Worlds fastest net

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
A 75 year old woman from Karlstad in central Sweden has been thrust into the IT history books - with the world's fastest internet connection.

Sigbritt Löthberg's home has been supplied with a blistering 40 Gigabits per second connection, many thousands of times faster than the average residential link and the first time ever that a home user has experienced such a high speed.

But Sigbritt, who had never had a computer until now, is no ordinary 75 year old. She is the mother of Swedish internet legend Peter Löthberg who, along with Karlstad Stadsnät, the local council's network arm, has arranged the connection.

"This is more than just a demonstration," said network boss Hafsteinn Jonsson.

"As a network owner we're trying to persuade internet operators to invest in faster connections. And Peter Löthberg wanted to show how you can build a low price, high capacity line over long distances," he told The Local.

Sigbritt will now be able to enjoy 1,500 high definition HDTV channels simultaneously. Or, if there is nothing worth watching there, she will be able to download a full high definition DVD in just two seconds.

The secret behind Sigbritt's ultra-fast connection is a new modulation technique which allows data to be transferred directly between two routers up to 2,000 kilometres apart, with no intermediary transponders.

According to Karlstad Stadsnät the distance is, in theory, unlimited - there is no data loss as long as the fibre is in place.

"I want to show that there are other methods than the old fashioned ways such as copper wires and radio, which lack the possibilities that fibre has," said Peter Löthberg, who now works at Cisco.

Cisco contributed to the project but the point, said Hafsteinn Jonsson, is that fibre technology makes such high speed connections technically and commercially viable.

"The most difficult part of the whole project was installing Windows on Sigbritt's PC," said Jonsson.

God please i want this
Sigbritt, 75, has world's fastest broadband - The Local

Sujeet

Undead!!!
LOL Thats 4-5 yr Old News."Granny Has The fastest Connection"-article featured in Digit in 2006 if i remember correctly.

Last edited:

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
Old news, already mentioned in the magazine a few years ago. They also mentioned the bandwidth-hogging activities Granny would be able to do with that connection - reading up cooking recipes on the Net, checking her mail, Skype-ing etc. :lol:

R2K

In the Zone
Thats before 5 years ?
Now she might have upgraded and doubled the speed :D
But downloading a full HD movie in 2 seconds is kinda odd. Can the HDD handle that kinda speed ?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
sigh.. people will never be satisfied with their internet connection .. how much stuff do you want to download anyway?

OP
theserpent

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
sigh.. people will never be satisfied with their internet connection .. how much stuff do you want to download anyway?

Like money creates greed.
Internet speed creates more greed
if this plan comes to india
40 Gbps-15k a month-fup-2 gb-512 kbps.

Last edited:

Niilesh

Padawan
I read somewhere9GAG that she uses it for normal surfing. :facepalm:
BTW that much speed is of no used unless she has a RAID config.

OP
theserpent

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
maybe our children will get if there will be no corruption....or much corruption(hacking).

our children?Lol....for then next 20-35 years not possible.Maybe our great grand children?

why
"The most difficult part of the whole project was installing Windows on Sigbritt's PC," said Jonsson.

doomgiver

Warframe
our parents had to do with 33.6 dialup, and their parents had to do with morse code.

let us consider ourselves lucky to even get 1% of that speed.

I read somewhere9GAG that she uses it for normal surfing. :facepalm:
BTW that much speed is of no used unless she has a RAID config.

atleast 8 SATA 6 Gbps SSDs in Raid 0 will be needed to download data with that speed.

our parents had to do with 33.6 dialup, and their parents had to do with morse code.

let us consider ourselves lucky to even get 1% of that speed.

% of that will be 400 Mbps i.e. 50 MBps i.e. an 8 GB Full HD Rip in less than 3 Mins. Yeah ...i will consider myself lucky if i get that speed ! :D :mrgreen::cool:

Top Bottom