Wow Is Now....

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bigdaddy486

What's intranet? sorry, got from wikipedia..........

There was a news a year ago that one man's money in an atm when transfered to his account in india changed to another man's account. The second man who was struggling for his daughter's marrage, when released some money from his account, the slip showed that 1.5 crore were left in his account instead of 20,000...........

I think it is true if my memory is in straight way............ I have read it somewhere..........

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
So now this is confirmed they Most banks use Windows platform.

Now next question, how secure they are?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Citibank ATM's too run on Windows 2k. Once the ATM restarted and we saw the whole windows booting thing and in the end the ATM app came up :)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Well, My concern was

How safe is your money in ATMs

can the security be compromised?

I do not wish to target any specific plaform
Hmm.. depends. But doesn't depend on OS :)) The network should transmit all your credentials (PIN, card no., etc.) in encrypted form. The OS doesn't haf any role in security. All it is concerned with is the uptime (or downtime with 'certain' OS' :D)

vaithy

In the zone
For information,

ELCOT , the T.N. undertaking has already released it's first ever Linux ATM machine, at the cost of One fourth of existing ATM system machines,
1.Cost reduction due to saving in operating system cost: 90% cost of the operating system will be saved as ELCOT uses SUSE Linux, which is an Open Source Operating System.

2.Free from Viruses: SUSE Linux, like any other Linux operating system has proved to be completely secure from viruses. 90% of the Desktop Systems in ELCOT run on SUSE Linux only. 100% of the Rack Servers in ELCOT run either on SUSE Linux or Redhat Linux Operating System. It has been the experience of ELCOT that the Linux Operating System is completely protected from virus nuisances and security threats.

3.No System Hanging Problem: There is no system hanging problem associated with SUSE Linux Operating System. Hence, the customers will not suffer any loss due to down time.

4.Network and Remote Control Features: ELCOT's Linux ATM comes with network features and remote administration features. The client will be able to control the ATM from anywhere in the World.

5.Wireless Network Compatibility: ELCOT\'s Linux ATM comes with Linux powered wireless network system. Any Internet data card with Linux compatibility can be enabled to make the ATM wire free with fool proof security.

6.Biometric Authentication: Biometric Authentication option is available at a mild extra cost of Rs. 10,000/-.

ELCOT would file necessary patent for the World's first ever Linux ATM. AGT Electronics Limited, Coimbatore is a Joint Venture Company of ELCOT, wherein the Managing Director, ELCOT is the Chairman of the Company. Mr. Thangaraj, who presently holds the post of Chairman in Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), Coimbatore Region is the Managing Director of this Company. Mr. Thangaraj is a very innovative upright person who has brilliant ideas about new areas in Information Technology. The Managing Director, ELCOT provided him the task of developing the Linux ATM. Necessary fund support and review support was provided by ELCOT. Mr. Thangaraj and his team accomplished the first prototype of the ATM which happened to be a completely workable model even at the first prototype stage. ELCOT congratulates Mr. Thangaraj and his team for this remarkable achievement.

vaithy

In the zone
Interesting... :)

yes another feature that I missed to post is

Windows and Linux Compatibility: ELCOT's Linux ATM can parallely work with Windows Operating System and also Linux Operating System. The Linux driven ATM can interact with the Windows Network System using Samba server. It is yet another unique advantage with ELCOT's ATM. ELCOT also has a Windows version of the ATM.
So Windows based organizations also can avail this opportunity. For further details contact md@elcot.in
*www.elcot.in/news_view_more.php?id=87

din

Tribal Boy
Thanks a lot Vaithy, for the info. Never knew / heard about it.

Biometric Authentication, Windows and Linux Compatibility etc sounds great.

Only thing worries me (not about ATM, but about this forum lol), there is a chance of OS war now ! Hope it does not happen :)

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
5.Wireless Network Compatibility: ELCOT\'s Linux ATM comes with Linux powered wireless network system. Any Internet data card with Linux compatibility can be enabled to make the ATM wire free with fool proof security.

how is this possible?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ It means that there is no need of any "dish" or whatever connectivity for the atm to connect to the bank's network (if i perceived it right).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom