1 TB External HDD for 4K

rahul_c

Journeyman
I am looking for a external HDD with capacity of 1 TB, physical size doesn't matter.
Do 3.5 form factor external HDD have adapter problems?Can these branded external HDD upgraded manually?

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Seagate GoFlex 1TB @ 3.3k

It has a dock which can be used to plug any internal HDD via USB.

Also has a USB3 version which does not require external power.

OP
rahul_c

rahul_c

Journeyman
WTF..i just got 500 GB Segate GoFlex for 3K :(

@Anil you must have got the 2.5 form factor one which does not require external power.

Seagate or WD which one is better? WD one is cheaper, is it a good brand? Which one these brands offer better after sale service and warranty? My friend got a chinese external hdd case but its adapter got blown in just 4-5 days, does branded adapters have such issues?

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
^^
is it this one?
Seagate Expansion External Drives | Seagate
can you tell me more about it please?
'cause i am interested in buying one too :)

OP
rahul_c

rahul_c

Journeyman
Yes it's the same. What do you want to know?
I found one con yet - it shows 931 GB only. Everything else is good, if you dont want portability buy it.

OP
rahul_c

rahul_c

Journeyman
Yes it requires external power and a usb cable. Adapter and a USB cable are provided and it comes with 3 yr warranty.
I am not sure of weight, it must not more than ~1.5 KGs (including adapter). You must ave seen a PC HDD add to that a big adapter and the HDD case(~300gms). This might give you a idea.
It is a 3.5 inch hard disk, they are not portable. If portability matters get a 2.5 inch hdd based external hard drive. They ran off usb so adapter is not necessary but they are pretty expensive. You will get ~500 GB for 3k.

Eigher you buy the external HDD in 2 options .

1. Require external power : Cheaper and heavier .

2. Do not require external power : Expensive and Lighter .

Seagate without power 500 Gb = 2.5K
Seagate with power 1TB = 3.2-4.3K

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Eigher you buy the external HDD in 2 options .

1. Require external power : Cheaper and heavier .

2. Do not require external power : Expensive and Lighter .

Seagate without power 500 Gb = 2.5K
Seagate with power 1TB = 3.2-4.3K
Seagate GoFlex portable (without power) 1TB is 4.5k.
Seagate GoFlex Desk (with power) 1TB is 3.3k

If you can find the USB3 version of the Desk edition (rare), it will work without external power. You can also buy a separate USB3 adapter for 1.9k.

mitraark

Decrepit
Yes it's the same. What do you want to know?
I found one con yet - it shows 931 GB only. Everything else is good, if you dont want portability buy it.

1 TB = 10^12 Bytes [ 1000 * 1000 * 1000 * 1000 ] , HDD sellers consider that.

But Computer , 1 TB = 1024 * 1024 * 1024 * 1024.

Hence the shortage.

I have a Seagate Freeagent 1 TB , Best thing i've ever bought.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
I have a 1.5TB GoFlex USB 3.0 for evaluation. Its 22mm thick. I am speculating but judging by the performance its a green edition drive for sure. There are 2 models within the 1.5TB. The specific one that I am evaluating is STAA1500301 and this one comes with 3 years manufacturer's warranty mentioned on the box. The drive comes with Seagate Dashboard software, offering share file support between PC and MAC (basically an NTFS installation file for Mac).

When I got this drive, the softwares wasn't there (whoever tested it earlier had pirated copies for l4d2, vintage, 06 and other *ahem* stuff *wink*wink*) but if its the same as the GoFlex Slim I tested then the backup is nothing more than a media backup.

OP
rahul_c

rahul_c

Journeyman
1 TB = 10^12 Bytes [ 1000 * 1000 * 1000 * 1000 ] , HDD sellers consider that.

But Computer , 1 TB = 1024 * 1024 * 1024 * 1024.

Hence the shortage.

I have a Seagate Freeagent 1 TB , Best thing i've ever bought.

OK, Thanks for info. I was feeling at loss due to 70+ GB space missing.

Can these branded external HDD upgraded manually?
I had Chinese one earlier which could be easily upgraded. What about this one?

Top Bottom