in screen. and things won't change (i don't expect) with Jelly Beans too. And once Jelly Bean is out, gingerbread will have to be dropped. so a GPU will be required. forcing SOC cost up and hence the pricing of entry level mobiles.

Its definitely much more difficult, challenging & risky than making a quad-core CPU packed with HD Resolution, Big Camera and other features, it will involve lot of failures, razor thin margins, losses, problems in distribution/marketing etc

exactly.

if you take the example of Akash, even though it was released with such a low performance hw and gave bad experience, It gives a idea, rough picture of what people are expecting from Tablet priced so low. Even if it might have been failed product, it will definitely give lot of experience to makers of what compromises users can accept and what they insist on.

Panetel took the lesson and made a better tablet with slightly higher cost which most of us (including me) thought impossible cause budget Android mobiles uses more low quality internal components.

the greatness of android is, it allows itself become krappy with substandard hw by any company, it allows itself to be moulded with custom ROMs by any individual, it allows itself to be experimented upon. There is that freedom that is not availaible with other OS.

hehe right :)

this android commercial reflects my feelings.
Videotron Android Army Commercial - YouTube

nice video :)

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
i hope to see 1 0 kandroid with dual core procy, a gb of ram, 10 gb of of memory and all the features.... ..
in a year this may be reality

kishanmeena

Right off the assembly line
Please give a correct answer.
Who are using this LG Optimus Net Dual!
When ONE SIM is using for Data usage
(Internet purpose) can i receive or dial any
calls or SMS from the other SIM?
Please give me reply as soon as possible i
want to buy if that question is clarified.
Waiting for User's reply............ :)
Have a nice day......... :)

i want to buy a dual sim android phone ... which is better for me LG OPTIMUS DUAL NET or SAMSUNG GALAXY Y DUAS GT S6102...?????

thinkjamil

Journeyman
Sam..just brought htc explorer from ebay ( flipkart isn't offering 8gb sd card anymore :( ) at Rs-8091 after applying 10% discount coupon...thankx for advice man, everyone else until u were telling me to go for galaxy y .

Ah ..how can I forget? Happy Bihu

Rajesh345

Youngling
hello , i'am about to buy htc explorer +Free Nokia Car charger+ memory card (2gb ithink) for 8k+transport Cash on Delivery option this week

Doing last min chk - is there any other 4' or 3.5' android ph available or launching soon ?

thank u

edit

budget below 10k

Last edited:
Top Bottom