Windows XP backup & restore?

dude_gamer

Half Life2-Follow Freeman
I want to backup my whole window XP (C:drive) Along with the installed software.because some time windows fail to boot & hardware engineer come & install fresh windows XP & charge me 200/-. Is there any Software which restore my full C: drive without any trouble & with compressed so it copied in DVD 4.7GB.

If i backup my whole C drive in to E drive is there any way to restore from E drive when my windows fail to boot.

or

i have to make backup into the DVD?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
you can try EASUS todo backup or Macrium Reflect FREE Edition. not sure if it'll compress to 4.3Gb else you'll need multiple dvds.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Better to learn reinstallation of XP yourself! It's a child's play if you know what you are doing! :-D

Anyway.. personally never used such backup software, but heard Norton Ghost is a good solution.

khmadhu

change is constant!!
IMO, for drive imaging acronis is good, compresses more.. but its commercial, if u want a good one in free edition try clonezilla

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
installing XP is like taking a 30min break. but installing the softwares & drives, thats the hard part.

Well, for me the later part is another 1 hour break. :))

It isn't a problem if you have the driver CD in one hand and software's DVD in another. ;)

sakumar79

Technomancer
What I do is keep a partition where I put up installation files of essential software like drivers, antivirus, etc... After reinstall, I run the installers one after the other from the partition... This is much faster...

Arun

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ That's good, with just a teenee weene problem.

If say, your computer is infected with a virus, and you need to format the OS drive, the setup's of those softwares won't be reliable enough. And if you decide to first scan them with an updated antivirus, then, trust me, DVD would be the better and wise decision. :-D

OP
dude_gamer

dude_gamer

thanks for your help i used Nero backup but it save backup of my system drive with compressed(16GB Data to 12 GB)so, it is difficult to burn in DVD (i.e use 3 DVD )so, now i am looking for the software which make compressed image file of whole system drive shall i go with Norton ghost or Acronics true image or any other software which make image file which burn in to DVD.

clmlbx

Technomancer
I have not used it for years but what I remember and by experience norton ghost is faster and better then acronis.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
thanks for your help i used Nero backup but it save backup of my system drive with compressed(16GB Data to 12 GB)so, it is difficult to burn in DVD (i.e use 3 DVD )so, now i am looking for the software which make compressed image file of whole system drive shall i go with Norton ghost or Acronics true image or any other software which make image file which burn in to DVD.

I don't think there wud be any which will compress such huge data to 4.5GB DVD :chinscratch:

OP
dude_gamer

dude_gamer

I don't think there wud be any which will compress such huge data to 4.5GB DVD :chinscratch:

Yes you are right Zangetsu i also tried norton ghost the backup size still more then 12 GB. it is impossible to to compressed.but after google search faster & smoother way is use norton ghost & backup system drive to secondary or extarnal hard disk.so now i am trying to use this method to backup.but i don't know how?

clmlbx

Technomancer
you can not fit it in a DVD but I remember Norton ghost give an option to Backup in DVD's by dividing them according to size you wish.. say here you divide it in 4GB X 3 disc = 12Gb Data

OP
dude_gamer

dude_gamer

you can not fit it in a DVD but I remember Norton ghost give an option to Backup in DVD's by dividing them according to size you wish.. say here you divide it in 4GB X 3 disc = 12Gb Data

If i save backup in my E drive then boot fail due to virus attack & windows cant start then how can i recover that backup from E drive.is there anyway

clmlbx

Technomancer
create Norton ghost startup disk. now when your computer fails to boot .. insert that startup disk and boot from it.. computer will start norton ghost and then you can recover whole data.. I believe it will also show your disks so you can select your Backup when it asks to restore from which Image.. or something like that...

I have not used it for a while so better check this

OP
dude_gamer

dude_gamer

create Norton ghost startup disk. now when your computer fails to boot .. insert that startup disk and boot from it.. computer will start norton ghost and then you can recover whole data.. I believe it will also show your disks so you can select your Backup when it asks to restore from which Image.. or something like that...

I have not used it for a while so better check this

yesterday i downloaded software but i don't know how to make start up disk for the same.

clmlbx

Technomancer
verify the process now when everything is working.. to be safe from frustration when your windows actually crashes and Norton ghost does not work because you miss something..

Do whole process till last checkpoint.. or do that too if you have most recent Backup..

Top Bottom