windows xp in latest dell inspiron laptops

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
im about to buy a new laptop. i have options from vostro and inspiron series....

which one should i opt for....within budget 36-37k

my needs are basic... normal home user.

and is it true that a 64bit inspiron series (like 14r etc) cannot install windows xp. if i can do we have drivers. n how is vostro series? can it have xp if inspiron cannot. i may plan to downgrade later to xp.

Thanks in advance

Enjoy~!

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
I dont think its worth using Windows XP in new lappys. It probably wont be able to make use of full hardware and besides its very old.

Any specific reason why you want to use :?:

Tenida

Gadget Freak
Windows 7 is more faster and safer than Windows XP.Choose lappy based on Win7.Microsoft will also stop giving security- updates related to WIN XP

d3p

PowerHouse
im about to buy a new laptop. i have options from vostro and inspiron series....

which one should i opt for....within budget 36-37k

my needs are basic... normal home user.

and is it true that a 64bit inspiron series (like 14r etc) cannot install windows xp. if i can do we have drivers. n how is vostro series? can it have xp if inspiron cannot. i may plan to downgrade later to xp.

Thanks in advance

Enjoy~!

Most of the laptop these days are preinstalled with Win 7 or no OS.

Dell laptops are preinstalled with Win 7. So if you want to install XP by removing Win 7 then you might loose the warranty.

If you get a laptop without any OS then get Win Xp 64 from any possible resource, if you have more than 4GB of RAM's & some second gen intel processors otherwise use XP or Win 7 doesn't make any difference.

But to make a note: Win xp support is already out, which means you won't get any more service packs or patch. So its pointless to use XP at this time.

Wrong Section !

Get a laptop with Win 7 and you can install win xp also . But I would also recommend that you use Win 7

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I think Windows XP is incompatible with the newer i-series processors.

Its totally wrong. AFAIK there is no processor which is incompatible with win-XP.
I'm self using i-series with xp installed alongwith win-7.

The problem is the BIOS dell is giving; it doesn't supports installation of xp, doesn't matter you change the mode of HDD to whatever, as its the traditional solution. All the BIOS's i.e, A00, A01 ,A02 ,A03 ,A04 ,A05 ,A08 don't support it. You can install xp by flashing the BIOS with a diff version which supports xp. But the best solution I'd suggest you is U can install XP on Dell inspiron 15 / 15R laptops, all u have to do is download sata-raid drivers from intel's website and integrate it in winxp CD using nlite or any other software. Although u may face some incompatibility issues. You can also use virtual machine. But since the intel i3,i5,i7 are designed for 64bit architecture motherboards, there is no guaranteed compatiblity with XP 32 bit. I like XP myself, but I know the 64bit machines run faster on a 64bit OS. So if you got the i7, just invest in 4GB ram or more to run Win7 faster.

Last edited:

d3p

PowerHouse
^^ i have installed Win7 x86 ultimate in Lenovo G430 Laptop, whose config is just mere Dual Core & ddr2 2GB ram. Its runs fine for browsing, office works, torrent application, HD Movies, Games like Pocket tank & Motoracer can be played without any issues.

So IMO stick to win 7...

Top Bottom