wireless in suse 10.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

saurabhgoogle

Right off the assembly line
hi
i am having a problem in wireless in my laptop.i have suse 10.2 system.wireless is detected and showing name ipw 200 etc...we have automatic dhcp from our colege here.the problem occurs when i attempt to connect to any one the showing wifi points named himalaya hostel2(eth1),it slows down when acquiring IP address.means it is unable to acquire ip adress during connection.the problem may be of timeout error.As n when i wrote ping 172.31.1.200 in x-terminal as told by our dept,following message occurs as- destination host unreachable.
can anbody help me out here.

mediator

Technomancer
Please give the following details
1. If its encrypted network or open
2. How u connect, thru some configuration or network-manager
Any other info u can provide!

Aberforth

The Internationalist
It could be one of the common problems

1> The encryption method is wrongly selected for a given passphrase or it is ignored. Authentication networks use WPA-PSK, WEP, WPA Enterprise or other encryption which you have to select and give the correct passphrase.

2> The connection strength may be weak or the DHCP server unresponsive. Check the same connection with Windows so that we can rule out this case.

You will get 'destination host unreachable' message if you are not connected to the network so this does not relate directly to your problem. Ask your network manager if they have WPA or WEP encryption.

If both of them aren't the case, post here. :)

OP
S

saurabhgoogle

i think our wifi is open not encryted.when i open in windows,i can access internet it means that network is not slow.also suse itself is showing 60% strength on the bar graph.we have dns server here.earlier when i was having mandriva,ipw license was missing,then i got it from sourceforge.net than copied in forum folder,n wireless works n got connected (means there was not problem related to acquiring of IP address in mandriva,it was just automatic).
in our server we have cyberroamcorporate client where we have to use our ids and passwords.i think it is not creating the problem.
but problem lies in ----------------
"suse is showing the name of access point,but how he is not able to get the packets from that?????what could be problem.why he is not able to get connected to that access point although he is showing its name correctly????"

mediator

Technomancer
saurabhgoogle said:
hi
i am having a problem in wireless in my laptop.i have suse 10.2 system.wireless is detected and showing name ipw 200 etc...we have automatic dhcp from our colege here.the problem occurs when i attempt to connect to any one the showing wifi points named himalaya hostel2(eth1),it slows down when acquiring IP address.means it is unable to acquire ip adress during connection.the problem may be of timeout error.As n when i wrote ping 172.31.1.200 in x-terminal as told by our dept,following message occurs as- destination host unreachable.
can anbody help me out here.
Ping will work when u have an established network! It is used to check if ur machine is connected to the network. Therefore in ur case, u get the unreachable msg!

MAndriva got connected right? Were u able to surf?

If thats the case and If u can't connect thru Suse, then it means the network admin has encrypted the network, so that only authorised people can use it. Connecting to open networks is a child's play. U don't even have to do some special configurations.

I have a laptop. And in my locality, it shows around 7 networks sometimes. 2 r open, that can used by me :D. The rest r encrypted.

I get stuck too when connecting to encrypted networks on acquiring ip address stage....coz I haven't filled the key. U need to configure when using encrypted network!

I suggest u install "wifi-radar" on ur machine. It will display if the network is open or encrypted. Its most probably encrypted. So, U will have to ask the network admin for the key.

OP
S

saurabhgoogle

ya i was able to surf on mandriva.firstly i will contact ur network administrator and then will tell whether it is encrypted or not.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/C:\Documents and Settings\saurabh\Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom