XPS M1530: a brief review

Status
Not open for further replies.

VD17

Journeyman
Dell will offer a 12-month limited warranty enhancement specific to this issue. For all customers worldwide, we plan to add 12 months of coverage for this issue to the existing limited warranty up to 60 months from the date of purchase

*direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/20...ment-to-all-affected-customers-worldwide.aspx

finally, huh? took long in coming...
still, i feel the deal could have been better...

Last edited:

aytus

The Boss
ya.. guys u still got a defective gpu and nyhow that extended warranty isnt helping if you overclocked ur gpu.. so better stop excessive ocing

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
ok just one silly question...

if i oc my gpu will i able to startup the os ??

coz in case of pc .. i can always try out the motherboard video slot....

wht about in lappy ???

wht will happen ??

and where is dominator...

can someone answer my "*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=912331&postcount=329" problem

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
guys can anyone confirm that the latest release of Gfx card driver from dell is fine and good for overclocking....

please confirm..

here is the link *support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=XPS_M1530&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid=

please guys ..

i need replies really fast as i am about to start to download it...

aytus

The Boss
hi guys .. some old pictures i,d like to share here:
*img174.imageshack.us/img174/5239/dell4rc5.th.jpg
the new 13 incher
*img513.imageshack.us/img513/8226/dell2rz6.th.jpg
end of xps1530
*img264.imageshack.us/img264/2742/dell5vc4.th.jpg
what i and most of u would be interested in maybe? it seems dell is going hybrid sli way. (i would say most exciting is hybrid sli.. , though i have some doubts on its implementation . i thought it needed an nvidia based motherboard to function , is dell dumping intel mobos?? ) read more here *www.nvidia.com/object/hybridsli_notebook.html

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^ thanx for the screenies. :D

but according to the 2nd screenshot, does that alarm a signal(to the consumers like us) tat DELL is discontinuing its XPS models (1330,1530 and 1730) after nov, 2008 ?? but will still continue delivering the Studio models ??

If yes, then is the Studio model better than the XPS one , in terms of performance, looks (i guess its better than XPS as per the screenshots and smaller too) and configuration ?? if NO, then i will go and buy the XPS 1530 latest by Oct,2008..
-------------------

:eek:ff topic: is there any news on DELL's new range of Lappy's on the 9xxx GPUs ?
-------------------

Cheers n e-peace...

aytus

The Boss
dell is not discontinuing 1330 .. only 1530. dont know about 1730 i think it will live on as well. and yes it will continue all its studio branding. now xps will also be a subbrand under studio.. and the new studio xps 16 that they are launching .. its gonna have either a 9600 or a 9700M GT .. the model is supposed to replace xps 1530 .. and it will offer centrino 2 platform as well.. combined with montevina.. btw if ashu u cant wait .. then go with hp dv5t now.. it has 9600M GT but the only thing holding me down from buying that is that it uses GDDR2 and not GDDR3 .. so the performance increase is negligible.. and as of now.. it dosent support hybrid sli either. and ive heard dell customer care is better then.. hp.. so i think id be waitng for the studio xps 16.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

well, if thats the news then even i'll wait for the same, y not buy a new tech rather than an already phased out concept.. :)
--

Buddy, do u hv any news as to wen this Studio xps 16 is gonna get launched by DELL..

nowornever

Broken In
Hi,

Dell is currently providing core2 duo processors with 45nm tech. Recently intel advertised in TOI about arrival of centrino2 in India as well.Can anyone tell me that when dell will include centrion 2 in xps series and would it lead to massive:wink:reduction in price of current 45nm (2.1 Ghz preferably) processors and thus price of xps 1530 as well. So is it best to buy a new xps in and around diwali with reduced prices.

All suggestions are welcome....

Cheers

Last edited:

VD17

Journeyman
Well, my webcam is screwed... lines and patches... called up tech support and they're sending someone to replace it tomorrow... the call took 75 minutes... waited for 55 minutes and then a 20 minute calll..
good news for xps customers: a friend of mine in tech support in gurgaon said they'll be starting XPS support for Indian customers exclusively in a few months...

aytus

The Boss
i thought xps had a exclusive dell support center. atleast their site says so.. and as of ur query nowornvr .. i think as in typical dell tradition.. most probably the older parts will be most likly be replaced by newer parts.. rather than dell reducing the price of one of its so called premium segment system .. so expect some new parts or rather newer models around black friday .. .. that is . maybe around a week or so after diwali..

VD17

Journeyman
yeah... they do.. thats what i meant by XPS support. Its called XPS Gold Support, i think. Sad thing is that all XPS customers around the world get routed to this one tech support centre in Philippines and hence the wait.

Edge-of-chaos

Broken In
Hey, to end this whole vista/ xp mess, theres a cool solution. Have heard of an application that installs Vista skin on the XP OS in your machine. This transforms your UI into that of Vista's which is vista's high point, and retains the robustness and
platform viability (across application softwares) of the XP (which is really the XP advanage). Aint it a great solution?

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

are u talking abt Vista transformation pack for Win XP ??? :confused:

i dont knw wat tat means, but i hv installed Win XP Pro+SP3+Vista Transformation pack and this is the screenshot of my desktop:

*img7.pictiger.com/6af/17046080_th.jpg

-------------------

aytus

The Boss
goin off topic though.. but i dont think it will give you aero.. or the other effects .. btw ubuntu desktop looks much prettier to me with all its effects on and runs on my p4 wit 865 onboard.. tho vista runs too but without the aero..
also has anyone used alienGUI .. it,s cool too..
^^^ how did u get that sidebar and those gadgets???

anyone with any updates on studio xps 16 ???

wot do u guys think how will this global rescission going to affect the prices of laptops in india???

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^ well i got those sidebar gadgets via "Windows Sidebar" :)

can u please post a screenshot of the uBUNTU OS with all the effects ON ! :)

yup, nice ques asked abt the lappy prices !! im interested in it too, also abt the h/w prices for PCs..tat will be affected (be it a negative or a positive way).. :)
-------------

tusharlad

Down to Earth
hi guys .. some old pictures i,d like to share here:
*img174.imageshack.us/img174/5239/dell4rc5.th.jpg
the new 13 incher
*img513.imageshack.us/img513/8226/dell2rz6.th.jpg
end of xps1530
*img264.imageshack.us/img264/2742/dell5vc4.th.jpg
what i and most of u would be interested in maybe? it seems dell is going hybrid sli way. (i would say most exciting is hybrid sli.. , though i have some doubts on its implementation . i thought it needed an nvidia based motherboard to function , is dell dumping intel mobos?? ) read more here *www.nvidia.com/object/hybridsli_notebook.html

Hi ! everyone,
Its november and Dell is not taking any move regarding Centrino 2 or 9xxx GPU.
one sales person from dell told me that it may take 2-3 months to supply their models with this upgraded components.
BTW @ Aytus
from where have you got this pictures about Studio-XPS.
I am going to put order for XPS 1530 with T9300 2.5 GHz 6mb cache 800mhz FSB, and 1680x1050 display.
How is it ? should I wait for Centrino 2 or go for now ?
please reply soon as I m already under negotation with DELL?

My system is configured at Rs 73000 after discount as I also have selected TV tuner card. Dell is not ready to give any more discount I am asking for 70000.
Is there any one who has negotiated about price and got the major discount.

^^ thanx for the screenies. :D

but according to the 2nd screenshot, does that alarm a signal(to the consumers like us) tat DELL is discontinuing its XPS models (1330,1530 and 1730) after nov, 2008 ?? but will still continue delivering the Studio models ??

If yes, then is the Studio model better than the XPS one , in terms of performance, looks (i guess its better than XPS as per the screenshots and smaller too) and configuration ?? if NO, then i will go and buy the XPS 1530 latest by Oct,2008..
-------------------

:eek:ff topic: is there any news on DELL's new range of Lappy's on the 9xxx GPUs ?
-------------------

Cheers n e-peace...

I think XPS are far better in both look and configuration

Last edited:

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

yup, i knw XPS model is really good in terms of looks as well as performance.. :)

also, if the DELL's representative are telling tat the newer models will take 2-3 months time and IF they provide 9xxx series of gpu, then im ready to wait, as it is its been 6 months tat i hv been waiting jus for the 9xxx series and a newer processor in DELL lappys... :(

btw, i hv found this info abt DELL lappy's regarding the GPUs tat each model comes with (its for ur info as well as for every1's info too, have a look) :)

I am posting this info (below one) in as many lappy threads as i can, jus that ppl get info abt the gpus of DELL lappys.. :)

the INSPIRON SERIES:

1.) Inspiron 1525: comes ONLY with Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
and even the customisation option has NO other option to change this card.

2.) Inspiron Mini 9: comes ONLY with Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 950
and with NO customisation

3.) Inspiron 13 & Inspiron 14: comes ONLY Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
and with NO customisation
================================================== ===================
------------------------------------

the STUDIO SERIES:

1.) Studio 15: comes ONLY with 256 MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450
and the customisation has NO other option to change this card.

2.) Studio 17: comes ONLY with 256 MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
------------------------------------

the XPS SERIES:

1.) XPS 1330: comes with Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
and the customisation option has ANOTHER option of a 128MB nVIDIA Ge Force 8400 M GS at an added cost of Rs.4281/- (replacing the X3100)

2.) XPS 1530: comes with ONLY 256 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT

3.) XPS 1730: comes with Dual 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT graphics with NVIDIA SLI Technology
and the customisation option has ANOTHER option of a
Dual 512 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTX graphics with NVIDIA SLI Technology at an added cost of Rs.28,050/- (replacing the 256 MB 8700M GT)
---------------

Cheers n e-peace...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom