1080p for Gaming with TV, 65k budget

> you'll not need to upgrade the processor every two years. Fx 8350 will work well and you can overclock it too.> motherboard: asus m5a97 evo r2.0psu: seasonic s12 650Wram: g.skill ripjawsx 8GB

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
Gone are the days when AMD proc produces heat and all those nonsense. Now they are making better Proc which dont produce heat or draw more power. They are making good CPU coolers compared to Intel ...

OP
I

Innocent Lies

Broken In
Now they are making better Proc which dont produce heat or draw more power.

The FX 8350 definitely consumes more power. Anandtech, Techreport, Tomshardware etc. all agree on that.

An excerpt from AnandTech:

However the areas in which we'd recommend it are limited to those heavily threaded applications that show very little serialization. As our compiler benchmark shows, a good balance of single and multithreaded workloads within a single application can dramatically change the standings between AMD and Intel. You have to understand your workload very well to know whether or not Vishera is the right platform for it. Even if the fit is right, you have to be ok with the increased power consumption over Intel as well.

From Tech Report:

The other major consideration here is power consumption, and really, the FX-8350 isn't even the same class of product as the Ivy Bridge Core i5 processors on this front. There's a 48W gap between the TDP ratings of the Core i5 parts and the FX-8350, but in our tests, the actual difference at the wall socket between two similarly configured systems under load was over 100W. That gap is large enough to force the potential buyer to think deeply about the class of power supply, case, and CPU cooler he needs for his build. One could definitely get away with less expensive components for a Core i5 system.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
For a normal user point of view, if you are playing games for 5 hours a day then the maximum saving will be less than 60 bucks in a Month.

And Multi-Core support in games, just Crysis 3 supports Multi-Threading is a misleading and wrong directional input. Crysis 3 actually shows the direction of future gaming as we are now having same kind of Architecture (X86 Multi-Core CPU along with Stream Processor based GPU) in every gaming platform, starting from PS4 and Xbox 720. Now on, all the new game engines which are going to power the upcoming games are all optimized for highly multi-threaded design due to the fact that now consoles and PCs both are having multi-core design. We have a couple of discussions in this forum about the different reviews and directions pointed out by some of the game developers.

For a normal user point of view, if you are playing games for 5 hours a day then the maximum saving will be less than 60 bucks in a Month.

And Multi-Core support in games, just Crysis 3 supports Multi-Threading is a misleading and wrong directional input. Crysis 3 actually shows the direction of future gaming as we are now having same kind of Architecture (X86 Multi-Core CPU along with Stream Processor based GPU) in every gaming platform, starting from PS4 and Xbox 720. Now on, all the new game engines which are going to power the upcoming games are all optimized for highly multi-threaded design due to the fact that now consoles and PCs both are having multi-core design. We have a couple of discussions in this forum about the different reviews and directions pointed out by some of the game developers.

proof?

the point is that crysis 3 does not use more than 8 threads. and as far as i remember crysis always sets the benchmarks for games which are going to come 2 years ahead.

You dont compare the xbox 720 and the ps4 to a pc for this very fact that running and coding games for their systems is different for a pc. You cant say that just because a ps4 has a 8 core processor we also need a 8 core processor in a desktop computer to play the game port. Just because an architecture is based on x86, doesnt mean that it is x86.

Just take a look at mark cerny's interview about the ps4 architecture.

Last edited:
proof?

the point is that crysis 3 does not use more than 8 threads. and as far as i remember crysis always sets the benchmarks for games which are going to come 2 years ahead.

You dont compare the xbox 720 and the ps4 to a pc for this very fact that running and coding games for their systems is different for a pc. You cant say that just because a ps4 has a 8 core processor we also need a 8 core processor in a desktop computer to play the game port. Just because an architecture is based on x86, doesnt mean that it is x86.

Just take a look at mark cerny's interview about the ps4 architecture.
Buddy, what Cilus and I are saying is that now major consoles too have increasingly got multi-cored. This will force the game engine developers to modify their gaming engines in order to exploit the available architecture. The game developers will then use the same (multi-core optimized) engine to develop games for consoles and for PC too. And for companie which just port the console game to PC, the same would be multicore optimized. this in no way makes an 8 core processor necessary for gameing, but a good investment and with FX 8350, also becomes a great VFM.

Buddy, what Cilus and I are saying is that now major consoles too have increasingly got multi-cored. This will force the game engine developers to modify their gaming engines in order to exploit the available architecture. The game developers will then use the same (multi-core optimized) engine to develop games for consoles and for PC too. And for companie which just port the console game to PC, the same would be multicore optimized. this in no way makes an 8 core processor necessary for gameing, but a good investment and with FX 8350, also becomes a great VFM.

console =/= pc

first you say games like crysis are multithreaded, need more cores. yet the 3550 beats the fx 8350 by 10fps in the minimum fps. Now you say that getting a fx 8350 is VFM.

OP
I

Innocent Lies

Broken In
The point is no older games use multiple threads so 8350 fares poor there but future games are likely to be multi core optimised so it should theoretically perform much better than similarly priced processors.

The real question is does the 8350 give more than 60 FPS for almost all games at 1920x1080 at high settings? And have a decently low 99 th percantile frame time. If it does then it's worth it despite the higher power, noise, heat as its cheaper and will be better for future.

Ofcourse the key is going to be graphics cards will need to compete with 8 gb in ps4.

The point is no older games use multiple threads so 8350 fares poor there but future games are likely to be multi core optimised so it should theoretically perform much better than similarly priced processors.

The real question is does the 8350 give more than 60 FPS for almost all games at 1920x1080 at high settings? And have a decently low 99 th percantile frame time. If it does then it's worth it despite the higher power, noise, heat as its cheaper and will be better for future.

Ofcourse the key is going to be graphics cards will need to compete with 8 gb in ps4.

if you consider crysis an old game then yes

OP
I

Innocent Lies

Broken In
Innocent Lies said:
The real question is does the 8350 give more than 60 FPS for almost all games at 1920x1080 at high settings? And have a decently low 99 th percantile frame time.

Can anyone confirm this? Also how much noisier should I expect it to be ? What HSF solution should I go for?

Cilus

laborare est orare
What kind of question is that? If you use a Graphics card like HD 7770 and play Crysis 3 with highest setting, at 1080P, it will not even cross 30 FPS. For gaming, you need a balance between the CPU and GPU. A very Strong CPU + Weak GPU or Weak GPU + Very strong GPU combination will not work out. But a decent CPU which can handle the GPU + a Powerful GPU combination is the best offering here.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
What kind of question is that? If you use a Graphics card like HD 7770 7970 and play Crysis 3 with highest setting, at 1080P 1024x768, it will not even cross 30 FPS. For gaming, you need a balance between the CPU and GPU. A very Strong CPU + Weak GPU or Weak GPU + Very strong GPU combination will not work out. But a decent CPU which can handle the GPU + a Powerful GPU combination is the best offering here.

for gaming you always want a better gpu

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^And any upcoming games which use more than two cores and as per the analysts and developers, most of the future games going to use all the avai

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
^^And any upcoming games which use more than two cores and as per the analysts and developers, most of the future games going to use all the avai

by a good gpu i did not mean the gtx 670, was just pointing out the wrong information.

a good compromise would be a 3450 + 7950

d3p

PowerHouse
I have few question to ask to our experts.

1). Do every Gamer need to OC his Processor or GPU??

2). Won't a Non OC-able Processor & High End GPU work together ?? example : 3570 + GTX 660ti or HD 7870. Coz it saves a lot specially on Motherboard & After market cooler.

Top Bottom