Windows Vista RC1 : A user review

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
G

gxsaurav

i do have a legal key for this, but whats the point of activating a beta OS & use it, when most of my workstation apps (read 3DS Max & few others) don't work on it

besides, i need the 15 gb space now for other work too. in these 14 days i have checked vista compleately, well...almost i think, sans for the tablet PC component etc

kool

Cyborg Agent
i've 40gb hdd, 512 mb ram, intel celeron d, 2.66Ghz. can i install??? whats new feauture???

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Yes, you can install it.

The first and most noticeable feature is the totally updated look. The Aero interface, three dimensional window navigation, live preview... everything! Apart from that, it has excellent hardware support. I just installed it on my machine and every piece of hardware was automatically installed without even notifying me. Did not even have to click an 'OK' button. Mind blowing! And they have learnt something from Apple Mac OS X Tiger 10.4. Spotlight has been renamed to 'Live Search' and has been implemented properly. It returns instant results in an organised manner. I loved it! You have to use it to believe it. It does not feel like a Microsoft product. :)

OP
G

gxsaurav

aryayush

Correction, Live Search was first shown & demonstrated by Microsoft during Longhorn 3XXX build days, Aplle just copied the idea & implemented it before Vista, cos Vista is not just about instant search, however Apple is about that as they released MacOS X Panther & Tigar with Spotlight, which was a new feature because of Which u were supposed to upgrade

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
gxsaurav said:
aryayush

Correction, Live Search was first shown & demonstrated by Microsoft during Longhorn 3XXX build days, Aplle just copied the idea & implemented it before Vista, cos Vista is not just about instant search, however Apple is about that as they released MacOS X Panther & Tigar with Spotlight, which was a new feature because of Which u were supposed to upgrade

Ya thats true , spotlight was first shown by MS but apple implemented it first(in a very well manner) as they keep releasing OS's .

OP
G

gxsaurav

breaking news

Microsoft has relesed near RTM build of Vista, click here to download, 2.7 GB for 32 bit edition

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Official Links: *download.windowsvista.com/preview/rc1/en/download-5728.htm

64 bit: *download.windowsvista.com/dl/previ...060917-1430_x64fre_client-LRMCxFRE_EN_DVD.iso

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
OK.. after thinking much over buying a new 320 GB HDD and failing to buy it coz of lack of bucks, I decided to try Windows Vista RC1 5600.

I have been trying this from Pre-Longhorn Days and have tested all versions till BETA 1. Skipped BETA 2 For sum unknown reason and now installed RC1 successfully.

The review by gxsaurav is cool and gr88 and I just wanted to post my
experiences:

** The installation took exactly 28 minutes to complete on my rig. :) :)
User installation experience is definitely improved and really fast.

** After installation, all configuration went succesfully w/o ne hitches.
nVidia Drivers, 865 GBF INF/Sound went successfully too. Though I had to install SOUNDMAX drives Via web update. :) :)

** All required softwares like Firefox 2.0 BETA 2, Opera 9.02, TweakVI, K-Lite Codec Pack 2.77 and some other small softies installed smoothly like breeze. :) :)

** Even with all default services running, the UI is definitely fast and smooth. :) :)

** Updates and Validation were fast. The Internet Connection speed is really fast in Vista. I dunno why. :)

** Overall an xcellent OS by MS. Will appeal to both newbiez and Power users alike.

** Guys, this FireFox 2.0 BETA 2 is ULTRA FAST in operation. Takes less than 2 secs to load under Win Vista with 2 Extensions installed. A screenie below

*img132.imageshack.us/img132/2645/tempvx5.th.jpg

jz2linkinpark

Ambassador of Buzz
hey guys, i've decided to downloaded this thing tonight, but i have a few questions:
i have Win-XP installed on a 320gb SATA hard-drive, and i dont want vista to interfere with that drive
i will install it on an my other 120gb harddrive, which uses the same cable as my dvd-rw, thats okay right?
i have an ASUS dvd-rw but no blank media, so now what am i supposed to do?
Finally, my most important question. I OCed MY C2D E6300 TO SOMEWHERE CLOSE TO 3GHZ, SO WILL THIS AFFECT MY PROCESSOR IF I LEAVE IT ON THE WHOLE NIGHT(to download)?SHOULD I LOAD OPTIMIZED DEFAULTS AND DECREASE CORE SPEED TO 700MHZ?(THATS THE LOWEST I CAN GET)
hey, where am i supposed to get a key for it?(started download,average speed, around 200KB/sec , time left=4hrs 19minutes

AshishSharma

Livin' in the ghetto
What are the upgrades in the new build 5728 from 5600 ? Has nyone tested it so far? Worth upgrading from 5600 ?

OP
G

gxsaurav

there is hardly any notable change other then the usual bug fixes

nagarjun_424

Journeyman
Hey, I have an official key from Microsoft for Windows Vista RC1. How long will mine work for?

I am yet to order a copy of RC1 DVD for Rs.700. I do not want to keep my laptop on overnight to download Vista. Can I install Vista on a 80GB 256MB P4 2.4 Ghz with XP already on it?

Does anyone have Vista RC1 in Bangalore? Can I borrow it from you? Can I use the key I have with that or, is it compulsary for me to order or directly download?

clmlbx

Technomancer
nagarjun_424 said:
Hey, I have an official key from Microsoft for Windows Vista RC1. How long will mine work for?

I am yet to order a copy of RC1 DVD for Rs.700. I do not want to keep my laptop on overnight to download Vista. Can I install Vista on a 80GB 256MB P4 2.4 Ghz with XP already on it?

Does anyone have Vista RC1 in Bangalore? Can I borrow it from you? Can I use the key I have with that or, is it compulsary for me to order or directly download?

your vista will work till june 2007 .

yes u can install vista on ur config with xp already ( using dual booting )

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
To add to that, you can share one key with 10 PC's. So even if you don't have your own key, you can share it from someone else.

nagarjun_424

Journeyman
I just became a member of merawindows.com as I heard that you can get free copies of Vista RC1. I don't understand how to order it. Can someone please tell me how to do this?

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
No, u cannot order RC1 DVDs....first update u r profile and enter u r address...then give a caption and participate in the contest and u will get a free DVD for participation....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom