Your Journey So Far

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
This thread is for users posting their journey through the days, months, or years in this online, virtual world, tech forums and everything else. Keep it like a journal, and I would like to start off with the first page!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Journey with tech and online encounters(other than downloading small game demos at 5-7 Kb/s with my dial-up connection) truly started in 2008, although the primary factor behind it was my encounters with the "CHIP" magazine over the years since 2004, and finally "ThinkDigit", for which I took an immense liking, and now finally I can say I read both the mags almost every month.

So yeah, 2008 started with CHIP.in forums, what a start, I was soo excited. It felt good to help put (although in the beginning I was a notorious idiot who irritated more than helped), eventually I started making better contributions.

My biggest contribution goes as "Hardware News Thread", which can still be found in the CHIP forum sticky. Why my name is not listed as author? A loong story.

Well, with great enthusiasm, I started the Hardware News Thread, a first of it's kind in these forums, and if you look closely, you might find today, "Software News Thread", "Gaming News Thread", our very own "CPU/GPU News Channel" all inspired by the start which I created.

Now, unfortunate turn of events took place. I once saw that thread, after about a year, become "un-stickied". I asked a MOD who gave a stupid reason saying I was spamming and increasing my post count using that thread. PLEASE! What a childish mind that guy has.

At first I was confused, which contributed to RAGE, after which I quit the CHIP.in forum for good and joined to good folk at TDF. Now if you look closely, you see the Author listed as "erif", not many days since I went in-active.

That was the BIGGEST reason I never went back. I just couldn't believe what I saw, the THREAD was BACK STICKIED, but I was stripped out as author, AFTER ALL I HAD DONE. That was it, I was in a bad mood. BUT, TDF, you folks, are so, soo good. I remember the main guys at that time, topgear, desiibond, ico too, you guys were the best people I could ask for in a forum. We were friends. I found friends online, a world I was convinced was full of devious, opportunistic, idea-stealers only.

Thank you friends.

So, here, I think you all are aware that I started off with the "Latest Prices !!!" thread in 2008, and pretty soon, I was keeping an up-to-date tab of prices across a RANGE of hardware, and suggesting to my best ability, back in 2008 and 2009, rigs to everybody. Maybe start of 2010 too I believe.

New users, you can call me Jaswanker Singh before he joined TDF, only Jas is soo much better, amazing guy!

Now, unfortunate events took place again, and this time, I WAS DEVASTATED. To find one day, that my THREAD was TAKEN OVER AGAIN, by another great mind, 2nd time, was too much for me. I RAGED AGAIN, and QUIT, it was too much to take, and if anybody else had been in my place, they would have written sooo much more than what I did here, and to think I actually apologized and quietly left this forum for what I thought was good.

I was sad why? because after 1 and a half years of input, a person isn't supposed to be allowed to come and RENAME MY THREAD, PUSH MY WORK DOWN, AND PUT HIS OWN WORK AT THE TOP OF HIS PAGE.

If only you had asked for permission, I wouldn't ever say NO, after all it's for everybody's good.

I found out the THREAD has the same title as the Great Mind's thread back at CHIP.in, which made me a bit confused as to what this guy was thinking, WORLD TECH FORUM DOMINATION **** and all (I know crazy thoughts me!).

But we all know where it stands right now, the Thread at TDF is far FAR more popular, with 251,000 views +, compared to 93,000 views only. Trust me guys, had I wanted, I would have gone to post this entire thread in other forums too. But you know WHY I didn't? Because I meant this thread to be a TDF exclusive from the start, I want you all guys to know that.

Anyways, there ended TDF, I was truly let down by the 2nd home I thought I was in. Techenclave, or TE, where I was already active, became my place. Trust me, I was bugging and notorious there too! And still am, but I help out people, get a laugh, give a laugh as often as I can! It's by pure interest and no obligation or something!

But, a month or so prior to today, one person from TDF and common to TE, came to me (PM) and asked me about what happened, and why I should let go and come back. We had a laugh about some .. bah forget that guy, and I thank him, for he is one reason I came back, thinking, "What the Hell!", I'll do what I have to, don't care about who steals anything from me this time!

The rest is, well you guys know. Back and active at TDF and if feels great!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have read this entire post, I hope you understand why I raged and it was circumstances which forced me, not once, but twice, and 2nd time was HARD, hence my hate post as many of you might remember.

I just felt this is something I had to do, write it, let you all know.

Thank you.

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

And welcome back, mate.

I'm so glad to be. Just felt this had to be done you know, so my contributions don't go waste wherever I did contribute, and I be remembered (like the famous vaibhavtech) LOL!

Cilus

laborare est orare
Look buddy, when I have joined TDF, in the end of 2008, I was seeing only 1 name n its your name. Within couple of days I became popular in giving optimized suggestion and the only page I referred for giving suggestion is your page...it is such an amazing page....everything, just every thing is there. Believe me or not, you were my first inspiration in TDF, nobody else. I used to think the amount of effort that guy was putting...really amazing.
Then suddenly you went missing and I was unhappy for a long time. Actually I thought you left for studying, never believed that you can actually leave the forum by your choice.
Now when you are back again. I was just happy, more than harpy as one of the old Knights, a powerful one has returned again. So just keep aside all your rages...we all have our ups and downs...just be active all the time, never leave TDF again, if you do, I am gonna bring you back by any means...even brutal force can be used.

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

Thank you soo much Clius. Really, this has made my day. I'm happy. Really happy.

And yeah, nothing's gonna get me rid of TDF again, ever! :D

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
This forum had almost become dead. Errors, bugs etc
Now its going back up :D

There are lots of threads which will make new members go happy and I wont post them to the happiness of the admins :wink:

When I joined in 2008 TDF was very spammy and full of errors. So didnt post or do anything. Did come from time to time to post the occasional problem and to give solution to a problem.
Now I come here almost everyday. This forum has come a lot far due to members like ico, desiibond, all the present mods, Patkhik, praka123(yes he was a Open Source Genius), QWERty maniac and all others who I might have forgot

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
@comp@ddict

I am not going to praise you like Cilus did, and i am not going to say what techfreak said, but you were one hell of contributor with some outrageous post count in a short time. But still you need to learn a lot and hope you got what i am saying.

@Others
Aren't you guys supposed to put your story here?

Here's mine.

Incident 1 : When i was 13, i first saw PC in my school and fell in love.
then my uncle bought a new PC and again i went cray and decided i am going to spend my life with that forever.
Now i am in IT field and i did what i dream about when i was kid.

Still i am in love with PC. This is how my journey of tech started.

When i first joined in an IT company, i registered in TDF, after reading Digit for over 4 years. But at that time, i came to know i am a n00b (You can see that in my first thread i started). Then guys like Ethan_Hunt, MHG, asingh, toofan and others helped me to understand about the tech.

Also i had some great fun here in some threads and it was great lulz.

I started bugging my friend google about everything and learned some new things about tech. Now i am decent-enough-knowledge techie and all credit goes to TDF.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
You shouldn't really be too emotional. It wasn't "taken over" in my honest opinion. Taking a chill pill is better than raging and getting devastated.

I had recently become an admin at that time and did my best to revamp the forum. No one really wanted to push your commendable work down and promote their own. This has to be some sort of misunderstanding between you and someone else.

I had asked for your permission, but realizing you hadn't logged into the forum and posted for ~2 weeks (personal reasons), I had to trigger it the next day. Never intended to hurt you.

Take a chill pill. :)

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

. But still you need to learn a lot and hope you got what i am saying.

of course, till the last day we keep learning! we shud always try to do that, and also, try spreading our knowledge, however limited, to everybody.

I think that this principle is as great as "live and let live"

Taking a chill pill is better than raging and getting devastated.

done!

When i was 13, i first saw PC in my school and fell in love.

yeah, i know, I was 5 and half, I think it was a Pentium 2.

tkin

Back to school!!
Hmm, journey, let see....

First saw a PC when I was about 10 yrs old(my mother's office), and saw a 2d game in it, forgot name but it had something to do about shooting alien ships with lasers from a ship which was controlled using arrow keys, black and white of course, and I immediately fell in love with gaming.

Anyway parents bought a color tv when I was 12 yrs old and later I bought a gaming console for it, those cheap ones with a controller and a gun, how much I missed those days, mario bros etc.

After that I joined a computer coaching center locally, saw someone programming in it(C), I was hooked when I saw it, it really attracted me to computers even more than before, previously it was all gaming but now I liked it, the guy teaching the stuff showed me a calculator(basic +-*/) and I was amazed, but due to increasing pressure from studies had to postpone the plans for then.

In 2007 I bought my first computer, some old P4, 512MB RAM(later upgraded to 1GB) and a few months later got a X1900XTX from cousin who was living abroad, it was faster than all my friends pc at that time, played a lot of games, also started learning C(it was not included in course), anyway again pressures from study increased and my parents took the pc away from me.

I still remember those days, did not have internet, so bought CHIP/Digit/PCworld every month for softwares, later got access to dialup but god it was slow, once tried to update antivirus software on it, huge bills came and well, I lost the modem card. Also bought pirated games at astounding prices, 60/- per cd, POP 3 cost me like hell.

Anyway time passed on, passed hs, got into a college, and got my first gaming pc and also internet conn. alongside it. It was late 2008, you can see my join date, I joined from a cybercafe.

At that time I was an epic noob related to pc, anyway after some help from you guys bought the pc in September and played the hell out of it first year(and sadly didn't do well first sem), so parents again took the pc away, studied hard and got good marks in second sem and got the pc back, from then my marks had been more or less good and I got to game as much as I wanted.

Anyway I had received tremendous help from digit mag and you guys, specially mukherjee, comp@ddict, topgear and many more, made a lot of new friends, tenida(amartya), cilus, ico, asingh, ethan_hunt, manasp, arnab_boss, jaskanwar singh, soumo, furious_gamer, vicky_bat, megamind, sammy_cool, gameranand, skud, piyush and so many more I can't even gather them here.

Anyway its been nice and I like to stay here in TDF, TDF had become my exclusive forum and I spent almost all my free time here, better than facebook to me.

Hope I can be a part of this awesome forum forever.

PS: I broke my finger typing this.

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

"Dave"

anybody remembers that game?

and saw a 2d game in it, forgot name but it had something to do about shooting alien ships with lasers from a ship which was controlled using arrow keys, black and white of course, and I immediately fell in love with gaming.

damn this reminds me soo much of that classic nokia game, there was another besides snake!! can't recall!

wait, I still have my 8 year old nokia cell somewhere, lets see if I can fit a charger!

tkin

Back to school!!
X1900XTX used to run as hot as fire.
Back then, people use to believe pc needs air conditioned rooms, so for that reason I enjoyed lot of ac time back then, electricity was cheaper as well, now my parents know how pc's can run in normal temps too, so I am posting now sitting in a 35c room :neutral:

And yeah, even with ac I could feel the hot air coming from the XTX, but played games fine and never broke down once, gpu build qualities are going down in the drain these days.

"Dave"

damn this reminds me soo much of that classic nokia game, there was another besides snake!! can't recall!

wait, I still have my 8 year old nokia cell somewhere, lets see if I can fit a charger!
I do, I loved dave, and aladdin, omg I loved aladdin and I was able to finish it, the only one in my tuition to finish it, then pop, and also road rash, played road rash like crazy, too sad a game like road rash were never built(burnout paradise had bikes but no chains, or clubs, or running over pedestrians).

Also sky roads was another such game, remember it?

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
The first game i ever played in my computer was dave. That is what we do in our computer class when i was in my 8th grade. Every one will get a chance to play. :D

The first game i liked most is Keen. (An adventure kinda game) and the one and only Road Rash. It redefined the word gaming for me.

R2K

In the Zone
"Dave"

i think you are talking abt the game space impact :D
lol I ruined the keypad and battery of my dad's phone playing those games for hours when I was a kid:-D

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

That is what we do in our computer class when i was in my 8th grade.

class 2 and 3, dave was soo much more fun than Word Art!

Also sky roads was another such game, remember it?

damn, I had completed ALL LEVELS!

lol I ruined the keypad and battery of my dad's phone playing those games for hours when I was a kid

all the cover of the phone literally has peeled off, beat that! haha!

Snake high score 9999 :p

tkin

Back to school!!
i think you are talking abt the game space impact :D
lol I ruined the keypad and battery of my dad's phone playing those games for hours when I was a kid:-D
Ah yes, 3 ruined keypads, all thanks to this game, I ended up damaging the keypad pcb of my fathers phone finally, got a beating everytime.

Remember the megabosses at level ends? Those were fun.

Top Bottom