[WINDOWS PROBLEM] No programs are opening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarath

iDota
[SOLVED] (Windows problem) No programs are opening

PROBLEM RESOLVED

Thanks to everyone who has contributed.I couldn't have moved an inch without your support:

• dashing.sujay
  • Neuron
  • Tech&ME
  • s18000rpm
  • MatchBoxx
  • Sam
  • mithun_mrg
  • Liverpool_fan
  • Zangetsu
  • TheMost

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ORIGINAL POST

I just ran a virus scan, Avast, and it did a second "reboot scan" or something like that. After that when I booted my PC, I found that I could't open chrome, soon I realised I can't open any other program be it firefox, itunes, utorrent, garena client, vlc videos, WM Player or any program for that matter.

However IE is working for some reason. Also I can open jpg files. I am really worried as I don't remember doing a system restore point and also haven't backed up my files to do a clean install again.

During the virus scan, I selected "delete" for the files that had been detected. I am not sure if this was the reason. There were about three such files needing deletion.

:-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

Anyone?

Last edited:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Well, deleting virus infected-files should not be responsible for your problem. Before doing anything I'd suggest you to do a full scan with any good AV such as Kaspersky or Eset. If you are unable to install them, download Kaspersky's bootable cd and scan with it by booting from it. I guess the problem is due to some virus only which your AV, avast couldnt remove due to some reason. Once i came across a virus which disabled Kaspersky and i was in a condition like what to do :-? So first do a boot time scan with it and see what happens.

I don't remember doing a system restore point

PS- What do you actually mean by it? You don't remeber how to do or...? :-?

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Even system restore failed. It says the anti-virus needs to be disabled for that. But I can't even open the AV now.

Also the bottom right row of icons has suddenly reduced to just the bluetooth, realtek audio, and win update. The rest of the icons in the tab are missing.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
hmm I guessed sys restore wouldnt work. Anyways, but I'd really recommend you to try the kaspersky boot cd scanning. I have came across some viruses which dont let me open any single file, neither to install!! So, give it a try.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Hmm what exactly is kapersky boot cd scan?

I have a copy of kapersky from a friend. Now what do I do next?

you mean kapersky rescue disk? I am DLing it right now.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I guess you are reffering to services. Yeah, its obvious if so many programs are not working, services are ought to be stopped by virus. Just do a boot scan from that rescue cd and if all goes well, you'll be happy. But i seriously feel, if removal of all viruses will bring back windows to its original state. You may need to "repair" your OS after that, but that shouldnt be a problem as it wont threat your data.

Last edited:
OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
I am unable to boot from the disk. I tried about 5 times now.

First few times I tried normally and waited for it to boot by itself like you said. Then I went to the EFI menu (newer BIOS) and chose to boot from the disk and it still loads Windows. Tried this thrice.

:-(

I feel pathetic. This is a PC i love more than anything else. :-(

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
@ sarath i think ur pc was infected with win32sality ur best bet is to install norton or kaspersky perform a complete scan backup ur files & reinstall the os

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I am unable to boot from the disk. I tried about 5 times now.

First few times I tried normally and waited for it to boot by itself like you said. Then I went to the EFI menu (newer BIOS) and chose to boot from the disk and it still loads Windows. Tried this thrice.

:-(

I feel pathetic. This is a PC i love more than anything else. :-(

Check this- How to record Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 to a CD/DVD and boot my computer from the disk?

Kaspersky rescue disks are made to boot by self, i don't know why yours not booted. Did you download it from kaspersky's site? If no, do it from there.

PS- If everything fails booting from that cd, try Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool and scan your PC in safe mode.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
During the virus scan, I selected "delete" for the files that had been detected. I am not sure if this was the reason. There were about three such files needing deletion.

perhaps this may be the reason the programs r not opening...

scan with other anti virus such as Bitdefender or Avira..

& then re-install the programs which were not opening.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
First try burning the kaspersky image at lower speed, preferably at 4x speed.
This kind of thing happened to me, but the reason was ccleaner's registry cleaner.

Luckily I had tune up utility, only its One Click Maintenance saved the day for me.
That to I had to run from task manager (file-run).
Btw, Why not try scanning in safe mode?

Tech&ME

Banned
Best solution would be to boot with a linux live cd, take backup of all your important files and data, then reinstall the windows OS ( fresh and clean install )

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
I burnt a the DVD-RW at 4x which was the only option.
Then I burnt a CD at 10x although the max was 16. Even the CD didn't work.

trying to install Kapersky Virus removal tool also didn't work. I think none of the .exe files can be executed. Nothing that exists already works.

I am worried as to how to backup the contents. Wont connecting a external drive corrupt/infect the ext drive too? I will try the linux method. Booting into the Kapersky disk has failed for the 12th time today despite selecting it in the EFI menu.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

I entered safe mode and did a system restore and it worked. I am not able to open most of the programs except AV.

Task Manager still shows many processes are stopped. Also Avast is disabled and on an attempt to enable it it promts that a program is trying to stop it.
Installing Kapersky also failed or didn't initiate and hanged my PC.

All in all I am sure that my PC is still infected.

Backup: Backing up my data is my main problem. Since it is infected, how can I safely transfer/back up my data into a portable HDD? Wont the virus infect the HDD also and then

Thanks everyone for your help. I am having sleepless nights because of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom