Windows Explorer vs Mac OS X Finder

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
arya u dumb ass salesman do this:

open finder ... select the folder say applications from the favorite list and drag it next to the finder icon in the dock and see what happens ... ur frickin idiot man ... what kinda salesman are u when u dont even know the product ur selling ...

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
yup thts wat i said it deletes it .... btw mac fool what do u have to say about ur gr8 column view ... i hope u saw the video

Last edited:
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Sorry, discussion & help about Mac OS X on a non-Apple topic is illegal here. All I can say is that google is your best friend.

One thing I found while working on Mac. Due to no full screen window concept, you end up with many windows on Mac. even those which are open stay above the dock. It is really very hard to work on mac on a 17" Monitor with 1024X768 pixel resolution.

goobimama

 Macboy
Command + H is your friend then...

Here's a nice one:

My friend who had recently bought the Macbook asked me how to transfer stuff from her old PC to the Mac via LAN. Asked me how to set up the Mac to connect with the PC.

"There's no settings to tinker on the Mac end", I said.
"Cannot be. Isn't it like a different system? I've heard of all incompatibilities n all" she said
"Well the settings have to be done with Windows (XP), nothing needs to be changed on the mac" I said.

Rightly enough, she had to run the network setup wizard (guidance from an idiot named Milind), "Share" each drive, and all that whatnot. She didn't have to change ONE setting on the mac. Nothing. Just plug the network in, and its done.

Last edited:
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I did it between Vista & XP Laptop. Just connected through LAN Cable & went to network center & clicked to auto discover a network or LAN & boom, node detected & network configured in instnat. Then just copied the projects.

It isn't that hard as u assume it to be.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
iMav said:
arya u dumb ass salesman do this:

open finder ... select the folder say applications from the favorite list and drag it next to the finder icon in the dock and see what happens ... ur frickin idiot man ... what kinda salesman are u when u dont even know the product ur selling ...
LOL! This is fun. :lol:

Those items in the Finder sidebar are virtual aliases. Dragging them anywhere out of the sidebar makes them go 'poof'. It has no relation to the Dock. Similarly, the icons in the Dock are also virtual aliases.

You are having trouble understanding a basic concept that even a six year old would catch on in an instant. I've never seen anyone having trouble using the Dock, of all things. Ha! Ha! :lol:

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
aryayush said:
LOL! This is fun. :lol:

Those items in the Finder sidebar are virtual aliases. Dragging them anywhere out of the sidebar makes them go 'poof'. It has no relation to the Dock. Similarly, the icons in the Dock are also virtual aliases.

You are having trouble understanding a basic concept that even a six year old would catch on in an instant. I've never seen anyone having trouble using the Dock, of all things. Ha! Ha! :lol:
Actually iMav isn't wrong. Read my point. Those virtual alias will delete itself if dragged anywhere else. But if dragged to dock it should go to the folder side of dock. If you bring it on dock & release it, it should go back to old place without getting deleted.

Last edited:
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Because according to you, Mac OS X supports full drag & drop & is very convinient to use. In this case it is not. This is whats natural....:D

In Windows Vista, we can drag & drop anything to the Quicklaunch area in taskbar to make a shortcut to it.

We can drag any folder to the sidebar to make a shortcut to that folder

We can drag any shortcut from favorite bar to QuickLaunch bar

We can drag any shortcut from favorite bar to any other explorer window or start menu.

We can drag & drop a file to an application in start menu & it will open with that app

We can drag & drop anything anywhere.

praka123

left this forum longback
In Vista,can u select some text,say from some editor or browser and drag them to desktop to make a text file?

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
In Vista,can u select some text,say from some editor or browser and drag them to desktop to make a text file?

That again depends on the application & application developer.

You will obviously need to open notepad, so just right click->new file on desktop which is not available in Mac, & make a new txt file & paste the text in it.

Or if the application supports, just drag & drop text from IE 7 to any compatible Text editor & it will paste it in there.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Heh gx, learn to say no to a few things. Drag-pasting is one thing, creating quick text files by just dropping is another.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
QwertyManiac said:
Heh gx, learn to say no to a few things. Drag-pasting is one thing, creating quick text files by just dropping is another.

Well, in that case I acknowledge. Windows Explorer in Vista doesn't allow you to drag & drop text from a web page to any explorer Window, to automatically save it as a Text file. You will need to copy paste the text you selected in a web page to a text file somewhere you create.

Personally I don't miss this feature. But it should be included. It makes sense to copy paste text to a text document in Windows Explorer which you can make anywhere in Explorer using the right click -> "New text document" method, a feature not available in Mac OS X.

Linux is beyond the scope of this thread, so is GNOME or KDE's ability. I do admit that the screen shot capturing method of Ubuntu is the best out there. Just press Print screen key & it will take a screen shot & ask u where to save it.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gx_saurav said:
We can drag & drop anything anywhere.
Ha! Ha! :lol:

The last thing a Windows user should be shouting about is the drag-and-drop functionality supported in the OS. It sucks.

I am curious though, what happens when you drag a shortcut out of the sidebar in Explorer to some other place? And how do you remove it? (I know, right click >> delete. Dragging it out is far more convenient.)

goobimama

 Macboy
Personally I don't miss this feature.

Oh! Suddenly someone doesn't find a feature interesting! I wonder why? Ah! Cause 'dows doesn't have it! Now of course Windows is allowed not to have some (many) features of the mac, but then again, I won't hold it against MS, unlike some people who just can't let go of the cut feature....

Anyway, that being said, drag and drop on windows is nothing like on the Mac...its a totally different trip, especially with expose...

It makes sense to copy paste text to a text document in Windows Explorer which you can make anywhere in Explorer using the right click -> "New text document" method, a feature not available in Mac OS X.

What's the point of creating an empty text document? I would rather open textedit, paste the stuff in there and then save it. This is just a long cut method which only newbies miss....and can be rectified with a little applescript...

Last edited:

The other one
I feel like dragging and dropping someone from this thread to a garbage bin, i wonder who is most compatible , a Mac user or a Windows . hmm....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom