You’re Likely to Get the Coronavirus

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
A proper vaccine cannot be developed in 1 or 2 years. It would take 10+ years for side effects to even appear to track how successful the vaccine is and there has already been reports of death on current vaccine trials. All these vaccine announcements is just to increase stock prices.
Oxford University isn't a publicly traded company though. It isn't a company at all actually.

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oxford University isn't a publicly traded company though. It isn't a company at all actually.

Same is the case with Sputnik in Russia, this is the first time in history that a modern vaccine is going to be released so soon & without all the checks/trials earlier vaccines underwent so nothing can be said for sure.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got tested again, result came as negative. Now I think my first test was a false positive or the specimen got exchanged.
False positive is more likely as the more accurate RT-PCR test is slower compared to faster & now much more widely used rapid antigen test.
*swachhindia.ndtv.com/experts-expla...antigen-vs-rt-pcr-test-which-is-better-48040/

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

A proper vaccine cannot be developed in 1 or 2 years. It would take 10+ years for side effects to even appear to track how successful the vaccine is and there has already been reports of death on current vaccine trials. All these vaccine announcements is just to increase stock prices.

Oxford tied up with Astrazeneca, Russia ( Sputnik V ) with Dr. Reddy and then we have vaccine from Pfizer, Moderna and our own Bharat Biotech ( Bharat Immuno ). Now we have couple of tablets before. The pace at which these were developed or staged to be developed will even leave intel, amd and nvidia behind ;). Then we have WHO which was changing it's advice from time to time, ( Jan 14 2020 tweet by WHO - there's no proof of human transmission of covid19 where any one knows that even common cold / flu is contagious ) - most funny is kids don't have to wear mask but kids are the one who are most vulnerable to any virus threat as their immunity system is not fully developed. It only sounds like marketing gimmick. Read somewhere about the development of Ebola which took years to be developed. All these only raise question about the credibility of covid19.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
It only sounds like marketing gimmick. Read somewhere about the development of Ebola which took years to be developed. All these only raise question about the credibility of covid19.
There is no question about the credibility of covid 19, only difference of opinions regarding the strategies to handle it. I personally knew a few people whose relatives died because of corona. :-(

Nerevarine

Incarnate
There is no question about the credibility of covid 19, only difference of opinions regarding the strategies to handle it. I personally knew a few people whose relatives died because of corona. :-(
This .. I just visited pune and I had been worried sick upon returning to hometown, thinking I may have brought the disease with me.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
This .. I just visited pune and I had been worried sick upon returning to hometown, thinking I may have brought the disease with me.
That is why following social distancing is so important, it doesn't cost you anything & for keeping in contact you can always use phone or speak louder from a distance.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
That is why following social distancing is so important, it doesn't cost you anything & for keeping in contact you can always use phone or speak louder from a distance.
Yes but sometimes it's unavoidable. Now matter how much u try. Pune is the worst affected because I can see people dont even wear masks. Anyways it's been 8 days without symptoms so I am thinking I'm okay. But will take caution for a few days more

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes but sometimes it's unavoidable. Now matter how much u try. Pune is the worst affected because I can see people dont even wear masks. Anyways it's been 8 days without symptoms so I am thinking I'm okay. But will take caution for a few days more
Same situation everywhere, people in India cry all the time about how India lacks in law & order situation compared to more developed democracies but then don't follow the rules themselves. Here also now majority of people walking around without masks.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
The questions about the credibility and transmission of the virus are :

1. Kids ( under 12 ) who don't have a fully developed immune system are being said as not so vulnerable to the virus. If there's some virus kids can be infected more than adults and kids can spread it much faster than adults.

2. Covid19 may be there but is there any single evidence where someone died without covid19 testing. If there's some thing it's all in the test kit ( not on every kit though ).

3. Confusing and contradictory information from various scientists/Doctors/Virologist from time to time.

4. Moreover this could have been some bio engineered virus targeting people with specific gene group.

I know some guys working at hospitals as word boy and they did not even got tested .. and it's been like what almost a whole year now since the first news of the virus. I'm not saying not to take precautions .. take as per your necessity. Wearing mask in highly polluted places, Keep your hands clean are some of the general hygiene practices but did not see any sort of social distancing in most places .. be it some bus or train or a crowded market. People on those places are safe so far and not to mention the political rallies / gatherings we tend to see here and there. Moreover we still see food vendors are selling their foods. If the virus was that much contagious then the infection rate would be like a hostile projectile in a country like ours.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
3. Confusing and contradictory information from various scientists/Doctors/Virologist from time to time.

4. Moreover this could have been some bio engineered virus targeting people with specific gene group.

These piss me off the most. Every organization has separate views, and China could have stopped the virus from spreading.

I know some guys working at hospitals as word boy and they did not even got tested .. and it's been like what almost a whole year now since the first news of the virus. I'm not saying not to take precautions .. take as per your necessity. Wearing mask in highly polluted places, Keep your hands clean are some of the general hygiene practices but did not see any sort of social distancing in most places .. be it some bus or train or a crowded market. People on those places are safe so far and not to mention the political rallies / gatherings we tend to see here and there. Moreover we still see food vendors are selling their foods. If the virus was that much contagious then the infection rate would be like a hostile projectile in a country like ours.

I was thinking about what will happen with the protesting farmers? And TBH, it is way too much exaggerated now. These things have caused an increase in khalistani activities, not only here but also in some foreign countries. Maybe all those protesting there are farmers, but those terrorists are taking advantage of it.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
The virus is there, people have died, protect yourself. Anecdotal evidence is faulty. We are not seeing the effect of the virus first hand because of the sheer size of India's population. But most definitely its there. It could be asymptomatic cases but if you are vulnerable or give this virus to a vulnerable person, then your whole world will rip apart in a matter of days.

These piss me off the most. Every organization has separate views, and China could have stopped the virus from spreading.

I was thinking about what will happen with the protesting farmers? And TBH, it is way too much exaggerated now. These things have caused an increase in khalistani activities, not only here but also in some foreign countries. Maybe all those protesting there are farmers, but those terrorists are taking advantage of it.

Way to go, turn the discussion into a straight u turn :neutral:

snap

Lurker
2. Covid19 may be there but is there any single evidence where someone died without covid19 testing. If there's some thing it's all in the test kit ( not on every kit though ).
Lmao what?
Are you trolling?

OrrBitt

Broken In
The questions about the credibility and transmission of the virus are :

1. Kids ( under 12 ) who don't have a fully developed immune system are being said as not so vulnerable to the virus. If there's some virus kids can be infected more than adults and kids can spread it much faster than adults.

While it is true that kids are more susceptible to infections, the thing here is that Covid-19 in extreme cases causes a runaway immune system reaction, known as a cytokine storm. People who are young have less chances of this happening as their immune systems work properly. Those who are older or have weakened immune system and/or take medications for diabetes, etc are more at risk because their immune system doesn't cope efficiently and often overreacts. At least, that's what I've understood.

As for people dying without testing positive for Covid-19, there are countless such cases. I remember reading an article about people who wanted to be tested but were not tested because they needed a doctor's approval, and then they died; I think this happened in Mumbai. There are many such cases.

That is a problem, with various doctors/organizations saying this and that. On top of that, social media spreads all sorts of lies. During the beginning of this epidemic, I remember watching a video of a doctor who said that if you can hold your breath for a minute or so, you are not infected, but later I learned that the WHO had clarified that you could be infected even if you can hold your breath, probably because you are not affected severely. If you were, you would probably know and wouldn't need to hold your breath to check. :)

This is a new disease and it will take time for proper information to come out, so doctors will change their stance and treatment methods. We on our part, just have to be careful, as much as possible. I would also say wait for the vaccine, but even that is something you cannot trust at present, since they are being prepared in a hurry. Vaccines take a lot of time to develop and have to be tested properly before being given to people. See this about the dengue vaccine in the Philippines:

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengvaxia_controversy

The article itself is not clear on whether the vaccine caused the problem or not, but once you hear such a thing, you would obviously stay away from it. But doing that comes with its own set of problems, which is what happened later in the Philippines, causing a surge in other infectious diseases.

I, for one, will wait till the very end, after all issues with the vaccine(s) have come out and been resolved, before I take a shot.

If the virus was that much contagious then the infection rate would be like a hostile projectile in a country like ours.

Now this is something that everyone is wondering about, why we have comparatively lower deaths compared to other countries. Earlier they said the hot weather is helpful, but I think that has been disproved, not sure though. Then there's this thing that Indians have earlier got the BCG vaccine which is in some way helpful.

The 1918 Spanish Flu had wreaked havoc in our country, compared to which Covid-19 seems pretty mild. The Spanish Flu was dangerous for the same reason Covid-19 is - the cytokine storm.

What really is unbelievable is China's death rate - 4634. Anyone has any info on what their actual numbers are?

Last edited:

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Way to go, turn the discussion into a straight u turn
Are you trolling?

No, Actually, Although the cases of whole country are going down, but the cases in chandigarh are increasing. Now due to all that protests and all happening, There is a very high probability that numbers will go boom here. which is not good. In a way, It has lead to a chain of problems, one of which being covid. It is a complete mess now.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Viruses are not simple, something that can kill an elephant might not even make a rat sick & so on. Some viruses are more harmful to children & some more harmful to adults, immunity has nothing to do with it.

??

That is expected as this virus is new but as far as "mainstream" view is concerned they all agree on basic points.

Too many scifi movies :) humanity is not advanced enough to create something like this currently or even in next few decades.

If you are an asymptomatic carrier of covid then you are completely safe but not all those around you. India's population is 1.2 Billion & till now only 150 million samples are tested as per official data, you do the maths.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
*www.healthline.com/health-news/the-coronavirus-is-mutating-what-we-know-about-the-new-variants

quicky008

Technomancer
has anyone here taken the vaccination for Covid 19?The organization where i work has made vaccination mandatory for its employees and they are innoculating all employees in turns free of charge with whats supposedly the covishield vaccine.

Now i am really skeptical about the efficiency of this vaccine and its possible side effects and hence dont want to get it right away-but the management is likely to harass me if they learn about my intentions-many of my co-workers are also similarly disposed to the idea of getting vaccinated.

I dont understand what to do in this situation-take a risk and get the vaccine or avoid it entirely and face the wrath of the management!

AFAIK the govt hasn't made vaccination mandatory for everyone-then how can these privately owned companies force their employees to take the vaccine?

Top Bottom