Windows Startup and Shutdown sounds do not play!

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
This always happens after a few days of reinstalling Windows. Initially both the sounds play while starting up or shutting down. But later they stop playing. All the other sounds play perfectly. Recently I've changed the default Windows XP sounds to the Vista sounds given in Vishal Gupta's excellent tutorial to make XP look like Vista. But still the startup and Shutdown sounds fail to play however others play perfectly. What has gone wrong?

OP
krazzy

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Tried that. All the sounds play except the Startup and Shutdown ones. Dunno whats wrong.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
Those startup and shutdown file sound file may have corrupt.

check those files in c:\windows\media folder.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Its a known bug in Windows XP. It happens when you disable default system beep using some tweaking software or manually.

Open regedit and goto:

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Sound
In right-side pane, change value of "Beep" to "yes". Restart your system and you should be able to listen those sounds again.

OP
krazzy

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Ahhh... Finally. Yes I've disabled those annoying beeps through the registry. They sound horrible and always startle me when I've got the earphones on. Guess I'll have to turn them ON though. Is there anyway to replace that annoying sound with something less annoying? BTW thanks for helping VG. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom