Wow Is Now....

Status
Not open for further replies.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
It's so easy to get cash :D.........

"Security experts have hacked ATMs to show how easy it is to steal money and bank account details from modern cash machines."

Read On

din

Tribal Boy
I am not sure whether you know, UTI Bank (now Axis Bank) ATM runs on Windows 2000 ! I know it personally.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
^^^
Really, is it true?
how can you say so?

I Think ATM are NOT connected to internet, they use intranet

din

Tribal Boy
@gary4gar

Yes it is true ! I know it is not easy to find as we do not spend a lot of time in any ATM. anyway here is how I found that.

Happened 1 yr back I think. I went to UTI Bank ATM, before inserting the card, I saw a strange message - That was very similar to the one we see in our PC, I mean the message window. The message was something about licensing. License expires on so and so date, so do something etc. It was written 'Windows Server' somewhere in the message.

I posted the incident in Thinkdigit forum but even I was not 100% sure it is windows.

Recently I went to the same ATM. Two girls were waiting outside the ATM and some technicians (electrical section) were doing something in the ATM room. The girl was like worried, she was talking to the other girl - I do not know what my Dad will tell if he know about it. Then she asked me whats the procedure if the ATM card get stuck in the machine !

The problem was power was down and the alternative source, I guess some sort of UPS also went down / failed when the girl inserted the card.

After some time the technicians repaired / fixed the UPS and guess what ?

The ATM machine 'booted' showing the familiar - Windows 2000 boot screen !

Also, ATM and core banking machines (servers) are connected to either BSNL line (yes, that is correct !) or to direct linking (some antenna like that of tata sky) to the satellite or so. But those are not the normal lines I think, and not connected to internet, may be intranet for the particular bank / network.

Edit : BSNL lines - may be different in different places, I mean may be some other provide the lines in other areas of India.

praka123

left this forum longback
STATE BANK ATM's connects to their bombay server's for transaction.using a Dish for communication.
came to know once ATM was down and the bank guy said.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
yes .. even SBI ATM machines uses Windows 2000 ! now XP professional
;)

the actual PC will be hidden behind. in every ATM there is secret door which obviously many cannot figure out.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Yeah, i have seen to that Door.
There whole of Routers and other networking equipment kept there.
I have seen it myself

din

Tribal Boy
No, I do not think it is connected to internet, I think its their intranet. May be Batty can confirm.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Yep true, I've seen Windows 2k/XP bootin in many ATMs.

Now for some lighter moments: :D

ATM gets pwned!

*www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2003/08/20/downed-windows-atm---the-pictures

Activation on ATM??!!!

Command prompt!

Enter password to withdraw cash!

End Program??? (Don't forget to check the video at the bottom of the page!)

Sorry, BSOD!!!

Win98 in 2006??!!!

XP Booting...

NOTE: PLZ DO NOT START A WINDOWS VS. LINUX WAR HERE!!! Enjoy these moments! For your viewing pleasure only :D

fun2sh

Pawned!... Beyond GODLIKE
wel i can get to know everything abt SBI atm as my dad is chief manager there.but i never bothered to ask him.wil ask him abt all the system one day.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Most of the ATMs haf now migrated from OS/2 to Windows. An observation: Uptimes of Win2K based ATMs is more than their XP counterparts!!!

OP
NucleusKore

NucleusKore

TheSaint
were you having a little problem giving more detail here.. atleast some more text.. :p

The little text I have mentioned in double quotes in the post IS from the article. I did not want to mention any OS, that might have put off some people and discouraged them from even bothering to look at the article.

blackpearl

The Devil
Even SBI ATMs run on Windows NT or something. One day I saw the command prompt running when I went to withdraw money. I started playing with the interface but a man standing next to it said, "mat karo. kharab ho jayega". So I stopped messing around. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom