Windows- delayed write failed error

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayanks_098

world is evil
friends,my friend gave me his external hd to get him some movies.

i was transferring data when suddenly this error showed up.(screenie in the attached file)

im on 1.5GB ram right now and during this my available ram dipped to a 14,000 k,even though taskman wasnt showing any process using drastic amont of ram.my pc sort of hanged.
and his external hd showed no files at all.

i couldnt remove the HD safely and and the error is showing again and again even after i again plugged in the HD.checked it with updated KIS for virus.

what is all this?help me.is his HD all right?

*i153.photobucket.com/albums/s236/mayanks_098/untitled.jpg

slugger

Banned
hmmmmm!!!!
u mite want 2 take out d external HDD [if possible, obviously] and attach it internally, instead of thru USB and den perform d data transfer

it might b bcos of conflicting IRQ of d external ports or bcos of buffer or cache problem sinc u mentioned d dip in memory

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
"Delayed Write Failed" error message when you manage files in Windows XP

SYMPTOMS
When you save or move documents or during general file-management activities in Windows XP, you may intermittently receive "Delayed Write Failed" error messages.

Back to the top
CAUSE
This issue may be caused if any of the following conditions exist: • The "Enable write caching on the disk" feature for your disk is turned on.
• Your Ultra Direct Memory Access (UDMA) hard disk controller is configured in either of the following ways: • You are using a 40-wire connector cable to connect the UDMA drive to the controller instead of the required 80-wire, 40-pin cable.
• Your BIOS settings are configured to force faster UDMA modes.

Back to the top
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue:
1. Make sure that your UDMA hard disk controller is using an 80-wire, 40-pin cable. For information about how to do so, view the documentation that is included with your computer, or contact your UDMA hard disk controller manufacturer. Test to determine if the issue is resolved. If the issue is resolved, do not complete the remaining steps. If the issue is not resolved, go to the next step.
2. Warning Do not change your BIOS settings unless you are very familiar with all the effects of changing BIOS settings.

Make sure that your BIOS settings are not configured to force faster UDMA modes. For information about how to do so, view the documentation that is included with your computer, or contact your computer manufacturer. Test to determine if the issue is resolved. If the issue is resolved, do not complete the remaining steps. If the issue is not resolved, go to the next step.
3. Turn off the "Enable write caching on the disk" feature:

Note If you turn off the "Enable write caching on the disk" feature, your disk performance may decrease. Because of this, you may want to monitor system performance after you complete the following procedure.
a. In Windows Explorer, right-click your hard-disk, and then click Properties.
b. Click the Hardware tab.
c. Click the hard disk, and then click Properties.
d. Click the Policies tab.
e. Click to clear the Enable write caching on the disk check box, and then click OK two times.
f. Repeat steps c-e for each hard disk that is installed in your computer.

More info and resolution in that link I gave.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
yeah even i screwed one partition of my HDD yesterday the same way.
Formatted the partition and now everything is okay.
just run checkdisk on the partition where delayed write failed error pointed

User Name

In the zone
hi i got the same problem.

my external hdd is already has turn off the "Enable write caching on the disk"

but still prob. is there.

this prob. occurs only when i try to transfer files from PC to External HDD.

whats the prob.

insaneYLN

In the zone
A big hello to all at the Think Digit forum..:smile:
i am a new member here & have joined this forum with a main purpose of Learning from all you tech experts :)
i will admit that i am a:noob:

Coming back to the main topic, a friend of mine gave me his 320GB Samsung USB hard disk & while i was running a virus scan (using Avast Home 4.8) i got a this "Windows Delayed Write Failed" pop-up in the taskbar.

as i am typing this post,Error-Checking is running (i have checked both the options, fixing file system errors & attempting recovery of bad sectors), but it has been stuck on 'Phase 4' for a very, very long time now..:sad:

i am tensed because, God forbid, if the data is lost then i may jeopardise our friendship, which i don't want to (have never done so) :-(

My friend isn't the tech type, so even if i try & explain that it isn't my fault, he will definitely not be convinced & i don't have money to buy him a new hard disk.

Please help me.. is it my fault??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom