Yahoo! Mail In Hindi

Status
Not open for further replies.

CadCrazy

in search of myself
Yahoo! Mail in Hindi will include all information similar to the English version. However, Hindi would give it a distinct local touch.

Yahoo! India has announced a completely new Indian Web experience with the availability of Yahoo! Mail in Hindi. Putting consumers at the centre of the Web experience, this is a huge step from Yahoo! to localise and cater to country-specific needs. Yahoo! Mail Classic users are now being offered the option to write and read e-mail in Hindi. With this roll-out, Yahoo! Mail Classic users can now experience a complete Hindi interface. The new Yahoo! Mail in Hindi will include all information similar to the English version. However, Hindi would give it a distinct local touch.

"We have always been focussed on making it easy for people to connect to those who matter most to them. Now, with Yahoo! Mail Classic, we’re creating a more local e-mail experience. In addition, we wanted to make sure that people have the best possible Web mail experience regardless of their geographic location, preferences or system. Our product and engineering teams in India have played a crucial role in this localisation," said John Kremer, vice president, Yahoo! Mail, Yahoo! Inc.

"Yahoo! Mail in Hindi is relevant to the 200 million Indians who are expected to come online in the next few years. This will also be an attractive product for a large section of our advertisers, who want to reach out to the non-English speaking Indian population," added Pranesh Anthapur, chief administrative officer, Yahoo! India.

Besides, Yahoo! Messenger has introduced a new Web-based version of its instant messaging service. With no downloads required, Yahoo! Messenger for the Web (*in.webmessenger.yahoo.com) gives people the freedom to instant message (IM) from anywhere -- offices, Internet cafés, schools, airports. The service is ideal for travellers on the move and office workers with firewall constraints. The big value-add is that it will allow users to chat in nine Indian languages which include Hindi, Kannada, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Punjabi, Bengali, Marathi and Gujarati. Users can switch between these languages seamlessly along with English.

Source

Ya, its a great news. Indian language promotion in Web applications is a good sign. But it will work effectively when everything else goes in coordination. Like one can work in hindi in Mail application but other things like OS etc are still in English, that doesn't make much sense. but anyways, things are and will get better, that is sure.

BTW, yahoo mail's new interface sucks on 64 KBPS connection. And add to that unavailability of POP3/IMAP access, its really a pain. Gmail is much better in that.

read it in the newspaper today.looked gud.
@krazy-linux(ubuntu) is available in hindi and yahoo messanger works with it so no prob.
windows is yet to introduce its hindi counterpart.

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
I have a genuine doubt. please dont bash me :D

Du u guys really feel comfortable working with computers in native language. After all the years of getting used to working in english language i feel damn awkward even to read blogs in tamil and hindi (i can read hindi very well and tamil is my mother tongue). reading from news papers is a totally diff experience. I'm definitely crawling when reading online.

So how much this localisation is effective. like if someone is going to use a computer in India he is sure to know english. and very rare that a person who doesnt know english is going to work with computers. bcos here all the education is done in English even schools with other medium of instruction give good importance to english subject. having the grip on english is considered to be our singlemost strength in the field of IT and ITES sectors.

in the case of china, japan or most european countries they do all their education in their own mother tongue and english knowledge is poor among them. in most of the forums they speak absurd english and even apologise for that. so even the educated dont have a firm grip on english. but our situation is totally different.

or is it just a matter of getting used to ? or is it that we feel comfortable and very personal when we chat in our own language ?
or is the prime aim of localisation is to target the people who dont know much english but want to compute and use online services ?

dont take me wrong here about language sentiments even I have them but I just had this doubt in my mind for a loong time so asked here. may be u ppl can chip in with some valuable stats and opinions.

^^^ @DigitalDude : Ya you are right to some extent. As far as we guys are concerned who have been in that kind of atmosphere, English works fine and there is hardly any need. But considering the fact that Governments and IT companies want to make computing and internet facilities for everyone, it becomes necessary that computer 'speaks' regional languages.Its not only about you and me, its about us, Indians (or natives of other countries as well). Regional language support is not being demanded only for IT professionals but for general public, so that everybody could benefit from technology, if they have basic literacy, in any language of choice.

I hope i made myself clear. Plz correct me if i am wrong somewhere.

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
@Krazy_About_Technology

yeah I get it... just wanted to ask that question. had that in my mind for a long time :D

OP
CadCrazy

CadCrazy

in search of myself
He bhagwan ye hindustaniyo ko kya hota ja raha hai. You do t like hindi. Shame on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom